Innovations in Brass: Akron

I'll say right now, I think Bloo wins their first championship this year.

• Like 2

What I think is pretty great: to read a few of you, who are unabashed Cadets fans, immediately congratulating the Bluecoats. That's classy. Thank you!!!

• Like 6

I don't think performance order played a role at all. Not enough corps in the show

It's much more of a factor come finals week.

• Like 2

What I think is pretty great: to read a few of you, who are unabashed Cadets fans, immediately congratulating the Bluecoats. That's classy. Thank you!!!

Huge cadets fan here, but would love to see bluecoats take it this year!

• Like 3

Crown's brass honestly sounded amazing live.

I completely agree...blew me away. The power and clarity was wonderful. The only thing that bothered me about their show was the awkward musical transition into Ode to Joy, but I know that will get cleaned up later in the season.

A few of my observations after attending the show:

Troopers - very dirty visually. The marching technique of some of the members was very rough. Hopefully they can clean it up because the brass line sounded pretty good.

Cavaliers - the crowd was very quiet throughout their show. I don't know if it was because it was coming out of intermission, but the crowd wasn't into it for some reason. I liked the show a lot, personally.

Cadets - good musically, but a surprising number of holes on the visual side.

Costs - I'll be interested to see how the effects they are using sound indoors with a the reverberation inherent in performing indoors. Hopefully it doesn't muddle it up at all. Really liked the show and has a ton of promise.

On a final note, I hope the Cavies marcher that fell hard on his back on one of the boxes isn't too sore tomorrow. Looked quite painful to me.

Overall a very enjoyable evening. I brought my 4 year old to his first show and he seemed to have a great time. He barely even got restless, which is saying a lot for him. Should be a great season!

Edited by sabrefan62

In 2013 at finals I sat next to a Blue Devils fan who'd been to every finals since 1982. He always sits front row on the 50. Even though he is a massive BD fan he looked at me (as I'm wearing homemade purple pants) and said he wanted to see Crown win it. Although he was careful to add "just once." Greatest sportsmanship moment. Glad to see supportive cadets fans right now.

• Like 2