Singing All At Once and Trends in Drum Corps

long timers here remember when somebody thought it was a cool, new idea to move the stationary percussion timpanies and strap them to a percussionist so he could lug it around the football field, while simultaneously playing the dam thing. It was hernia inducing for the timpanist.

I was under the impression that timpani, when first attempted to be used in a show way back when, HAD to be marched, since nothing could be grounded (i.e. the "no pit" era) - as opposed to a design choice to now March timpani. No?

I was under the impression that timpani, when first attempted to be used in a show way back when, HAD to be marched, since nothing could be grounded (i.e. the "no pit" era) - as opposed to a design choice to now March timpani. No?

I'm pretty sure you are correct.

Yes, this is correct.. my comments that " some guy " decided, really was a rather poor choice of wording by me, in retrospect. It was indeed DCI rules at that time that required this, rather than a show design choice. As such, ALL DCI Corps utilizing a timpani back then ( as most did ) were required to lug the thing around the field at that time.

Like most things, whenever DCI permits change in one area( allowing Corps percussion sections to add the percussion timpani ) it sometimes creates unintended, unforseen consequences, or problems in other areas. Eventually, these things sometimes get worked out... other times they don't however.

Edited by BRASSO

In 2000 BAC had vocals in "Red"and I believe in 2002 with "You are my Star" but it was performed by the entire corps and not by individuals.

We do seem to have more vocals this year and they are part of the actual show as opposed to Crown's per show of last year. I do think BAC's works best, and Troopers are a close second. I'm not sold on Crossmen yet, not so much by the vocalist who is good, but the lyrics seem unnecessary. I think we'll have vocals for a while, but they'll fade away. I see it more as a fad than a trend.

and 99 too

Yes, this is correct.. my comments that " some guy " decided, really was a rather poor choice of wording by me, in retrospect. It was indeed DCI rules at that time that required this, rather than a show design choice. As such, ALL DCI Corps utilizing a timpani back then ( as most did ) were required to lug the thing around the field at that time.

Like most things, whenever DCI permits change in one area( allowing Corps percussion sections to add the percussion timpani ) it sometimes creates unintended, unforseen consequences, or problems in other areas. Eventually, these things sometimes get worked out... other times they don't however.

Timpani were added before DCI started. BAC used them in 1968. By 70/71 pretty just about all of the top level corps had them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Crusaders_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

This image is Garfield 970..that is me on cymbals stadning next to...the timpani player "down front".

normal_1971_cadets.jpg

For those who only saw BAC in 2000 and 2001 on DVD, their whole-corps singing sections brought the house down wherever they performed.

Mike

Perhaps because it was done very well.

Timpani were added before DCI started. BAC used them in 1968. By 70/71 pretty just about all of the top level corps had them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Crusaders_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

This image is Garfield 970..that is me on cymbals stadning next to...the timpani player "down front".

normal_1971_cadets.jpg

Yes, MikeD.. I am aware that the timpani was in utilization prior to the formation of DCI. I never said above that the timpani came in after DCI was formed either. I merely stated that when the timpani was utilized in DCI that the rules at that time required the timpani not to be grounded, but to be carried. All Drum Corps Circuit Associations in both the US and Canada ( there were over 2 dozen of them ) prior to the formation of DCI, all required the timpani not to be grounded. They needed to be carried. Furthermore, to broaden this even further, the senior Drum Corps circuits prior to DCI 's formation, likewise required the timpani's to be carried.. not grounded. When DCI was founded, it made many changes from what was taking place at the time, and what its rules and policies would be in THEIR new circuit. DCI did change a lot of things, right off the bat, but it did not immediately change the requirement that if a timpani was utilized, it needed to be carried. ( Some Corps, below the upper tier, went into competition without the expensive timpani's ) DCI kept that requirement on timpani's... and for several seasons afterwards too. My comments on the timpani were purposely confined to the DCI era, as it is the Drum Corps Circuit we are talking about here on this site at the moment.

Edited by BRASSO

I guess I'm ok with some singing in segments of a Corps shows, if its not lengthy, overdone.... like some of the long winded narrations that we've heard some Corps do from the start to the finish in their shows sometimes. While singing is ok, I draw the line at yodeling. I would not like to hear yodelers in DCI Corps shows. Especially in the Mountain States of the US. It could potentially cause an echo down the canyon, and who wants that. Plus, if we let in the yodelers, you just KNOW, what type of long horns DCI will be letting in later.. and no I'm not talking about them Texas Longhorns... I'm talking about the long horns the guys in the short pants, suspenders, knee socks, little hats with the sideways plumes, play on. Marching with those long horns around the field would be harder than marching the timpani's around the field too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1