We Are Fixin To Go To Belton

Blending both GE captions is a terrible idea. This recap is proof that this system is broken & needs to be fixed. Let drum guys judge drums, horn guys horns, & visual guys visual.

well....think about it for a second.

much of effect can be driven by audio to visual coordination. many music moments are tied to big visual moments, and they work together as one to create the effect. Sure some effects are just musical, and some are just visual, but far more often than not, they're tied together

• Like 1

The should be . Finally . You cant tell me corps A does everything better than corps B .

Its just not possible ,Some have better design ,Some are cleaner , SOme are more exciting .

CALL THE SHOW... NOT THE UNIFORM.

Good JOB !

agree. except 2 corps getting the exact same number in both boxes in the same caption

I know it's been beat to death... but on the recap sheet I'm looking at, GE1 is Vis and GE2 was Music.

Blue Stars and Academy get the exact same numbers in drums. both sub boxes. wow

Blue Stars and Troopers, actually. Also . . .

Jeff Ream's not going to be happy that the percussion judge not only tied Blue Stars and Troopers, but tied them in both subcaptions.

. . . called that one. :tounge2:

So.. basically what you are saying essentially is that any of us here that plays any musical instrument at all, ie.. Drum, Harp, Rock Guitar, Piano, Violin, Banjo, Harmonica etc can effectively judge a DCI GE show ?..., because we can judge the " General Effect " of ( for example ) the Guards, Battery, Percussion lines in contrast to all the others presented to us for evaluation ? With all due respect to ( for example ) a person that is an expert in Guard equipment, show design, etc, I really don't think he is as qualified as a Percussionist to judge Visual AND Music. A Guard person, with a Guard background only, plays no musical instrument at all as far as we know. How then is a Guard person, with a Guard background, any more capable of judging a GE caption that has a musical component in it than say a Hockey Player is ? The hockey player has an instrument made of wood too that he tosses around too. Does this background enable him to know the nuances, demand, complexity, etc of a Brass lines General Effect compared to others in competition ? Of course not ( haha!)

just because you can play an instrument means nothing. it means you have design and teaching experience, studied the sheets and trained.

I'm apercussionist, but I judge music effect, and many staff members welcome my commentary because i'm not afraid to discuss all voices...too many music judges with no percussion background even mention percussion. I will, as they can be what makes musical effect take the next step up, or in some cases hold it back.

last year i actually took a brass and wind section to town for making it look like the drumline was overplaying when in reality, the winds were half assing it. most music judges would automatically blame the drums

• Like 1

I know it's been beat to death... but on the recap sheet I'm looking at, GE1 is Vis and GE2 was Music.

What sheet would that be? Not the one on DCI's website for this show.

Blue Stars and Troopers, actually. Also . . .

oops yeah Blue Stars and Troop. thanks for catching that

Brad Bell, Dan Potter, and Brandt Crocker are great announcers that do several shows a year. Brad does WGI announcing as well.

Kudos for mentioning Brad Bell. The first time I heard him announce, at one of Legends shows a few years ago, I made a point to find him afterwards and compliment his work. There is at least one more announcer who should be mentioned in this group: Fran Haring, who announces some DCA shows, usually including Finals. And he posts regularly to DCP.

In Ohio, the announcer for OMEA state marching band finals is quite good. Although he sounded pretty hoarse at the end of those five days.

PR show just seems like a greatest hits show; problem is they were better IMO when they first were performed . . .

Well, their opener (after "I Love Paris") is Constant Lambert's Horoscope, which no one has performed before. Admittedly, I wish Phantom played more of it.