We Are Fixin To Go To Belton

Really really.

Isn't it past your bedtime?

I disagree that this means they should be judging more similarly to each other. They even mentioned with the change that there will still choose a Visual judge and a Music judge to judge the caption together. Even Cesario said they would bring their backgrounds and experience to inform their observations and weighting of that background. So they are still expecting them to judge the group totally different from each other but allowing them the opportunity to now comment on the other caption and critique that other caption even though they don't have their background in that caption.

...but is this really a good idea? It's kinda like me saying...just because I'm a pilot ...I know all about piloting a rocket ship to the moon....I digress...lol

• Like 1

...but is this really a good idea? It's kinda like me saying...just because I'm a pilot ...I know all about piloting a rocket ship to the moon....I digress...lol

I think it is because it's talking about effect not the detailed performance aspect of it that the other judges are judging. I'm a percussionist but I know enough about the brass and guard to know when they create effect and will comment on it. I would never judge those captions individually but that doesn't mean I don't know what creates effect in those captions.

My first time seeing any Open Class performance this year. Good show, although very dirty. Lots of work for Genesis in the next 19 days, but I like this more than any of their previous three shows, and the product seems strong enough that, fully polished, it could do better than their two previous third-place finishes. Although maybe their coda needs a little something more. And they seem to be about ten seconds short of ten minutes, so when they get to World Class prelims, they'll want to slow down ever so slightly.

By scoring 64.950, Genesis moves to second place in Open Class, being 0.200 ahead of Blue Devils B.

If you could compare shows across scores. Which you can't. (Unless you're DCI setting the order for San Antonio--or setting the order for Open Class prelims, which, if last year's method prevails, will be based on the highest score earned in the week before O.C. prelims . . . at different shows.)

And remembering that BDB's most-recent score came four days ago in Bellflower. And that Genesis was the only O.C. corps at Belton.

Still, I think Genesis is likely to be nipping firmly at BDB's heels. And since Legends and Genesis have traded victories a few times, the K'zoo corps may be right there with the Texans. And Music City's been just about a point behind. And none of them have gone head to head with 7th Regiment or Spartans yet.

How can you effectively judge a Drum & Bugle Corps Competition with no Drum Judge ? or no Brass Judge ? Or no Guard Judge ? when you think about it, it is kind of funny ( or strange ) no ? I mean, seriously.

Well, thats the system employed for half the competition season now. So when we finally get to full panels beyond the mid season point ( for instance NOW ), the judging captions automatically change with the expanded panels, and so naturally we get some REAL funky looking scores in the newly expanded subcaptions.

How can you effectively judge a Drum & Bugle Corps Competition with no Drum Judge ? or no Brass Judge ? Or no Guard Judge ? when you think about it, it is kind of funny ( or strange ) no ? I mean, seriously.

Well, thats the system employed for half the competition season now. So when we finally get to full panels beyond the mid season point ( for instance NOW ), the judging captions automatically change with the expanded panels, and so naturally we get some REAL funky looking scores in the newly expanded subcaptions.

Marchings major leagues not having full judging panels at every show is low rent & bush league.

I think it is because it's talking about effect not the detailed performance aspect of it that the other judges are judging. I'm a percussionist but I know enough about the brass and guard to know when they create effect and will comment on it. I would never judge those captions individually but that doesn't mean I don't know what creates effect in those captions.

So.. basically what you are saying essentially is that any of us here that plays any musical instrument at all, ie.. Drum, Harp, Rock Guitar, Piano, Violin, Banjo, Harmonica etc can effectively judge a DCI GE show ?..., because we can judge the " General Effect " of ( for example ) the Guards, Battery, Percussion lines in contrast to all the others presented to us for evaluation ? With all due respect to ( for example ) a person that is an expert in Guard equipment, show design, etc, I really don't think he is as qualified as a Percussionist to judge Visual AND Music. A Guard person, with a Guard background only, plays no musical instrument at all as far as we know. How then is a Guard person, with a Guard background, any more capable of judging a GE caption that has a musical component in it than say a Hockey Player is ? The hockey player has an instrument made of wood too that he tosses around too. Does this background enable him to know the nuances, demand, complexity, etc of a Brass lines General Effect compared to others in competition ? Of course not ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Blue Stars and Academy get the exact same numbers in drums. both sub boxes. wow

So.. basically what you are saying essentially is that any of us here that plays any musical instrument at all, ie.. Drum, Harp, Rock Guitar, Piano, Violin, banjo, etc can effectively judge a DCI GE show, becuse we can judge the " effect " of the Guards, Battery, Percussion lines ?

There's more to GE than just the Guard, Percussion and Brass performances...

I never said I personally could judge DCI. Knowing when something is effect and knowing how to create effect is totally different than judging effect. Couple examples, Crown's opening banner is effect. Totally obvious and everyone and their mother knows that. Cadets opening hit with the "TEN" being said in the silence and the corps entering full volume is effect. Those are obvious examples but how do you score those? How do you critique those moments and provide meaningful feedback to the staff to enhance it even more? Hell if I know! I just know that's effect!

Using the old sheets, the Music GE judge wouldn't be able to "judge" the Crown banner as it isn't a musical element of the show. With the new sheets, the GE judge with the Music background (aka the Music GE judge) can now judge it. Effects like that deserve to be recognized in all captions of GE.

Edited by wilme861