San Antonio - Guard Perspective

I agree! Intent is important. The tops aren't green, though, and they're painted with big numbers that are very visible, so I dunno -- are they meant to disappear?

Either way, my point was merely that they clash with the rest of what's going on, color wise, which is the case no matter the intent.

Do the color of the corps proper uniforms clash with the color of the grass, yard lines and markers? I mean essentially, they're around the same color. So should Cadets change the color of those uniforms?

"Ugly" is relative. Your tastes are different from what other people consider beauty. After all, most drum corps fans consider drum corps an "art form" and with all art, what one considers ugly, another may consider it beautiful. But to keep harping on something that is the same color as grass is akin to griping over why the sky is blue.

I'm not harping on it -- I'm responding to your objections. This is a forum where people express opinions, so your clarification that my opinion is an opinion isn't needed.

Taste is relative: we agree. But whether colors compliment each other is not -- that's science -- and whether colors work together to create a certain mood is also somewhat objective, as confirmed by the history of art, as well as your basic painting or interior design schemes or any issue of GQ.

I'm not harping on it -- I'm responding to your objections. This is a forum where people express opinions, so your clarification that my opinion is an opinion isn't needed.

Taste is relative: we agree. But whether colors compliment each other is not -- that's science -- and whether colors work together to create a certain mood is also somewhat objective, as confirmed by the history of art, as well as your basic painting or interior design schemes or any issue of GQ.

So since "science states" that Cadets got the colors all wrong when it comes the the guard unis and the color of those cubes, what would YOU recommend oh wise one?

(Why, for example, isn't the raw simplicity of Crown's ballad this year reflected in the guard writing? -- why do they choose that moment, of all moments, to have a flag line, a sabre line, dancers, AND a corps writhing around under a bright red silk? Compare this use of red to PR 1996. It's overkill.)

It's clear, though, that BD and Crown are in a league of their own.

I can't believe I found myself agreeing with this. Sure, it's all amazing, and I get it for the most part. This guard has big ties (staff and member) to Carmel HS and Pride of Cincinnati, who both know a thing or two about drawing your eye to the right places. The flag line field left is my minor quibble for 'yes, we know you're great at it, and?'

• Like 2

Im pretty positive that's a 6 the CrownGuard throws on rifle with all 30 on the line.

It's a 5! I have 2 friends marching and went to there preview, the toss hasn't changed since then. It's a 6 when half of them toss first then when they all toss it's a 5!

Do the color of the corps proper uniforms clash with the color of the grass, yard lines and markers? I mean essentially, they're around the same color. So should Cadets change the color of those uniforms?

Trolling. You know I'm strictly speaking about things within designers' control. And thus you know I'm strictly speaking about complimenting the colors THEY chose, not the colors of thr environment.

So since "science states" that Cadets got the colors all wrong when it comes the the guard unis and the color of those cubes, what would YOU recommend oh wise one?

God forbid we point out that colors are a matter of physics and that even sophisticated color palettes -- combinations of colors that affect the look you want -- have objective explanations.

I'd use the same process you use to match your shirt to your tie. Well, maybe not YOU, apparently, but...

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

It's a 5! I have 2 friends marching and went to there preview, the toss hasn't changed since then. It's a 6 when half of them toss first then when they all toss it's a 5!

Im sorry but your wrong. Your friends must not be in the guard. first toss is a 7 then all 30 throw a 6..its been that way all season learn to count rotations before making statements like that.

That was last year. I think what people liked about it was that, for a show where the entire guard were the "extras" on a movie set, it was clever to see them treat the entire field like it was the studio: lights, cameras, dressing rooms, etc. So yeah, they get changed "in plain sight," because what we're seeing is everything backstage. Judges probably also liked that members went from changing costumes to immediately (and cleanly) joining a very long flag feature that lasts for most of that show's opener.

I agree that BD's color guard is sometimes overrated, in terms of performance, but no other guard of the last 10 years has as consistently contributed as creatively to the character and themes of their shows -- not even Crown, whose guard I love, but whose staging is sometimes meh and whose work sometimes showcases skill to the detriment of musicality. (Why, for example, isn't the raw simplicity of Crown's ballad this year reflected in the guard writing? -- why do they choose that moment, of all moments, to have a flag line, a sabre line, dancers, AND a corps writhing around under a bright red silk? Compare this use of red to PR 1996. It's overkill.)

It's clear, though, that BD and Crown are in a league of their own.

No, I'm not talking about last year. Think back to 2012, Cabaret Voltaire, with the giant ### rocking horses that doubled as clothes racks. The entire corps inventory of uniforms were on there until mid-show when they went from the spanx to the jackets. They simply knew they could get away with that entire process again, thus why you saw much of the idea brought back last year. Plus it actually worked with their show last year, unlike the former.

And it's not clear to me that BD and Crown are in a league of their own. That's your opinion though.

• Like 1

No, I'm not talking about last year. Think back to 2012, Cabaret Voltaire, with the giant ### rocking horses that doubled as clothes racks. The entire corps inventory of uniforms were on there until mid-show when they went from the spanx to the jackets. They simply knew they could get away with that entire process again, thus why you saw much of the idea brought back last year. Plus it actually worked with their show last year, unlike the former.

And it's not clear to me that BD and Crown are in a league of their own. That's your opinion though.

Yep, caught that. I just don't remember the guard being a part of that costume change that year, is all. The YT video I looked up wasn't clear enough to really see (and DCI archives are gone from BD's app, as well...?). The brassline's change, I remember -- and the jackets on the dada "hobby horses" I remember, but not the guard. Do you remember when it happened?

I think we could play the "no one else would get away with that" game with any top corps' eccentric design choices, though, as well as the "the knew they could get away with it." Well, ya -- if it's unusual, effective and doesn't get penalized, why not?

Edited by saxfreq1128