DCI video products unavailable

Small enough so that they can't easily fend off threatened lawsuits over copyright from a representative of one of the major music organizations, that's true.

:cool:

And small enough that they can't find someone to tell its fans base that DVD's Blurays are no longer available for purchase. How did we find out ? Most of us here found out via a poster on this DCP thread. Is DCP now the go to place to find out what DCI is doing regarding previous DCI available purchase items ? Well, apparently... yes, it is. There can be no other reasonable conclusion can one draw from this, it would seem to me.

if DVDs arent being sold it just leads me to believe that we will have the DCI zone much like WGI zone. It was WGIs way of getting around all the copyrighted music.

Unfortunately, some of the videos released via WGI Zone have been re-released with muted audio due to copyright claims. As much as I'd love to see something like what you described happen, I'm afraid similar copyright issues could happen to DCI through this format.

Unfortunately, some of the videos released via WGI Zone have been re-released with muted audio due to copyright claims. As much as I'd love to see something like what you described happen, I'm afraid similar copyright issues could happen to DCI through this format.

It's easy to get the rights. Tresona is a cheap company to go through so all these big groups should be able to get it.

Looking back through DCI's news archive, I found this...

Will audio performances (APDs) and video performances (VPDs) be available for download?
It is expected that APDs and VPDs of 2015 performances will be available for download shortly after the 2015 DCI World Championships.

When the Fan Network is reintroduced, will the complete archives be available or will certain shows be missing?
At this time, Drum Corps International is not in a position to guarantee a complete archive will be available when the DCI Fan Network is re-launched. Although the publishers (copyright holders) of the music performed by the corps have been gracious for many years in granting permission, usually for a fee, to capture and provide video recordings of their performances, the process can be a bit complicated with certain titles. In fact, at times even the publishers can be challenged to secure the type of permission necessary to offer an interactive stream of specific works.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210147154

Was discussing this with the Mrs. She saud most people don't realize how expensive synch rights are. In many instances they're about the same cost as using the original master recording.

Combine that with the fact that modern drum corps shows chop up so many works, and things get pretty pricy in short order, so much so that DCI likely never could recoup the costs.

All speculation at this point, of course.

There is nothing cheap or easy about dealing with certain rights holders.

I know a bunch of wgi groups that go through tresona to get all the rights. Each song you use ranges from $100-$400 depending really on its popularity (current or not). To me that is pretty cheap to get all the rights.

I know a bunch of wgi groups that go through tresona to get all the rights. Each song you use ranges from $100-$400 depending really on its popularity (current or not). To me that is pretty cheap to get all the rights.

Those are performing rights not sync rights...two totally different things