Cavalcade of Brass Lisle, IL

Is anybody opposed to the idea of puting pop corn kernels inside of pancake batter so that we can have self-flipping pancakes?

I know I'm not.

This just earned you ten lashes with a waffle iron cord.

Clearly something Phantom could do well.

Music from "The Dead Zone" would be right up their alley.

The Crossmen had some GREAT shows back in the day. The 1990 show featured music from the jazz vocal group New York Voices. Loved that show. I am forgetting what they did in 1991, but I remember them beating Cadets. They were a force that year, too. Forgetting the percussion instructor, but I remember their percussion back in the day was musically amazing and a visual treat. Then, of course, you have their legendary 1992 show which took 6th at Finals - beating SCV and Phantom.

That would be the great Mark Thurston. Nobody wrote a drum book that grooved like he did. He was a blast to play for too.

• Like 2

To tag onto my above comment, when Crossmen were sold to the Texas organization, which I realize was a tough move for alumni, I really believe it was the best thing for Crossmen. They seem to have been financially sound since. I keep waiting for the moment when all that great Texas HS and College band talent begins migrating to that corps. I am sure some of it already has. But if they ever get some of the top-tier college talent in droves, I believe we could see the emergence of a new top 5 powerhouse -- much like when Star of Indiana arose in Bloomington, IN.

It was weird at first but I think they are starting to get some real support from the alumni organization. In the past few years the Crossmen have made some moves and become much stronger than in the early Texas days. Whether that will translate into placement closer to what the corps did in the 90's is hard to say. I can say however this year does seem to me as the year they bump up to 9th or 10th. I could very well be wrong, but there is certainly something very different about the hype this year. I haven't yet seen the show live, but from video it seems they have a fairly solid corps. I'm hoping to see a surge at the end like the old days.

Edited by jbeatty89
  • Like 1

I find it funny how already we are arguing about who is better lol..Cadets did this..Bluecoats did this..Crown didn't do that..lol. It is early and time will decide who is right. I also find it funny and interesting that no one is raging about the electronics that Bluecoats are using. If it happened to be Hopkins and the Cadets using electronics this place would be raging about how Hopkins once again is ruining drum corps and how he should be hanged in the town square or burned at the stake along with his speakers lmao. Instead some complain about what he writes in his blog. Really?? That's all you have?? lol

I find it funny how already we are arguing about who is better lol..Cadets did this..Bluecoats did this..Crown didn't do that..lol. It is early and time will decide who is right. I also find it funny and interesting that no one is raging about the electronics that Bluecoats are using. If it happened to be Hopkins and the Cadets using electronics this place would be raging about how Hopkins once again is ruining drum corps and how he should be hanged in the town square or burned at the stake along with his speakers lmao. Instead some complain about what he writes in his blog. Really?? That's all you have?? lol

Because Cappybara.

• Like 1

1. Bluecoats use electronics better than anyone, and have since 2007.
  2. Cadets have tended to use electronics worse than many.
  3. Cadets receive extra scrutiny because of #2 and "George Hopkins"
  4. People seem to be more forgiving of electronics if the corps has "swagger" or a "coolness factor".
  5. People seem to be more forgiving of electronics if the corps tends to place outside of the Top 6.
  • Like 2

1. Bluecoats use electronics better than anyone, and have since 2007.
  2. Cadets have tended to use electronics worse than many.
  3. Cadets receive extra scrutiny because of #2 and "George Hopkins"
  4. People seem to be more forgiving of electronics if the corps has "swagger" or a "coolness factor".
  5. People seem to be more forgiving of electronics if the corps tends to place outside of the Top 6.

Actually, my answer was more definitive:

"Because Cappybara."

• Like 2

Boston finished 11th last year, didn't they?

Madison, Blue Stars, Crossmen, and Boston are fairly close to start the season... could swap a lot between now and August.

BAC placed 10th last year. I agree things could be interesting regarding these four. Things could also get heated if Troopers or Colts surge, and we still have to wait and see what Oregon Crusaders has to offer.