Atlanta Logistics

Wish the full blown Velvet Knights were still around to make light of people that take themselves too seriously

I've always enjoyed DCI Atlanta. I use the MARTA and stay out of others' business. You have to be smart late at night and walk in groups just like anywhere in the world. As for the Dome, that 'bike/car show" was a Thugfest! Poor planning on the downtown planning calendar. Typically, the ATL crowd we encounter this weekend are families with reunions and lots of them (It's awesome), and church group events (that's awesome too), but a 'low rider, bass blaring, revved up motorcycle show and souped up neon-colored, blinged out rim car show + a bunch of corps fans don't go together. I kind of got a kick out of some of the cars playing their "music--no pun intended" loudly, after my favorite corps just blew my face off with a sound wallClueless Fools!

Where do you stay to get good MARTA access?

Having been in the middle of the mess this year as a member of Atlanta CV, it seemed much worse this year than in the past. I don't think DCI had anything to do with it though. You have to understand the background to all this. The Georgia Dome people hate the World Congress people and the feeling is mutual. The World Congress is where all the loading and unloading was. The World Congress could care less about what is going on in the Georgia Dome. They had multiple events there this week and that was their priority. The Dome show was an inconvenience to them. DCI was caught in the middle of the little ongoing war between the Dome and the World Congress Center. Unfortunately, the corps caught the brunt of it from both sides. Hopefully things will be better when the new stadium is finished (I kind of doubt it though). As to the city...well it's a big city and like all big cities it has its issues. I live in the northern suburbs and love it down here. Just gotta take the good with the bad. Atlanta really does have a lot to offer with the World of Coke, Civil rights museum, Aquarium, etc. Sorry people had a bad experience this year. On the up side it was a great show with a record crowd. It is what it is.

Dan

• Like 1

Oh there is sooo much I want to respond to in this thread. I just now noticed it....not sure how I overlooked it until now.

First, regarding what the OP stated. The GA Dome has very small loading docks. That long set of loading docks that you drove in that the corps members had to drive down belong to the GWCC and the dock bays you see on both sides are contracted out to the shows moving in/moving out of those exhibit halls. This year there is a huge medical conference in Building B that will bring far more economic impact to the city than DCI. They rented those docks - they get to use them. On the Building C side of the loading docks was the V103 Car & Bike show. There has been many safety issues with this event when it breaks and this was the concern of the GWCC with the corps walking to the Dome from the parking lot. While some of the officers may have seemed overly aggressive it was b/c they were responsible for the safety of the corps members as they walked by and the safety of the car/bike owners as they exited. The V103 folks actually changed their operations so that DCI could utilize some of their loading docks on the end of the building closer to the Dome for equipment trucks - they didn't have to do that.

Second, to those that think Atlanta is a scary, crime filled city - do some research, get out and see what is in this city. The city is booming - both downtown and the multitude of neighborhoods around the city. The restaurant scene is top notch. They are building high-end and high-rise apartment buildings all over the place particularly in Midtown and real estate is going crazy in sooo many neighborhoods. You have the Beltline, Ponce City Market, Krog Market, Piedmont Park, Centennial Olympic Park, the museums around Centennial Park....the list can go for a long time.

Third, to the poster that said his car was broken into in '09. That sucks. But you left a GPS and iPhone visible in your car while you went to event for several hours. How are you surprised? You could have done this at any mall in suburban America and it would have likely still happened.

Fourth, to the poster that complained about traffic control following the event and compared it to Falcons games. Note that the officers are paid for by the event so you shouldn't be surprised that DCI did not want to pay for a whole bunch of traffic control officers. They kept this to the minimum they had to do. If you live in the burbs, go to the nearest MARTA station on your way into town and get off at the stop right next to the Dome. You won't have to sit in any traffic, problem solved.

And lastly, to the poster that said the GWCC could care less about the Dome event. I assure you, you are mistaken. There were many, MANY meetings held to ensure the safety of all folks with as much activity was going on in those loading docks.

There, I feel better :cool:

I did find it more difficult to park this year than last. 1 hour this year, 0 minutes, last.

The V103 event had just under 25,000 in attendance plus DCI at 18,000 plus a few graduations at the GWCC = tough on parking. Next year I recommend going on the GWCC website and pre-purchase a parking pass so you are guaranteed a spot in the Red Deck or any of the surface lots. Also, a new deck by the Dome with 600 spaces will be open (opens in a couple months).

• Like 1

This is not a solution for everyone's parking probs because it tends to be expensive, but we usually stay overnight at the Omni at CNN and just walk. Yes, valet parking is $$$, but in the long run worth it.

Plus it's a nice break for the wife from tour duties.

I live in the northern suburbs and love it down here. Just gotta take the good with the bad. Atlanta really does have a lot to offer with the World of Coke, Civil rights museum, aquarium, etc. Sorry people had a bad experience this year.

I stayed in Atlanta for a conference last autumn at a hotel just around the corner from the Woodruff Arts Center, home of the Atlanta Symphony and the Alliance Theatre--saw an enjoyable production of Steel Magnolias at the latter, but I believe the orchestra musicians were on strike. Had a few hours free one day and went for a long looping walk from Piedmont Park down to the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library (which unfortunately had closed for the day just before I got there) and back. Apart from one slightly sketchy neighborhood early on, it was a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon ambling past lovely homes, charming shops, and refreshing parkways, and I'd certainly recommend Atlanta to visitors based on that experience. (It helped that temperatures were fifteen degrees warmer than they'd been back in Cleveland.) Sorry to hear that the dome staff proved miserable for some of the corps.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Glad the show was a big success. Great crowd .. As for the management of the Dome, they can pound sand ! Have driven my last equipment truck into that place! Good helpful people in general (police officers and show organizers) however a few arrogant straw bosses set a bad tone. Shouting at corps en route to the gate etc. Corps members trying to load pit equipment and Dome cops telling us to move trailers Now ! so we can let out a bunch of car show people. ( was this the only door in the facility?) My response ## #### ########. At that point they were going to run me in !

No room for the tractor trailers ?? Private vehicles Suv's Jeeps, etc parked at the freight docks . Equipnment trucks parallel parked taking up three loading docks !!! DCI paid big money for the use of that facility, and were treated as intruders. It was a good show , I guess that was the saving grace ! Maybe the Cavies did not want to put up with it :-) From here on my driving will be mid America. ( Centerville ,Ohio, Bentonville, Ark) places like that. First time I've seen the Bomb squad at a DCI event, end of rant

The Georgia Dome runs the DCI event like it's an NFL game. They do not waver from their protocol that they enforce for any other event. They are extremely tight on security, bag checks, beverages, etc. As a family we've learned over the years to leave what we can in the car to avoid being hasseled at the gate. Compare this to Lucas Oil Stadium: they do not enforce NFL stadium policy for DCI. They are much more relaxed and stadium employees are much nicer and welcoming. I think it's just a contrast in communities. It's the price you pay sometimes. Edited by drumcorpsfever