Why are Bluecoats already being counted out of the top?

it's May. whoever scores highest at the last show of the year wins.

til then it's all conjecture and ########

Pretty much this. How people can justify slotting before the shows are even on the field speaks volumes to why there are issues with judging and preconceptions. Personally this reality hit me in 2012 in the early season for corps (whom we know well) scoring WAY above what was on the field OR what other units were actually accomplishing early season. I would LOVE to the judging be what is on the field and not the last year or years or what they are being told what is happening from "informal" meetings.

Edited by Mello Dude

As the person who made this topic i would like to apologize for creating such big controversy. I love the Bluecoats. I've always been a fan and maybe my opinion is a bit biased. After hearing many things about the 2015 Bluecoats I am certain they will not make a huge drop and will continue with their momentum. I have not heard their brass yet but from what I have heard they are once again amazing. And like I said the visual program definitely looks to be much improved! Let's hope design is the same if not better than last year!

Sorry for such a controversial topic!

-CC

This by DCP standards in not a controversial thread by any means.

In fact, it has opened a nice discussion of some factual and some educated opinions.

For many years there was an annual DCP thread done by a fellow who loved Bruckner and spoke about competitive inertia (how the same named units usually never moved very far) and why the 42 years of DCI competition have seen so few world class champions.

I've heard some of the backbiting and name calling also. I wonder how much is jealousy and how much is from fear that old groups who spawned some of the Bluecoats' staff now have to match Canton's creativity just to keep in place. Similar things happened with Crown.

I have to say I have enjoyed reading this thread and all the great comments and insights. It is a nice change to read some in depth analysis of some other corps. The threads about specific corps tend to dominate the discussions (not a bad thing)--like Cadets Crown and Madison, so it is nice to see some other corps analyzed for whatever reason. I would love to hear more about the Blue Devils for instance, but their thread doesn't come out until the season starts--it seems to me--maybe because it seems now a given they are always a contender or good bet ofr a win, that they aren't as discussable.. So anyway thanks to all the good posts.

I have to say I have enjoyed reading this thread and all the great comments and insights. It is a nice change to read some in depth analysis of some other corps. The threads about specific corps tend to dominate the discussions (not a bad thing)--like Cadets Crown and Madison, so it is nice to see some other corps analyzed for whatever reason. I would love to hear more about the Blue Devils for instance, but their thread doesn't come out until the season starts--it seems to me--maybe because it seems now a given they are always a contender or good bet ofr a win, that they aren't as discussable.. So anyway thanks to all the good posts.

I think the actual reason is because BD always announces their show and music super late. There'll be tons of discussion once it's announced.

• Like 1

As the person who made this topic i would like to apologize for creating such big controversy. I love the Bluecoats. I've always been a fan and maybe my opinion is a bit biased. After hearing many things about the 2015 Bluecoats I am certain they will not make a huge drop and will continue with their momentum. I have not heard their brass yet but from what I have heard they are once again amazing. And like I said the visual program definitely looks to be much improved! Let's hope design is the same if not better than last year!

Sorry for such a controversial topic!

-CC

No controversy, IMO: fund discussion though (note: I haven't read nearly all the post so if it got ugly somewhere I wouldn't blame yourself ContraCoats).

I would not consider myself a big Bluecoats fan, though coming from Cleveland and spending most of my life in Central OH I have dozens of friends who have marched the corps. I do think the last decade or so of the corps has been great, and they are one of the few corps where I have no preconception of their design and am always excited to see what they come up with. Even their design missteps (like the 'Imagine' show or whatever that was) were interesting and admirable missteps IMO. I think for me personally at this point, SCV, Crown, and Bluecoats are the only corps where I am annually excited to see what they come up with whereas my excitement is inconsistent for every other corps (based on show rep. or design announcement).

While I think in a data-based, historical way with my prediction of Bluecoats, I would love nothing more than to see them either hold onto their Top 3 position or even win. I really enjoy & respect their current design staff and would love to see them continue and excel!

I think the actual reason is because BD always announces their show and music super late. There'll be tons of discussion once it's announced.

I think the reason is because people criticizing Blue Devils on DCP are instantly labelled haters and they learn that it is not worth the hassle.

• Like 1