Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

It doesnt matter, that's what those who do not have contact on a regular basis with members dont get. you cant tell a kid who works 12 hours a day, travel, sleep on floors , eat sitting on a curb, etc etc. Oh we think you're great but your product sucks. A great reason for members not to listen or read all the expert opinions.

I dont want to also hear well they have to get used to being criticized. They do, and way more than most here might be able to take, all you have to do is look at some other threads . even if you make a general comment the honks go nuts.. . They take being criticized for 3 months straight, take alot and learn to. .IMO

I do get what you are saying and agree to a point, I suppose' but being critiqued is one thing vicious is another, also who doing the critiquing matters or doesnt .

So much this. There really is no "it's not you, it's the product" when you're calling said product a steaming pile of ####. The members don't have time to sit back and say, "well, I guess he/she isn't really talking about me" because they're too busy busting their humps all day every day perfecting that show that is only worth your time insofar as you take time to deride it. Really over the armchair directors here who think it's their job to give members a wake up call by telling them their show isn't worth ####. Let the membership decide that for themselves while watching blurays after the season is over. For now, they deserve to enjoy their summer, and to enjoy being part of an amazing tradition and Phamily.

/endrant

• Like 5

It takes two clicks and 5 seconds to access this site. Of course they read them.

I don't think so. Why would they be interested in the opinions of wannabees, bandos and know-it-alls? Seriously. They look elsewhere for confirmation of a job well done.

• Like 1

Yes you can. And I've been on the receiving end of this for at least one Regiment year. (think latin music)

We KNEW and were told all over the interwebs we were great but our product stank.

Marching members aren't idiots. They can read with perspectiv

Noone said marching members were idiots( as a matter of fact smarter than most because they live it ) but they also know outside ranting and honking. A critique must come from the right place not the mob holding signs , which seems to happen with the arm chair set on most social media. Can some make sense/ sure does it help, i dont think so , does it help a corps through the process, nope!

As far as your example, yes it can also work in reverse so what's the answer? listen to the judges, listen to staff who hopefully are smart and know their stuff and are not so arrogant that they do not listen ( one can see through the year which corps are like that )

Internet rants also imo do not teach YES you are also right you can tell a kid their product isnt working BUT as I said it needs to come from the right place

Edited by GUARDLING

So much this. There really is no "it's not you, it's the product" when you're calling said product a steaming pile of ####. The members don't have time to sit back and say, "well, I guess he/she isn't really talking about me" because they're too busy busting their humps all day every day perfecting that show that is only worth your time insofar as you take time to deride it. Really over the armchair directors here who think it's their job to give members a wake up call by telling them their show isn't worth ####. Let the membership decide that for themselves while watching blurays after the season is over. For now, they deserve to enjoy their summer, and to enjoy being part of an amazing tradition and Phamily.

/endrant

Yes and as I said above in the other post, the critique must come from the right person or people, the teachers, not the ranters. what i mean by teachers are those who can actually fix or make something better. Sure there are factors that go into that and it's never 100%. What i always find interesting is all the answers to all the issues from design to colors to music choice to running a corps etc etc are always on the internet. Sometimes ( only because i know many people like this outside of internet communications ) I want to ask some

( let's take PR because were here as an example ) I like to ask , hmmm being you have the answers what corps and when did you teach? were they top 12? how did you take a corps from bottom to top then retain a spot? what was your greatest design? etc etc , you get the point...lol, I actually did that once to someone who was a real jerk with all the answers to world affairs and it shut them down quite fast and i was like Yeah , I thought so...lol

Now that is not saying there aren't those out there with that experience and something to offer BUT offering on line doesnt do a thing, e mail your corps. discussion is one thing and i guess for some fun in some way but evil shows it's face often and has nothing to do with exchange of information or trying to help and i dont care who it's directed to.

I heard someone on TV say this recently in an interview which made me laugh it was ": the internet gave way to many people an opportunity to talk " i thought it was funny.

Unfortunately , there are some great people on line willing to share information with others on line, some who can contribute, some actually in or were in the trenches but many dont want to hear from them because there's nothing better than a good rant and an agenda and will spin even the pledge of allegiance to fit their agenda, see how often that happens . Ugly always shows it's face and unfortunately is heard the loudest sometimes..

If many believe their message is getting to kids or staff then I ask them, The way you present your point or rant or ugly in many case, Would you teach like this? because if that's the case thank God youre behind a computer and not in front of any members. JMO

PS: those ready to jump on that last line NO, i am not saying kids need to be pampered..lol..I know for me it's quite the opposite.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Yes and as I said above in the other post, the critique must come from the right person or people, the teachers, not the ranters. what i mean by teachers are those who can actually fix or make something better. Sure there are factors that go into that and it's never 100%. What i always find interesting is all the answers to all the issues from design to colors to music choice to running a corps etc etc are always on the internet. Sometimes ( only because i know many people like this outside of internet communications ) I want to ask some

( let's take PR because were here as an example ) I like to ask , hmmm being you have the answers what corps and when did you teach? were they top 12? how did you take a corps from bottom to top then retain a spot? what was your greatest design? etc etc , you get the point...lol, I actually did that once to someone who was a real jerk with all the answers to world affairs and it shut them down quite fast and i was like Yeah , I thought so...lol

Now that is not saying there aren't those out there with that experience and something to offer BUT offering on line doesnt do a thing, e mail your corps. discussion is one thing and i guess for some fun in some way but evil shows it's face often and has nothing to do with exchange of information or trying to help and i dont care who it's directed to.

I heard someone on TV say this recently in an interview which made me laugh it was ": the internet gave way to many people an opportunity to talk " i thought it was funny.

Unfortunately , there are some great people on line willing to share information with others on line, some who can contribute, some actually in or were in the trenches but many dont want to hear from them because there's nothing better than a good rant and an agenda and will spin even the pledge of allegiance to fit their agenda, see how often that happens . Ugly always shows it's face and unfortunately is heard the loudest sometimes..

If many believe their message is getting to kids or staff then I ask them, The way you present your point or rant or ugly in many case, Would you teach like this? because if that's the case thank God youre behind a computer and not in front of any members. JMO

PS: those ready to jump on that last line NO, i am not saying kids need to be pampered..lol..I know for me it's quite the opposite.

^ This......a million times over. Thank you.

• Like 1

Really over the armchair directors here who think it's their job to give members a wake up call by telling them their show isn't worth ####.

I really don't see where anyone in this thread is doing this. Has anyone actually addressed the membership in providing an opinion? No, this is a message board, and opinions are expressed.

I pointed this out in the Cadets thread earlier in the season... A few members of the Cadet borg were dogging on someone who gave a negative opinion of the Cadets show. The borg said "we think the show is great." The other poster said "I think this show is not great." Both were opinions. Both were based on the same information. Yet one opinion was okay, the other wasn't.

If someone shares positive words, they are an asset to humanity and a great contributor to DCP.

If someone shares negative words, they are some loser, armchair director, living in their parents' basement and sit around on the internet mocking people all day. And their negative opinions are directly pointed at members, in hopes that members read it.

It's fascinating.

I suggest you go back and read some of the posts; some of the vitriol pointed at the leadership (organization) of the Phantom Regiment is rather telling. Other posts saying basically, "why bother" going to DCI or improving your show with changes. The show, in the first place, is NOT the disaster some would lead you to believe. Simply, I would suggest if ANY PR members that are reading this is, do NOT let any of this get to you. You are performing at an incredible level and you still have time to show everyone how good you truly are and how much better you can get!!!

• Like 4

Yes you can. And I've been on the receiving end of this for at least one Regiment year. (think latin music)

We KNEW and were told all over the interwebs we were great but our product stank.

Consider me among those who liked the "latin music" year. Brass book was a beast.

However, I'm glad they made drill and guard design changes after the season. How can you do a tango show and not have the guard in red?

• Like 1

I really don't see where anyone in this thread is doing this. Has anyone actually addressed the membership in providing an opinion? No, this is a message board, and opinions are expressed.

I pointed this out in the Cadets thread earlier in the season... A few members of the Cadet borg were dogging on someone who gave a negative opinion of the Cadets show. The borg said "we think the show is great." The other poster said "I think this show is not great." Both were opinions. Both were based on the same information. Yet one opinion was okay, the other wasn't.

If someone shares positive words, they are an asset to humanity and a great contributor to DCP.

If someone shares negative words, they are some loser, armchair director, living in their parents' basement and sit around on the internet mocking people all day. And their negative opinions are directly pointed at members, in hopes that members read it.

It's fascinating.

Then you haven't been paying attention. There are plenty of legitimate grievances, yes. However, there are also folks calling it horrendous, the worst thing they've ever seen, and so on and so forth. It is the latter, specifically, that I take issue with. Please don't confuse me with one of the couple of overly offended folks who can't take a single negative word.
  • Like 1