OFFICIAL DCI FINALS THREAD

Crossmen:

11813245_10205426887046531_8715916655216

I've got the headphones on tonight through a 100 watt per channel receiver. I've just EQ'd the phones to my preference, which is to say midrange, and I want to hear the drums CRACK when they hit a rimshot.

With the EQ through the PC, I can also see a visualization of the audio feed DCI Live! is sending. It is really optimized and dialed in for this broadcast.

If you've got the speaker power at home, you can crank this baby as loud as you want with no distortion, and minimal compression on the high end. You should be able to get great dynamics and great SPL (sound pressure level) at the same time.

:music: :music: :music:

It was already fairly annoying when I heard Crossmen live, but at the theater on Thursday and today on the stream, their synth bass comes across as so heavy. Much of that could be given to the tubas, who often aren't playing.

it's a Texas BOA ear thing me thinks- those bands use a lot of e-bass. Thing is DCI corps don't need it.

the pit was wonderful - it just needed remixed to more of a DCI spectrum - with much more keyboard sound, then cymbals and metalics, wood effects and finally supporting bass. Currently the keys were getting swallowed up.

Nice pre-show build into the minor Flying Trapeze statement. Also love the flag tosses over the horns, something we don't see as much in modern drum corps.

Corps now forms their big top, which also focuses on the backfield stage as we have our first side show performer, the tight rope walker.

The human rubber man. Is he double jointed or just REALLY flexible, like those trombone smears?

Blue Stars do a great job of directing your focus towards each staging area. Lovely solo by our fortune teller!

It was already fairly annoying when I heard Crossmen live, but at the theater on Thursday and today on the stream, their synth bass comes across as so heavy. Much of that could be given to the tubas, who often aren't playing.

Also, Rondinaro on Thursday praised the "pure brass sound" in their down-front ballad moment, I sure thought I was hearing synth there, and even though all the pit players are ducked behind their instrument at that time, you could see the synth players hands on their keyboards.

I had a 5th row seat at Prelims so got a great view. They let the brass play alone except for the last note when the keyboard player adds the low bass note.

Sigh -- and Cadets keys player presses a button for each note of the French horn feature.

Both of these pieces could have been done just as effectively w/o help.

That juggler nailed it every time I've seen him, including tonight.

Contortionist seems more like a rapid yoga routine than anything overly freaky. But JUGGLER!