Uniforms (or Costumes if you prefer)... Hits or Misses over the years.

Santa Clara Vanguard

Miss: 2002

My god, it's like the green escaped the confines of their pants and tried to devour the marchers. Not to mention the complete lack of any sort of trim or accent, and the jacket splits meant that at certain times you could possibly see no red outside of the plume. I'm a fan of green on SCV, but this was waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. EDIT: Also, never been a fan of the green pants/black shoes combo. Only uni I've ever seen come close to pulling it off was 2010-2013 Madison, and even then I had my hesitations. Here, they just look awful. Maybe the green's too bright.

I liked those uniforms and thought the expanded use of green was effective - particularly when they turned backfield and the entire uniform was green. They still looked very much like SCV.

Then again, maybe it's the fact that some of my favorite Vanguard shows were 2002, 2003 and 2004 - the years they had those uniforms.

• Like 2

Next up: Phantom Regiment

This one's interesting. I'm not exactly the biggest Phantom fan, and I really don't like their uniforms at all right now. I feel like the obvious choice for the hit would be the mid-90s all blacks, but I'm gonna hit you with the polar opposite side of the color spectrum—the 2010 whites were some of the sharpest, nicest uniforms in DCI history. It's a shame they went to that black crest mess the next year.

2fqx0WQ.jpg

The misses could be basically every uniform since 2011, but their most egregiously ugly uniforms were the early 00s tan jackets, especially with the red sash.

H6avrnI.jpg

I haven't read this thread enough to see if they've been mentioned or not, but I'm gonna say next up: Bluecoats

(edit: my first pick for next-up was Crossmen, but they've already been picked. Sigh.)

Edited by FuriousSoundbyte

I liked those uniforms and thought the expanded use of green was effective - particularly when they turned backfield and the entire uniform was green. They still looked very much like SCV.

Then again, maybe it's the fact that some of my favorite Vanguard shows were 2002, 2003 and 2004 - the years they had those uniforms.

Same here. On the uniforms and the fact that maybe it's because I love those shows too.

I must be in a MAHOOOSIVE minority, but...

I really liked the Phantom khaki uniforms.

:peek:

• Like 2

I must be in a MAHOOOSIVE minority, but...

I really liked the Phantom khaki uniforms.

:peek:

I did too. Khaki is a very common color used in the military, very "regimental," and the cut of the jacket was the same as most other Phantom Regiment jackets around that time. It was different for them, trying something other than all-white or all-black, and I thought it looked fine.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

Bluecoats

Hit: 2014

These just look so good to me. Even better than the 2007(?)-2012 Unis which I adore

tumblr_n7ysso7rKU1qhfqt5o1_500.jpg

The Miss: 1980

These things are just ugly.

1980Bluecoats.jpg

I nominate Spirit of Atlanta

Edit: forgot to add Bluecoats' name

Edited by MelloMatt

Spirit

Hit: Partial to the baby blues of '79 era, as well as '11 design.

Miss: '00 era with the dark blue, white bibs, red cummerbund, sequin chevron at waist & the red drum battery. All I could think of was The Patriots.

some skilled person will post pics of these for illumination.

Bluecoats

Hit: 2014

These just look so good to me. Even better than the 2007(?)-2012 Unis which I adore

tumblr_n7ysso7rKU1qhfqt5o1_500.jpg

The Miss: 1980

These things are just ugly.

1980Bluecoats.jpg

I nominate Spirit of Atlanta

Edit: forgot to add Bluecoats' name

I kind of picked Coats having a hard time remembering a distinctly ugly uniform. Totally forgot those frumps. lol.

Spirit

Hit: Partial to the baby blues of '79 era, as well as '11 design.

Miss: '00 era with the dark blue, white bibs, red cummerbund, sequin chevron at waist & the red drum battery. All I could think of was The Patriots.

some skilled person will post pics of these for illumination.

spirit-of-atlanta-2011a.jpg

1979Spirit.jpg

P7300046.jpg

• Like 1