Cedarburg Scene 7/3

Well Blue Stars put in a ton of changes in their 3 days off, section after the juggler, ballad, and end of the show all have some visual and some musical changes. Lots of cleaning to do! But they're good changes none the less.

I watched an hour of intense rehearsal and a run through Saturday afternoon. There's so much more cleaning to do. The rehearsal was very focused and I got the impression the members know they have their work cut out for them. Man, that opener comes off as so subtle yet is masking some very intricate brass playing. This show has legs.

Went to the show, my first of the year. Previously, saw Madison in a rehearsal last Wednesday in Whitewater.

Scouts were much improved over what I saw in Whitewater. Articulation in the horn line was cleaner, and the visual was easier to read, All that said, I see them nip and tuck with Blue Stars all season.

The visual during the percussion feature in Blue Stars' show - is that supposed to represent ringing the bell at a carnival? Cute idea, but the downside is that the corps returns to the same visual form three times in a row. What does that do for their visual analysis numbers? Otherwise, a lot to like for me.

Was a bit surprised by Colts' score. Wonderful horn sound.

The numbers don't reflect it, but this is the best Pioneer corps in years. Certainly the largest. No more small horn line getting buried by percussion. Guys in the guard with the ladies - quite a cultural change for them.

Open Class has the most pleasant surprise and saddest disappointment. Most pleasant surprise - Genesis! A huge, young corps. Accessible music just a little over the kid's heads. Challenging, but not impossible. Good design decisions by their staff. Kids seemed to really enjoy performing their show. Bravo. Saddest disappointment? The Racine Scouts. Only four horns? Kudos to those guys for hanging in there, and my hope that they can pick up and retain some more horn players this summer. What happened to them over the season? Major staff changes? They were much bigger last season.

• Like 2

The numbers are interesting, but not surprising. How exciting for Colts. We will see how these shake out in Whitewater. Panel was certainly a mix of old and new names.

The Racine Scouts. Only four horns? Kudos to those guys for hanging in there, and my hope that they can pick up and retain some more horn players this summer.

' Can't do much with only 4 in the Brass section. You have to feel for a group like this. Everything the Brass plays in the show is a quartet from start to finish.

How do they travel to shows ? By SUV ? I can't imagine incurring the costs of buses for such a tiny sized competitive group.

Edited by BRASSO

are we allowed to post show videos'? i really dont know what the rules are anymore with youtube but the corps hasnt had problems with the shows being up. Blue stars from cedarburg is up. if we are allowed to post someone insert if you want to watch.

I think corps haven't caught up with copyright take downs as of yet. Expect most of those to be taken down by the end of the season.