New Endings - 2015

This week and next week will see many changes to the end of shows across the drum corps world. I know that I am looking forward to some shows that truly need this change. Who do you think needs a change in their ending the most?

I'll put my vote in for the Cavaliers ending. OTSOG has a chord progression at the end of the final movement that is begging to be on a drum corps field. I hope that the Cavies have gone that path and look forward to seeing their new ending soon.

• Like 1

Who I woulda said a week ago that has since changed theirs:

I think Bluecoats was a little flat in terms of the rest of the show, sounds like that was taken care of last night. Hope it's enough to give them a boost scoring wise, I'd like to see them closer to 1st/2nd than 4th/5th.

Vanguard's new back half visually changed what I thought was pretty dull early on, at least from a visual standpoint, into my favorite ending of the year right now (twas close Cadets).

Madison Scouts new one is fan freakin tastic.

The Cadets, no words needed.

Who still needs some tweaks, additions, or rewrites:

Blue Devils, I'll agree it's not quite up to the rest of the shows level.

The Cavaliers just needs a little more something, more thematic presentation as well. I like the adding the original progression from OTSOG, that'd be great.

After the rest of the closer being so glorious, the final seconds of Phantom's fall kinda flat.

Crossmen's needs more punch and resolution, feels like the ending just kinda happens (as of last week).

Pacific Crest's needs what I am assuming is coming, some kind of reveal when that cube is finally split open at the end.

Phantom for sure. Well, they need a lot more tweaks than just the closer but I think changes to the closer will aid them the most.

• Like 1

BD, and you know it is coming

PR, that ending musically, still screams for the wedge kick

CC, still needs some "oomp" to put it on par with the rest of the show

• Like 1

Phantom for sure. Well, they need a lot more tweaks than just the closer but I think changes to the closer will aid them the most.

I think Phantom needs to concentrate on cleaning the show and to do something about that narration - like removing it would be a good start.

Even from the high cam point of view, I could not get a read on what was going on with the drill at the beginning of American in Paris. It looked very dirty.

As for the line of guard members at the end of American in Paris, every video I see of them shows flag drops during the exchange before the Can Can. They might consider removing the flag exchange.

• Like 1

The Cavaliers just needs a little more something, more thematic presentation as well. I like the adding the original progression from OTSOG, that'd be great.

I think the Cavaliers need to concentrate on the guard program. The visual, horns and percussion are great (!) but the guard isn't up to their level yet.

After watching a video of their Minnesota performance, I'm wondering if those things covering their ears are causing issues with their performance.

Cadets is good for the most part, but I don't really agree with the very last set. Seems like there should be something to give the show more of an exclamation point and I don't think the current final set does that.

• Like 1

I think it may be too late for Crown. As I wrote in the preview thread, the ending doesn't work regardless of the story. I don't know what addition they can make that will keep it from sounding wonky. Love Ode to Joy, but it just does not fit with th 80% of the show. Perhaps if it was a more sustained and minor chorus it might work, but it's just way to bouncy and frolicky in its current form.

Blue Devils would be the other corps, and I know with their staff it will be a good one.

CROWN, Definitly CROWN. Yep, that's the one. CAROLINA CROWN. The corps from SC.

In case I haven't been clear. CAROLINA CROWN.