Indy "opening" contest

Those are some very low scores.....

I wonder if after last year's Finals, in which not only first place but also fifth place and twelfth place broke records, DCI didn't direct judges to reset a bit.

• Like 1

That's terrible for Crown that a fatal fabric failure had to happen. :(

Speaking of Crown, has anyone heard why they were delayed getting to the field?

Cadets: . . . it seemed that the synth output was overpowering the brass and percussion at various times.

Many, many people on these forums have expressed this concern about Cadets shows, both live and recorded, for the past several years. Are we all crazy? Are Cadets' staff incapable of hearing their synths? Or do they actually like it?

• Like 1

Many drum corps out there have tried various types of electronics, amplification, synths, singing, narration, etc. Usually it just comes across cheap, not effective, or as some side effect that's not necessarily needed in the show.

So "usually" must mean that most of the amplification and electronics used over the past six (for the latter) or eleven (for the former) years have been tawdry, but when those of us in the anti-electronics crowd, as it were, dared to say so, we were told repeatedly how wonderful it was and that we were trying to stop the glory of progress.

• Like 2

I think it's because they (The Cadets staff) are trying to use it for dramatic effect in a show where it would be better as an accompaniment to the music, and they don't have much of a backup plan if the electronics don't get that dramatic point across. If that's true, and they're relying on electronics for dramatic effect, then perhaps they need to rethink some things.

From what I hear about the Bluecoats, the entire show is electronics as the point of the drama. I can't wait to see the show, but if there is really that much usage of electronics as some here have said there are, it will be really interesting where the judges will eventually score them.

Someone was talking about "game-changing", this could be just that...or it could be a little bit of a flop.

I think I'd rather have less electronics though. The Cavaliers did some pretty darn awesome shows 2000-2003 without the use of synthesizers...but we're 12-15 years removed from that.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Czapinski killed Bloo last year, so not really surprising. Let's see what happens next week...

At their first meeting last year, The Cadets beat Bluecoats by 3 points.

At prelims last year, Bluecoats lost GE to The Cadets by .6, and by Finals were .4 ahead. That's a whole 1pt gain. And this show is similar in style.

The Bluecoats beat Cadets in Brass and overall Visual. One judge had Bluecoats 1st in GE. Czapinski's inflated GE score for Cadets is garbage.

But Cadets percussion score, wow. That may be telling.

These top 3 corps are closer than the scores show. Pretty much neck and neck.

Can't wait to see when SCV and BD come east. I'd like to see these 5 corps beat each other up all season. Last one standing wins.

Edited by superOOk

Speaking of Crown, has anyone heard why they were delayed getting to the field?

My question is why didn't they receive a penalty? ...and yes I know it's the first show...

• Like 1

My question is why didn't they receive a penalty? ...and yes I know it's the first show...

Penalties are inconsistently applied. Not intentionally so much as through oversight, I think. Boston used the baby powder for at least two performances with no penalty before getting socked a point at prelims. At the Akron cinema-cast show in 2013, Bloo shouted so loudly in the tunnel during Phantom's show that it was startling to hear live and perfectly audible in the recording, but they got no penalty. At the end of that season, in Semifinals, SCVC warmed up in the wrong place, which wasn't audible at all, and they got a penalty that put them behind BDB (whom they'd beaten at Open Class championships).

I think the "Ode to Joy" theme, when incorporated into Beethoven's symphony, is one of the most triumphal moments in classical music (when performed well). Taken out of context, and put into a different arrangement, it almost always falls short of the way Beethoven originally used it.

I dunno. For 25 years, this use has stuck with me:

That's terrible for crown that a fatal fabric failure had to happen. :(

Try saying THAT three times fast...

Bluecoats will be hard to beat, but not sure they will overtake the BDs at this point. I was blown away by they show. I'm sure a lot of people will hate I this show, but I think they have outpaced everyone in figuring out how to use electronics to it's best advantage. With some fine tuning it's going to be amazing

For whom?

The spread between Cadets and BCs is stupid. I don't see the General Effect scores in the Cadets show. BCs are going to be a monster in another month.

Quite a way of putting it.

You may have been there anyway. Saw a brief flash of the Cadets 2000 trumpet feature in the promos.

I assure you, I was sleeping lol