Double the fun? DCI East Proposal

This is a terrible idea. Corps get no feedback from the judges either night and an extra nights revenue is not worth it. For most corps going into Allentown they have had eight or nine shows in ten days so the open night is what everyone is looking for. Most corps want to use the free day to make last minute changes and get through the regionals with little . damage to their egos and show concepts. No corps wants to arrive in Indianapolis IN with their placement already determined.

If people want to see me more shows then get on a plane and go see them earlier in the season. That is what I do.

If the corps wanted to change the format of Allentown they would have to get the approval of YEA (George Hopkins) and that is not going to happen.

• Like 1

This is a terrible idea. Corps get no feedback from the judges either night and an extra nights revenue is not worth it. For most corps going into Allentown they have had eight or nine shows in ten days so the open night is what everyone is looking for. Most corps want to use the free day to make last minute changes and get through the regionals with little . damage to their egos and show concepts. No corps wants to arrive in Indianapolis IN with their placement already determined.

If people want to see me more shows then get on a plane and go see them earlier in the season. That is what I do.

If the corps wanted to change the format of Allentown they would have to get the approval of YEA (George Hopkins) and that is not going to happen.

um

why wouldn't they get feedback from the judges?

DCI East isn't controlled by YEA

and people just can't hop on planes like it is free or something...

it's ok if you don't like the idea and all - but I'm not sure I understand the rational

I like discussing these new ideas! I've had a few weird concepts, myself. THIS idea is not weird! It's important to consider 'bottom line, net revenue.' DCI does quite well with Allentown. The expenses to operate in Allentown are substantially less than events at larger, big-time venues.

The Atlanta regional is, by far the biggest - and best - regional of the year. To me, Atlanta holds the greatest weight going into Indy because they all compete on the same day and same panel. Atlanta does lack a true, trending placement or of appearance - which is the biggest issue I have with the show. Other than that, Atlanta serves as a great set-up for Indy. (Go Crown!).

Allentown is a cramped stadium, the show is fragmented into 2 nights, and all you can do is compare one show to the other. We all have discussed in great lenght how you can't compare scores from one show to another - and in Allentown, we are forced to do just that.

Why shouldn't Blue Devils be facing Crown head-to-head in the last "regional"? That's a farce as far as I can see. Instead, the last time the BD faces Crown and Cadets is in Buffalo - which is a TOC. And, we all know that TOC's can get a little whacky.

I think this is something that DCI needs to address. Allentown is an old, revered show. I totally understand that. This show was around back when I marched in the 70's. It holds a lot of nostaliga. However, this show shouldn't be called a regional anymore than the show earlier in the year in Minnesota is called a regional. Unless they are all there, or close to being all there - AT THE SAME TIME - then this should just be considered a great 2-day show of drum corps.

Allentown is always the same panel.

Boston would be a great place to have DCI Finals, Gillette is a very current and family friendly venue and it would be a another great boost for the town.

I think corps like performance fees AND performance opportunities

Then, why do corps take any days off? There are corps now that don't use every opportunity to perform that they have already.

Performance nights don't come without cost either in gasoline or fatigue on the part of the corps and staff. It's not just the performing, but the getting there and back.

I think this idea is driven more by "fan need" than corps need. If the corps felt they needed another major show this weekend, they'd get it. They have a little swing with DCI, I think.

I was never involved with a touring drum corps operation, but I have seen single days 'off' used for uniform repairs and cleaning, member laundry, vehicle repairs and organization, visiting local attractions by members, etc. Obviously, additional practice time, particularly with end-of-season changes. Things seem pretty rigorous as it is!

We in Blooville think the last TOC show is fine just where it is!!! :-)

Speaking of which...on line ticket sales end at midnight Saturday. Sales have really picked up in the last few days.

Avoid having to watch 7 of the top 8 from the end zone. Get your tickets NOW. Last year's walk up crowd was in the THOUSANDS.

GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!