New DCI.org website

Still a huge mistake to remap the URL's, it seems completely pointless. The new website is absolutely horrible, the last website was very easy to use. Here's to hoping that they switch back.

While the URL mapping is annoying, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the new site.The interface is much more streamlined and simplified. Perhaps your issue is your difficulty in adapting to new things.

• Like 1

All:

Before you start teeing off "URL Mapping" let me explain to you how SEO actually works. Google & Bing will reindex the site. The more you visit it, the faster it will happen. Once that happens... the "old" links will start to naturally disappear and the new correct links will appear. DCI doesn't have much to say about this... and when switching platforms like this it would cost both a fortune both in TIME and $$$$ to hand map every URL to a new one on the site.

So... please everyone... don't get your collective #dcppanties in a bunch on this. The new site is cleaner... and a lot easier to navigate. It has a great new social bar that follows you on the right... and I even got a "DCI CHAT SUPPORT" window tonight when I started the stream... which looks crisp and clear over wifi tonight. Great Job #SQUADDCI. Nice to see corps on the field... nice to see things moving forward. Oh... and BTW it seems to be responsive design... rendering on my tablet and mobile very well.

edit: decided to redact comment

2nd edit: I decided to put my comments back. I just can't let all this incorrect information stand...Let me refer you to an article by MOZ and specifically look at PHASE 3...

https://moz.com/blog/web-site-migration-guide-tips-for-seos

...and apparently you really don't know what responsive design is either..sorry you just don't...

Edited by Liahona

The average person uses Google for everything, and if the link presented by google doesn't work, they're not going to go through any effort to figure out where the content is they were trying to get to. This is bad for DCI as it means people clicking on DCI content aren't getting to it. Less eyes on their pages is bad. The perception that DCI's website doesn't work is bad. Invalidating all the search engine weight that has developed on DCI.org's existing links is bad. (The 'new' links are probably showing up in Google search results, but not on the first page. If it's not on the first page, it might as well not exist)

Say someone has a particular article bookmarked. Well, now that bookmark is broken. Bad user experience all around.

On the web, friction is your worst enemy. You want your content to be as easy to get to as possible. The more speed bumps people hit trying to get to your content, the more people give up and do something else.

Also, there shouldn't be a transition period. You develop the new site, test it, then flip the switch and redirect traffic. If your new site doesn't have these kinds of details squared away, then you shouldn't be flipping the switch.

Spot On!

Site is NOT mobile friendly...DCI FAIL

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Well...I'm going to add one more thing to my "hate list"....lol...I seriously don't hate DCI....BUT...the new schedule SUCKS...too much clicking back and forth to each show...what used to take a few quick minutes to see the details of each show now is way too cumbersome for my taste...oh well...the new DCI era is upon us or was that decades ago?!? ...lol

• Like 2

Well...I 'm going to add one more thing to my "hate list"... lol. I seriously don't hate DCI, BUT the new schedule SUCKS: too much clicking back and forth to each show. What used to take a few quick minutes to see the details of each show now is way too cumbersome for my taste. Oh well. The new DCI era is upon us, or was that decades ago?!? ... lol

I agree that it was easier to use the old website's schedule, at least in some ways.

The advantage now is that all the season's shows can be seen in one list. Previously you could only see one week at a time. So if you're looking for the Sheffield, PA show, but you don't know what week it's happening, you don't have to check every week. You can just search the whole schedule for "Sheffield".

On the other hand, previously when you were in a given week, a click on any of its shows brought up the corps lineup for that show immediately, without taking you to a new page. You can no longer do that.

However, both versions included the option of searching the schedule by corps.

(But they've removed all-age corps from the drop-down list. Each of those corps appeared at just a few shows, and those corps do appear on the page for each show: e.g. Cincinnati Tradition is listed on the page for next week's Hamilton, OH show. So this move is not too frustrating, although I think it's a mistake. After all, there are some Open Class corps who appear at no more DCI shows than some all-age corps.)

I agree that it was easier to use the old website's schedule, at least in some ways.

The advantage now is that all the season's shows can be seen in one list. Previously you could only see one week at a time. So if you're looking for the Sheffield, PA show, but you don't know what week it's happening, you don't have to check every week. You can just search the whole schedule for "Sheffield".

On the other hand, previously when you were in a given week, a click on any of its shows brought up the corps lineup for that show immediately, without taking you to a new page. You can no longer do that.

However, both versions included the option of searching the schedule by corps.

(But they've removed all-age corps from the drop-down list. Each of those corps appeared at just a few shows, and those corps do appear on the page for each show: e.g. Cincinnati Tradition is listed on the page for next week's Hamilton, OH show. So this move is not too frustrating, although I think it's a mistake. After all, there are some Open Class corps who appear at no more DCI shows than some all-age corps.)

You make a few good points here I didn't think about....but I just don't like it...and it's not just for the sake of disliking change..I actually embrace it...I guess I felt the "old" way was better organized and user-friendly IMO...

• Like 1

I'm guessing they didn't make a mobile version so as not to inconvenience the folks who browse on their laptop...

Mike

(that's a joke, referencing their unwillingness to embrace digital downloads so as not to impact sales of physical media)

I'm guessing they didn't make a mobile version so as not to inconvenience the folks who browse on their laptop...

Mike

(that's a joke, referencing their unwillingness to embrace digital downloads so as not to impact sales of physical media)

Also, one must only appreciate the full majesty of their above-the-fold ads on a desktop.

• Like 1