Hey Staff People... Don't be jerks

I just want to remind those staff members out there reading to be courteous when they are watching shows. I attended two shows over the weekend and both times I encountered staff not acting their best.

If you're going to sit with the paying customers please remove your backpack before wacking 6 people with it as you try to get some free seats. Some people bruise easily.

Please be quiet. I'm more than happy to hear your opinion after the performance. It may be the corps I marched with or my best friends kid you are criticizing.

Show some class, and clap for everyone. When you sit on your ### not clapping while everyone around you is giving a standing O, you look like a tool. When you're wearing your corps name all over your shirt, it makes me think less of your organization. Hopefully, this isn't what you're teaching your members.

Seriously, be quiet. Tickets to these shows are expensive, and I didn't pay to hear you. Next time I won't be so nice.

I wholeheartedly concur. When I pay $40 for a premium ticket, I want to see the show - not the staff being rude to me (the paying customer).

There should be some designated staff viewing area - pref on like the 5 yard line (let them experience the performance from a less-than ideal perspective, just like many fans do). Or, like BITD on the track or (gulp) the back stands (remember when DCI used to be able to sell tickets on the back stands? But that is a different thread...)

Otherwise, make them buy a ticket.

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly concur. When I pay $40 for a premium ticket, I want to see the show - not the staff being rude to me (the paying customer).

There should be some designated staff viewing area - pref on like the 5 yard line (let them experience the performance from a less-than ideal perspective, just like many fans do). Or, like BITD on the track or (gulp) the back stands (remember when DCI used to be able to sell tickets on the back stands? But that is a different thread...)

Otherwise, make them buy a ticket.

Well, that's pretty darned rude, and totally ridiculous.

Show sponsors are supposed to provide a viewing area for the staff near the press box (for their corps only). Not all shows do, which is why you see many staff having to stand or sit in the aisle at the top of the stairs or trying to find any open seat with a decent viewing angle. Most corps direct their staff members to behave in a professional manner, and the vast majority certainly do. Remember, the staff isn't there to enjoy the show...they are working.

I will say I'm totally opposed to staff members yelling anything (applause is fine), particularly while the corps is setting up. It's up to older experienced staff to prevent their younger staff from doing this.

• Like 2

I just want to remind those staff members out there reading to be courteous when they are watching shows. I attended two shows over the weekend and both times I encountered staff not acting their best.

If you're going to sit with the paying customers please remove your backpack before wacking 6 people with it as you try to get some free seats. Some people bruise easily.

Please be quiet. I'm more than happy to hear your opinion after the performance. It may be the corps I marched with or my best friends kid you are criticizing, or worse yet, it might be my kid.

Show some class, and clap for everyone. When you sit on your ### not clapping while everyone around you is giving a standing O, you look like a tool. When you're wearing your corps name all over your shirt, it makes me think less of your organization. Hopefully, this isn't what you're teaching your members.

Seriously, be quiet. Tickets to these shows are expensive, and I didn't pay to hear you. Next time I won't be so nice.

<s>But people on staff, especially guard and visual staff, are so cool. You should be lucky that you're in their presence.</s>

I agree as well. Some people go into "tour mode" or "rock star mode" and disappear up their own ###.

If you see some over-tanned twenty something with a staff pass behaving this way, call them out on it.

• Like 2

<s>But people on staff, especially guard and visual staff, are so cool. You should be lucky that you're in their presence.</s>

I agree as well. Some people go into "tour mode" or "rock star mode" and disappear up their own ###.

If you see some over-tanned twenty something with a staff pass behaving this way, call them out on it.

Absolutely. Better yet, if an older staff member is nearby, speak with them. Barring that, stop by the corps' souvie booth and pass a message on to the corps' management. believe me, in most cases it will get handled quickly.

• Like 3

Absolutely. Better yet, if an older staff member is nearby, speak with them. Barring that, stop by the corps' souvie booth and pass a message on to the corps' management. believe me, in most cases it will get handled quickly.

This is very true. Corps admin will come down real fast on any staff members who are giving off a bad image for their corps.

I had some very rude people behind me at Stanford who would not shut up but fortunate for them they kept quiet during shows or things would have gotten ugly. I know those seats were not theirs. two of them tried to sit in the seats I paid for but my friends stayed out watching lot. I told them to leave after two corps.

• Like 1

I agree that staff should be respectful of the paying fans they infiltrate to view their corps and of the MM's they are watching (or other corps MM's). If there are issues with them being rude or obnoxious and a bit overzealous in their enjoyment of their corps (and themselves for showing fans they are an instructor with the performing corps) don't be bashful about going to the souvie booth or on facebook and outing the offending staff members. So long as they are anonymous they will continue their bad behaviour.

IMO, if their staff colleagues are aware of their behaviour, especially the caption heads, they may be asked to not go up there anymore. IMO most tech's don't need to be there anyway as they can get their feedback down lower to the field. Caption heads, programmers or designers might be best suited to view from above. Maybe there should there be a cap on how many staff members can go up in the stands? Maybe 4 -5? That way Sponsors don't lose much if any seat money. Just my $.02.

This is so spot on. I know everyone gets caught in the moment, including the staff, but hey, it's just plain base to shout words meant to intimidate other corps or perform otherwise rude actions (or non-actions in the case of not clapping) on behalf of the organizations you represent.

A certain corps of a certain year comes to mind when I say this. I was deeply offended at the time.

Edited by luv4corps

Show sponsors are supposed to provide a viewing area for the staff near the press box (for their corps only). Not all shows do, which is why you see many staff having to stand or sit in the aisle at the top of the stairs

Wanted to underline the last few words as ran into problems with this at DCA Finals of all places. As the previous corps was leaving the next corps staff was squatting half way up the aisle as people were trying to leave or enter. BIG tripping hazard whole way around even if some stood up to let people out. As the husband with a lady who has walking problems keeping people from being able to access the handrail is dangerous to some, even if it isn't to you.