New DCI.org website

I'm on about the fastest consumer connection you can get, and the load time for the dci index page is never less than 10 seconds. I know it's a first-world problem, but c'mon - when I go to nfl.com or washingtonpost.com, both of which have much more content, the load time is a second or less.

The design makes me wonder if they spent any time with the fan base asking them how they use the site before they made the change. Why do we go to dci.org in the first place?

1. media content

2. scores

3. schedule

4. tickets

5. links to corps' sites

"About" DCI isn't on the same level of importance for the end user, and neither is "News" - that's what f___n Facebook is for. And yet both occupy equal and equivalent visual space to the five primary purposes in the menubar the site, as does the DCI store (because owning a t-shirt that says DCI is a thing?) .

Good cripes.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Haven't read the other comments but I'm sure I'm going to say what others have said...

I don't know how but ESPN and DCI has managed to make their sites more cumbersome to navigate than before. I'm not just talking about change being difficult to deal with but, at least with DCI, the previous format was so much better.

In particular with the schedule, all you had to do was click on an event and on the right frame you would get the event at a glance. It made it a lot easier to see who would face whom (correct grammar?) for the first time to get a feel of the "spread" since the subjective scores are more unreliable to gauge in separate shows.

• Like 1

You know, I absolutely hope and think you're right. But that would only solve the paying-customer problem now wouldn't it? It wouldn't necessarily solve the problem of the decision-makers who let it happen.

(...must...bite...tongue...)

First, let's not forget that the directors aren't necessarily in tune with how this is going. They are totally focused on their jobs, as they should be. Edit: I don't know anything; maybe they're all plugged right in and know exactly what's happening. I know a few corps directors who can't help but be involved, but to what level is unknown.

Until proven otherwise I'm going to utilize what my mother taught me and give the decision-makers the benefit of the doubt here. This breaks every Italian rule I ever learned from my father or The Godfather. But, for the love of God, there simply MUST be a rational explanation for what we have. What I'm pondering is that, possibly, what we have is exactly what they thought we'd have. In a cold analysis of numbers, maybe this is a success.

Edited by jonwoody

The new DCI website is simply a crappy decision by DCI.

Somebody actually approved the cheesy design and the fact that fans would be bombarded with ads.

I'm sure the pitch was " we can host your streaming and show you how you can monetize your site".

As with a lot of DCI decisions the old way was better.

When you hire a company like NeuLion that has previous employees say things like...

About working at NeuLion:

Pros
Easiest job you will ever have. You can fall asleep at your desk and have no one care or notice. Free soda, coffee, and water.
Cons
Everything else. Management is just about as bad as it gets. You are either totally ignored, or screamed at. There is zero chance for you to become a full time employee. They hire loads of inept, lazy people and pay them $10 an hour to do the majority of their front end work.
...you are in serious trouble as a client....lol
  • Like 1

More people periscoping and spurning the cost of DCI giving us less for more money! Now I know it's not right for copyrights to ask that but I'm certainly not going to mind watching live drum corps esp when DCI won't even let us see archived shows! LAME

and if you cant really watch periscope on a computer, it's not worth my time

The new DCI website is simply a crappy decision by DCI.

Somebody actually approved the cheesy design and the fact that fans would be bombarded with ads.

I'm sure the pitch was " we can host your streaming and show you how you can monetize your site".

As with a lot of DCI decisions the old way was better.

easy...ads produce revenue. with lost revenue on the fan network, they can make some back.

at last count I know 40 people that didn't bother to renew...at worst that's $4k lost

I sure hope they have the Apple OS streaming videos figured out. If not I'll be the next one to bail.

• Like 1