Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

Just in from a very enjoyable evening at BD's Family Day Preview. Could not have asked for more pleasant weather. The venue was fine; maybe not as preferable as DVC, but seeing as DVC had a scheduling conflict, it was either move to Los Madanos this year or hold Family Day at MARS. Personally I'm glad the decision was to go with the JC! :smile:

BDC: Hey, who doesn't like BDC?

BDB: Nice show, certainly worthy of a corps at the top of Open Class. Their percussion sounded very strong, and they had a few very competent brass soloists. They did the last part of the show in standstill; music was ready but apparently the drill is still in development. I think there is no doubt that they will once again be in contention to win Open Class.

BDA: The uniforms look good on the field. I was concerned from the still shots I had seen, that they might come across as too over the top. However, seeing them live on the field, calmed my concern. Enough similarity to last year's uniform to maintain continuity, but not so much of a radical change as to create confusion as to the corps identity. Unfortunately, Neither BDB nor BDA had their guard in uniform tonight. This made it somewhat difficult to get the full effect of their visual design. I was following an A Corps guard member who I assumed from her actions was a key "character" or focal point in the drill, but without the show uniform, it was difficult to judge what the impact she and other guard members will have on the overall visual effect. I look forward to seeing the corps again next week in Sacramento when I can see the total corps in full uniform. Lots of body movement carried out with BD's typical flare.

Musically, BD sounds great. The first word that comes to mind is Powerful. Loud, and good energy that is maintained throughout the show. Musically very solid. A bit heavy on the electronic bass at some points (at least for my taste) but not annoyingly so. If I have any complaint it is that the section where they play "The Children Will Listen" is too short! It is beautifully lush, and emotionally satisfying, but I want that section to last at least another thirty seconds, please.

Props. Yes, there are the signature white, modernistic BD props. But they work (at least for me) in general. The use of the "high chairs" was effective, and not at all distracting. I do have questions about the "wheeled platforms", in that I'm not sure how they fit into the show theme at this point. I'm thinking that they are not complete as of yet, with possibly some type of fronting to be added. Possibly some form of a fabric panel? Book covers? Letters and writing echoing the motif on the drums and guard uniforms? As they stand now, there is something just a bit out of sync with their look.

At the end of the night, BDA played the show again in standstill in order to make a recording which, if I heard correctly, will be posted on their website in the next few days.

Again, a very enjoyable evening, and from what I saw I'd expect BD to be in the medal hunt yet again.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review! Just to add - mind blown when BDB started playing "I am the Doctor" from Doctor Who. So fits the concept (Prismatic) and Murray Gold's music work for corps charts.

Also, congrats to Nick, the guest snare drummer, who fulfilled his dream of being part of the BD line that day.

Finally - lush is an understatement for "Children Will Listen." I can see this being the ballad of the season. With their K-Pop number being an audience participation number as the guard pulls fresh pop/hip hop dance moves.

Mav...off to figure out K-Pop

Heard from a friend who hasn't missed family day since 2010. He was highly disappointed in the A corps. He is a big fan of BD but thinks the championship is anyone's to win from what he saw last night. I guess we will find out where corps stack up soon enough.

Family Day was a great time.

If I had anything to add to what had already been said I would, but my seating was so awful (I was horrible and went late so I did not have to sit through C and B as I will see them next week), basically on the ground and close to the 20 yard line. I cannot really speak to the drill since my vantage point was poor.and of course the A corps sounded great, but I am a guard person. Their guard is excellent again, but with bad seating and no uniforms it seemed a bit like a rehearsal with lots of people watching. I should have just waited until next week when I will see them in SAC!

Edited by jmc5682

At the end of the night, BDA played the show again in standstill in order to make a recording which, if I heard correctly, will be posted on their website in the next few days.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your thoughts after seeing the Corps. ' Like the idea we might be able to catch this on their website in a few days or so too.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your thoughts after seeing the Corps. ' Like the idea we might be able to catch this on their website in a few days or so too.

Hopefully, the recording came out OK, and they will consider it high enough quality to post. I look forward each year to BD's studio recording (often recorded the day after Family Day) but I hadn't heard anything to date. I'm hoping this will be a little "extra" and a full studio recording will follow.

Disclaimer (as is only fair): My pleasure to share a few comments, however I caution people that despite being a loooooong time fan (saw my first show in 1957), I am also musically inept, have no marching experience, and any comments I make should are solely those of somewhat fanatical, but appreciative homer! 😃

Thanks for that. I sure hope it is just an effect of the recording, but that synth bottom end through much of it is horrendous.

Thanks for that. I sure hope it is just an effect of the recording, but that synth bottom end through much of it is horrendous.

Sounds like the recording gear was normalized or something. Everything sounded the same volume.

Oh also, check other videos from the same user...he has a bunch more stuff up :) And it is good :)

Edited by ApathyJones
  • Like 1