Cavies/Scouts-Time for a change?

Or............. are they getting the bigger pool of male talent because of who they are. i know cavies for sure had for quite some time. Is PR excluding males in the guard hurting them? Doesn't seem it.

People go to corps for what the corps is and what they want to be a part of I think.

Edited by GUARDLING

Isn't their old director now the director of SCV?

Yes, Jeff was with the Cavies until the late 2000's I believe.

Edited by AROD24601

Or............. are they getting the bigger pool of male talent because of who they are. i know cavies for sure had for quite some time. Is PR excluding males in the guard hurting them? Doesn't seem it.

People go to corps for what the corps is and what they want to be a part of I think.

The one thing I did find amusing with Madison's show this year is when they were dancing with those female "cutouts". Not saying this in a bad way, but it left me wondering if they had ever considered letting in females for this year's guard. Did they have a female guard member in 2005?

To answer the OP question ... Could the Cavies be missing out on_______?

I think the biggest thing the Cavies are missing out on is Michael Gaines.

Bringing ladies into the equation would change the identity and history of the corps. Member talent is not the problem. Design team changes need to be made. Brass seem to be headed in right direction, percussion always strong. Visually changes need to happen in both show design and guard.

As a designer they should see that.,,.the show NEEDS a pre show, like mad world did. It can set the stage maybe help explain concept of the show. The run boy run section would work much better if one individual was picked out and referenced by the singer. Then the boy can run run run when he tells him to run :) Maybe use one individual throughout the show to tie everything together. I think little changes/additions could drastically narrow the focus of the show and help the audience to understand better. (Hopefully I'm safe in assuming a new ending too)

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

I think the Cavies and Madison should be allowed to retain their "Brand", which includes the all-male tradition as long as they wish.

(I'm still bracing for the day that some wingnut suggests that Boston shouldn't use the "Crusaders" part of their name so as not to offend a particular group.)

As Gene Montrastelli would say, "That would be Balderdash!"

• Like 2

The one thing I did find amusing with Madison's show this year is when they were dancing with those female "cutouts". Not saying this in a bad way, but it left me wondering if they had ever considered letting in females for this year's guard. Did they have a female guard member in 2005?

I think they did. I recall 1 year in the past 10 where they allowed a female guard member.

::2 mins later::

Ok, quick wikipedia search says it was in their Carmen show.:)

I think they did. I recall 1 year in the past 10 where they allowed a female guard member.

::2 mins later::

Ok, quick wikipedia search says it was in their Carmen show.:)

But to them she was just a prop.

To answer the OP question ... Could the Cavies be missing out on_______?

I think the biggest thing the Cavies are missing out on is Michael Gaines.

Bringing ladies into the equation would change the identity and history of the corps. Member talent is not the problem. Design team changes need to be made. Brass seem to be headed in right direction, percussion always strong. Visually changes need to happen in both show design and guard.

That's a great point being echoed. Their content is certainly not on par with their potential in my opinion. I miss the green machine of the late 90's and early 2000's for sure.

I think the Cavies and Madison should be allowed to retain their "Brand", which includes the all-male tradition as long as they wish.

(I'm still bracing for the day that some wingnut suggests that Boston shouldn't use the "Crusaders" part of their name so as not to offend a particular group.)

As Gene Montrastelli would say, "That would be Balderdash!"

lol...dont be surprised the PC police are everywhere now

But yes I agree with everything you said