Why are Bluecoats already being counted out of the top?

I've read some excellent points contributed over the past 2-3 pages. Sooo...at what point in the season would an accurate prediction of final finish/placement come to bear? I know, I know....some would/will say "after quarter/semi finals." For me, that doesn't seem like such an impressive prediction point.

I've read some excellent points contributed over the past 2-3 pages. Sooo...at what point in the season would an accurate prediction of final finish/placement come to bear? I know, I know....some would/will say "after quarter/semi finals." For me, that doesn't seem like such an impressive prediction point.

I'm personally making my final prediction before the first show of the year.

That could be. I think if there is good discourse w/some data analysis, discussion can be FAR more than "just hype." Looking at ranking history, fairly recent trends, etc. can be a pretty good indicator of where a corps COULD end up. You're right, of course, that talk is just that until corps start competing; however good discussion can be had with more than hype.

One could also make the argument that folks who downplay preseason discussion as "just talk" are usually doing so because their favorite is not being overly hyped up...

True, but my favorite corps the Blue Devils is not one to get much hype before the season starts, but they seem to do pretty well most years. I use to participate in these preseason predictions, but I found myself never really being objective. I do not know why but I always had BD at #1. Anyway, it can be fun, but I still think it is based more on what people want to happen instead of what people actually think will happen.

Another way of mentioning slotting.

I am not talking slotting. If those 4 or 5 corps do not change much it is because they are the 4 or 5 best that year. I did not say the order of the top 4 or 5 does not change. I am not a believer in the whole slotting controversy.

After First regional...not much movement from that point forward IMO...a little but not very much.

Edited by Liahona

Even after Finals, given things like Bluecoats beating Cadets for the first/only time in 2014 at the last show.

I'd guess after the first all-inclusive Regional you can start to get a good idea of who is competing with whom (like, Top 3, Top 6, Top 10, Finalists, etc).

True, but my favorite corps the Blue Devils is not one to get much hype before the season starts, but they seem to do pretty well most years. I use to participate in these preseason predictions, but I found myself never really being objective. I do not know why but I always had BD at #1. Anyway, it can be fun, but I still think it is based more on what people want to happen instead of what people actually think will happen.

That's accurate, I think. There's interesting discussion to be had, but it seems more often than not it's homer pulling for their corps or folks rooting against the corps they traditionally dislike

That's accurate, I think. There's interesting discussion to be had, but it seems more often than not it's homer pulling for their corps or folks rooting against the corps they traditionally dislike

Pulling for one's favorite corps to do well is a natural given. However, I could never see the sense (or lack of grace) in actually rooting against a group of kids just because one "dislikes" a corps.

Psychologists refer to this as the "peasent syndrome" of trying to put oneself up by putting someone else down.

I guess ya just can't teach class, despite the My Fair Lady and similar genre.

All that being said, it is another thing to embrace the reality of competitive odds whether last year's show was a fluke or the start of a new dynasty. This year will tell.

Edited by xandandl

Pulling for one's favorite corps to do well is a natural given. However, I could never see the sense (or lack of grace) in actually rooting against a group of kids just because one "dislikes" a corps.

Actually, over the years on DCP I think there's quite a bit of "rooting against" corps - and in the stands as well. This is sometimes related to the program that a particular corps is doing, but often it's just because of who they are. The DCI honor of being the bad guy is usually correlated with recent success or perceived advantages, of course.

I'd like to think that there's more people rooting for all/some corps than against, but much of the time it doesn't seem that way. As xandandl said, you can't teach class... and I'll add sportsmanship to that list as well.