Hypothetical Cadets Uniform Question

I just saw an announcement that Cadets 2 will be getting different uniforms next year, with a new look.

Hmmnnn....

• Like 1

I just saw an announcement that Cadets 2 will be getting different uniforms next year, with a new look.

Hmmnnn....

Exactly. Now this is getting interesting,

• Like 1

I am aware that most of the posters on DCP are primarily focused on current shows, trends, results, etc.

If you're a Cadet Alumnus you are probably focused not only on the present, but also on the 80 years that have gone before. If you haven't seen the on-line history book, this might give you a little insight into what it means to be a Cadet. Make sure you have your speakers on if you decide to check it out.

www.theholynamecadets.net

• Like 1

Hmmnnn....

Related to this, I always thought the year (2012) they used the main Cadet uniform for C2 to be one of their more odd decisions. Obviously it was an economical choice, as the main corps was using the all-cream for the Christmas thing, but with that look so associated with achieving a certain level of quality to be eligible to wear it, the decision to so easily lend it to the younger group unaltered seemed strange. I guess it goes with some of the discussion here: does the uniform make the Cadet or the Cadet make the uniform? Perhaps a bit of both, at least to the outside world.

Have Blue Devils A and SCV ever passed a completly intact uniform on to their feeder corps? I feel like they have at times used parts of them, but changed up a bit to keep things unique.

Question: do you NEED to have a uniform change to expand boundaries, seek to be innovative, and always be at the forefront of change? Or, is a uniform change done just because everyone else is doing it?

This is certainly a two part question. First question "do you NEED to have a uniform change to expand boundaries, seek to be innovative and always be at the forefront of change? Answer YES. Star of Indiana did it a great deal and yet I always knew it was Star on the field in or out of uniform. Second part of question; "Or, is a uniform change done just because everyone else is doing it?" NO, and certainly Cadets are not considering a rumor filled uniformed change because everyone else is doing it. They have never been known to be followers in this activity.

I have been a part of this activity since 1968 and around the Cadets the last ten years. With each year there was a rumor about the Cadets (George) doing something about the corps proper I have never seen those kids approach to how they put on that uniform on any different than the Holy Name Cadets of 1934. Nothing but corps pride. It has been my priviledge to watch each year the alumn present the current Cadet members with hats that symbolizes the passing on of Cadet tradition and then to listen to them sing their corps song together. These kids today are the current holders of Cadet tradition that was passed onto them from former Cadets. Many of the kids have parents or a family member who have marched as Cadets. Many of the staff, including HOF Jeff Sacktig, are former Cadets. Has anyone asked these kids, current Cadets, if they have strayed away from Cadet tradition? Someone mentioned in an earlier post "does the uniform make the Cadet or the Cadet make the uniform?" If there is a uniform change coming there is no way in hell I won't know its the Cadets even though they are not in their proper maroon and gold.

Let these kids have the opportunity to be the best Cadets they can be. After all that is all they want to do; make their fellow brother and sister Cadets proud of them. As a fan of the Cadets I couldn't be more proud of these kids for performing such a challenging and demanding show so effortlessly. I really didn't think they could pull it off from what I heard from the winter camps. So if a uniform change is coming I think its going to be nothing less than spectacular. All I know is I have watched these kids work their butts off and that work has put them in position to do what so many other corps want to do; win a DCI championship. Go Cadets!!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Edited by Fan of the Arts
  • Like 1

I was in the corps for six years.

I say full speed ahead, please.

The Cadets could wear athletic shorts and visors and they'd still be The Cadets.

I was in awe the first time I saw, live, that Maroon and Gold fly all over the field. It was the primary reason I wanted to march Cadets. But with that said, as long as Cadets keep the original style of the uniform, I wouldn't be annoyed at the color change to fit with the show. FULL SPEED AHEAD INDEED.

Having regrettably never worn the uniform, I can only speculate.... But there is a certain aura or mystique the Cadets' uniform has that other corps' uniforms don't even come close to matching. The argument for or against essentially comes down to this:

Does the Cadet make the uniform? Or does the uniform make the Cadet?

This is fantastic!

Keep the pants cream and just add back the dang stripe!

Awww I miss the stripe.

Now this is sexy!

Does the man make the times, or do the times make the man?

Does the Cadet make the uniform? Or does the uniform make the Cadet?

Only 2 choices ? One or the other ?

If the Cadets decide to toss overboard their iconic uniform that has essentially been fundamentally unchanged in 80 years, this is their choice, and they reap the rewards and/ or the potential negative repercussions that come with a uniform that has very favorable appeal to a cross section of fans from around the country, and has for, for decades.

The Cadets are the 2nd most successful Corps in DCI History. It is not the uniform per se that was principally responsible for this. But for perspective, just about all the Corps below the Cadets, have had policies of radically changing their uniforms every year, or every few years. Have these repeated changes in uniforms, in styles, in colors, help them top the Cadets ? I don't think so. So the best we can say is that changing the 80 year uniform of a Corps that is the 2nd most successful Corps during the DCI years is fraught with risk. If the Cadets think a uniform change will help them competitively in the future, then sure, go for it. If they conclude that it won't help them competitively, then why do it ? Has the 80 year old traditional Cadet uniform hurt them in recruiting, in placements ? I don't think so. I don't see evidence of it. So on a risk- reward evaluation, I'd say its a no brainer.. the risk outweighs the potential rewards, imo... thus, to me, don't try to attempt to fix something that ain't broke.

Finally, just what uniform change might the Cadets contemplate ? Are we all in agreement that whatever they choose, it fundamentally needs to fully comport with the name... " Cadets ". Are we all on board here that this Cadets style uniform for a Corps named " The Cadets " would need to remain a Cadet style ? Nobody here thinks the Cadets could be " Cadets " and go out with a uniform that looks like ( for example ) Carolina Crown, Bridgemen Alumni, Hawthorne Caballeros, etc and so forth, correct ? That would be sort of dysfunctional all around it would seem to me. So that seems out. I can't imagine a Corps called"the Cadets" would try and look in appearance like all the other DCI Corps not named " The Cadets ". But hey, if George wants another uniform as the one he has now doesn't work anymore in his opinion, then thats his choice. But I would caution George not to listen to those calling for him to change the Cadets iconic Cadet Style, 80 year uniform. Most of them calling for the Cadets to scrap their uniform do not have the Cadets best interests at heart here .

Pardon the uniform pun, but I'd caution GH to be leary of wolves coming at him in sheep's costume clothing on this ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO