Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

When we settle for the kids effort in making something poor into something acceptable as success, the quality and placement will continue to wallow in the depths of DCI lower rank.

Actually no. Historically, we find such overemphasis on placement sentiments does not end with " lower placements ". It typically leads to a downward spiral that eventually blows right past those depths and typically leads to extinction for these Corps. While this is not always the case, the general rule of thumb is that these attitudes, if sufficiently pervasive, become so publically toxic that improvement becomes impossible, and then the unavoidable downward spiral to ultimate oblivion commences in earnest.

Best of luck to the Phantom Regiment. I sincerely hope they are able to buck this trend, now that it appears that even many of their former alums are turning on them in such a very regrettable, sad, and unfortunate public way.

Edited by BRASSO

Many? Please....

• Like 1

I suppose being a whisker away from 11-12 doesn't factor into what you're looking at. Right now they can't overcome BK by a 3 pt margin.

As of tonight 1.5 behind the cavaliers.

They're actually 0.9 behind Cavies, if you know how to subtract.

A corps BOD hires a staff and trusts the staff to put out a program, which is usually already in the works before the end of the current season. You really can't just decide "Well, we don't like this show, write another one." when it takes months of work from a handful of people to put together a drum corps show. If you miss the mark, you miss the mark, and all you can do is try and tweak it, and clean it as best you can. It happens to every corps.

Phantom won in 2008, fell to 9th the next year, then went to 6th, 5th, then 3rd in 2012. 6th and 7th the past two years.

They haven't finished less than 8th since 1986 but once, 2009 being the exception.

I don't think there's anything to worry about, honestly. People said the same crap about Juliet, and then they came back the next year and got 3rd.

They will be fine. Staff changes can be traumatic events for a corps, when they lose a good one, but more often than not, they rebound.

The talent pool for kids willing to give up their summer doing this is not very large. The talent pool for those who can create fantastic programs is even tighter. Much tighter.

You just kinda have to make do with what you currently have available, and if you have a design team that misses the mark a little bit, you don't just go out and fire them all after one season. You might have a discussion about the needs and the direction of the organization, talk about some of the mistakes made, what can be done to make the next program a stronger one, etc. There are also a ton of things that go into a season than just the design package.

The PR board of directors isn't going to let the corps fall out of Finals if they can help it. They haven't since, well, 1973.

I also think the title of this topic is a little rude. It's not a phailure to phall phrom top 6. Making phinals is an achievement that many corps dream of.

Having said all that,

I like seeing new music arrangers, composers, and visual designers make their way through DCI. I think the wise thing for any corps who wishes to become more competitive is to give some of these people a chance to show what kind of creativity they can bring to the field. Especially corps in the bottom tier. If they continually miss the mark, maybe move on, but it's a necessary thing to bring in new talent wherever you see it.

And I'll say this. If the Blue Devils want to remain competitive, they'd better do the same, if they haven't already begun. It's an ever-changing activity.

Hire the new guys, let them help design the program in small ways, let them develop some good skills, see how far they go.

Albert Pujols was signed 401st overall in the 1999 draft. Now he's on the road to Cooperstown.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

What bothers me more than Phantom's placement at the present time is the continuation of negative remarks towards the corps. I understand criticism, but this should be done in a constructive manner. The sad part is that I am guessing much of the spiteful comments are coming from alumni. Is there not a way for you to get involved with the corps in some manner?

• Like 1

Actually no. Historically, we find such overemphasis on placement sentiments does not end with " lower placements ". It typically leads to a downward spiral that eventually blows right past those depths and typically leads to extinction for these Corps. While this is not always the case, the general rule of thumb is that these attitudes, if sufficiently pervasive, become so publically toxic that improvement becomes impossible, and then the unavoidable downward spiral to ultimate oblivion commences in earnest.

Best of luck to the Phantom Regiment. I sincerely hope they are able to buck this trend, now that it appears that even many of their former alums are turning on them in such a very regrettable, sad, and unfortunate public way.

Not sure who you are hanging out with, but all of the alums that I am in contact with are totally supportive of the corps in every way! Check out the donations on the challenge. Do you think that's all from fans? Not a chance. Alums continue to 'fuel' their meals, take them care packages, give them jobs, etc. Regiment alumni (for the most part) are just like the corps - classy. I love this year's show. It's entertaining, cheerful and beautiful. Their main goal is to entertain.I guarantee you they are still getting the most standing ovations at most of the shows. Drum Corps Planet is truly a planet of its' own. You don't know who the contributors truly are - young wanna-bees, alums or just fans. I bet 90% have no idea what they are talking about. I always take it with a HUGE grain of salt and mostly come on here for the entertainment. This thread really needs to just end. Phorever.

• Like 1

Gotta stay classy and take the high road. I am involved in all of those you mentioned. Maybe I'm just a positive person and choose to hang with positive people. My alum friends are supportive of the corps and that's no lie. It's too bad you don't choose to see the good things. If you have a beef with the management, it's always better to voice that in person instead of grumbling on public forums.

Edited by fatbrassboy