Fastest Growing Youth Activity in America?

And let's also please set just ONE goal post from which we can measure whether the world of drum corps is currently dying, because so far we've already seen those goal posts shifted from 1992, to 1972, to "BITD" (which for all I know means 1934).

Can we all at least agree that comparing life today to life in Norman Rockwell's heyday isn't really getting us anywhere?

a413fef08b92ef745459a3e754304248.jpg

That's akin to stating the United States entered WW2 in 1944, because we faired better after Normandy; thus let's forget about the time from December 7, 1941 to June 6, 1944.

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

These groups went under due to financial mismanagement and cultural changes, much like many church groups.

Was around the Sr corps scene during a big decline during the 70s/early 80s and same deal on that side of the tracks. Corps I'm familiar with went under mostly to increased costs. Local shows went under as corps needed a higher payoff but as ticket prices go up, the number of fans decreases. Less local shows so more mileage to pay for the buses, just as gas prices more than double. Double whammy was economy going south in areas so least members as they needed to work weekends or just move out to look for work. And any sponsors scrambling for money to stay afloat and can't afford to pay for non-essentials like DC.

I was 5 years old at the time - I am in NO way trying to say you are wrong.

I am just curious where the "472" number came from. Actual statistics seem so difficult to come by. For example, CorpsReps, for example, only lists 160 active Junior corps in 1972.

IIRC Brian Tolzman(sp?) has a list from his work over the decades.

PS go with my old man.... surprised the activity still exists..... especially with the time and $$$$ needed...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Back in 2008, when my boys started high school, a friend of theirs from band told them about this thing called drum corps. In 2009, my boys, started their DCI careers. Even their older brother marched with them that year. In a high school with about 1850 enrolled, they were the only 2. As their passion for the activity spread among their band, along with an awesome band director and a Cavalier guard alumni, the excitement of the activity grew. This year, not only are my 2 still in the activity, (aging out this year), but there are 5 other former marching band alumni marching in DCI. Between the 7 of them, Colts, Boston, Phantom, Crown, Cavies, and Madison. And someone thinks this is a dying activity. Just don't tell these awesome, talented kids pouring their heart and souls on the field.

• Like 2

I was 5 years old at the time - I am in NO way trying to say you are wrong.

I am just curious where the "472" number came from. Actual statistics seem so difficult to come by. For example, CorpsReps, for example, only lists 160 active Junior corps in 1972.

There were tons of corps , some towns had more than one. Take the tiny state of CT. they had at one time i believe in their history data 90 corps. BUT does this really matter today. this activity for many reasons could not be here today. IMO we should be celebrating that it's still here not comparing.

Funny about stats and polls. they can be looked at many ways. i personally never trust polls in any form and stats can have many variables and although number pushers ( sorry garfield, but you are the best at it...better you than me....lol ).. will say they dont lie, well they also dont tell an entire story either...JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. I can recall going to the World Open in Lynn, MA in the late 1970s...it was a two day event, with 50 or 60 corps in it. Most of the corps had 25-30 members....the infamous Braintree Braves actually had 7 members and rode to the show in a station wagon. It is disingenuous to suggest that drum corps is dying these days based solely on the number of corps...and certainly not after BAC attracted 6000 to their (non-Regional) show at Gillette just ten days ago.

Also, and for the record, the dozens and dozens of little drum corps which were around the Boston area 40 years ago never belonged to DCI or went on tour, so you can't blame either DCI or the "touring model" for that.

These groups went under due to financial mismanagement and cultural changes, much like many church groups.

I suspect cultural changes were more of the demise to many a corps.

That's akin to stating the United States entered WW2 in 1944, because we faired better after Normandy; thus let's forget about the time from December 7, 1941 to June 6, 1944.

So you are saying that (A) not focusing on the health of the genre 80 years ago to determine it's health today, is the same as (B) not focusing on the prior three years before an event?

I see.

I don't think you and I will be able to have a fruitful discussion on this matter, since we clearly don't employ the same basis for evaluation.

I suspect cultural changes were more of the demise to many a corps.

Thinking of the decline of the cities and the sponsoring groups (church/AL/VFW) that have gone under since the 60s.

But I live 3 miles from a city that could be a poster child of the decline (Harrisburg, PA) including a closed VFW Post that sponsored a national champ and my old church....After attending a seminar of churches in declining cities I see a LOT of similarities.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That's all wonderful, but it still does not tell the story of the number of performers.

Which to me is the only way to measure.

Fewer groups does not mean there are fewer members participating.

Until someone takes the time to evaluate that, it's all ########.

If it's all bunk, that includes claims that more members are participating now than before, and this entire thread should be ignored.