Ragin' Cajun [Lafayette, LA]

2nd year corps, taking it slow I suppose.

I also seem to remember reading they don't have their own instruments yet (pretty sure here, correct me if I'm wrong), they're borrowing from schools and the university where they're based. I suppose they want to wait til they have their own stuff, build up some money, and are ready. IMO the slow and steady approach is better than throwing it all in and heading to championships, with how good they are now I want them to take their time and be solid financially.

Ok. I just don't remember a corp ending their season in the middle of July.

Ok... while waiting for the scores... trivia question... and you are all on the honor system, so don't look it up:

Louisiana one year.. just one year... had a Corps that made top 12 Finals. Name the Corps, their community, the year they made Finals, and their placement. Anybody here know ?

1972 Bleu Raiders from New Orleans area (suburbs) - 12th place. Marty Hurley, later of PR fame, was drum instructor. LSU Marching Band pregame show opens w/ one of their cadences.

• Like 1

Ok. I just don't remember a corp ending their season in the middle of July.

They are currently borrowing much of their equipment from other organizations. Many of those groups are starting their own programs up again before the DCI Championship takes place, so the equipment must be returned to them.

1972 Bleu Raiders from New Orleans area (suburbs) - 12th place. Marty Hurley, later of PR fame, was drum instructor. LSU Marching Band pregame show opens w/ one of their cadences.

Yes.. Last night another poster (ironically, named " lastknight "... haha!) a couple of pages back, was the first to get the answer right... thanks for adding Marty H./ LSU connection, ILC.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Prayers go out to those suffering injuries and possible death in a theatre shooting this evening, in this community that just had a DCI show 3 days ago.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

OK. I just don't remember a corps ending their season in the middle of July.

I can't speak to whether some corps had such schedules in the past, but a fair number of Open Class corps do that nowadays. Here are the first and last competition dates of the O.C. corps who will not be attending championships this year, as well as the number of competitions each appears in:

Columbians: July 2-July 6 (3)

Eruption: July 2-July 6 (3)

Blue Devils C: June 19-July 12 (7)

Golden Empire: June 19-July 12 (11)

Impulse: June 26-July 12 (11)

Incognito: June 26-July 12 (7)

Watchmen: June 26- July 12 (6)

Thunder: July 2-July 12 (8)

Louisiana Stars: July 8-July 20 (6)

Guardians: July 16-July 20 (3)

Southwind: July 21-July 25 (5)

Heat Wave: July 24-July 25 (2)