Indy "opening" contest

Just returned from the theater and these are my simple thoughts.

Madison - Liked their show

Blue Stars - Really liked their show

Carolina Crown - OK, not as good ### the last 2 years. Had a major gaff with the red silk during the ballad.

Cavaliers - Meh.

Cadets - Liked this show the best but it doesn't have a signature moment that captures you. Percussion was stellar and yes, the synth was overbearing.

Bluecoats - To me disappointing. Loved Tilt 10 times more than this show. WAY to much electronics. Props are obtrusive like those of Crown last year.

Brass sounded amazing from the parts I heard (opener and closer). It's either them or Phantom as the dark horses this season.

Actually, I think it is the Troopers who are the dark ...er....wild horses. :tounge2:

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

This show is extremely effect-driven, with so many moments of "Was that a trumpet playing, or was it the speaker".

And that's a good thing?

• Like 3

This show is extremely effect-driven, with so many moments of "Was that a trumpet playing, or was it the speaker".

And that's a good thing?

When you realize what their theme is, yes. This show will probably be a GE monster, much like Tilt.

And that's a good thing?

It actually is. Because they were playing right before you notice they aren't there. It's an illusion of sound, something I have never experienced before in drum corps, and I liked it. Being there live makes it a completely different experience than if you saw it in the theater.

• Like 1

And that's a good thing?

Agreed. I found myself wanting to hear the brass line, not the brass and the electronics behind it. It's a cool effect but not for 11 minutes but first read in a theater is hardly a great sampling of any of these shows so I'll see them again. Edited by Tobias

Look up user Dale Sawyer on Periscope. He has the full show still on there.

I can't figure periscope out. I've found him, but I guess the stream wasn't archived because nothing plays.

I can't figure periscope out. I've found him, but I guess the stream wasn't archived because nothing plays.

Once you click on his name, go to his recents. It's still there.

Once you click on his name, go to his recents. It's still there.

I guess it just doesn't want to play for me. Bummer.