Carolina Crown 2016

Carolina Crown is at that development stage now with " a rep " of excellence in performance that enables them now to play Three Blind Mice, or Jingle Bells, or pop tunes from Dionne Warwick from the 50's. 60's, or anything... ANYTHING..... and place well. Thats what good writers, good talent pool of marchers, good visual and guards allow you to do in DCI. So this overthinking of the themes, and music selection of Corps really is quite amusing to me. Until these shows hit the field, all this talk about predictive " winning " or " losing " or " copycat " or " exciting " themes based upon a press release is funny as all heck to me.

• Like 1

Carolina Crown is at that development stage now with " a rep " of excellence in performance that enables them now to play Three Blind Mice, or Jingle Bells, or pop tunes from Dionne Warwick from the 50's. 60's, or anything... ANYTHING..... and place well. Thats what good writers, good talent pool of marchers, good visual and guards allow you to do in DCI. So this overthinking of the themes, and music selection of Corps really is quite amusing to me. Until these shows hit the field, all this talk about predictive " winning " or " losing " or " copycat " or " exciting " themes based upon a press release is funny as all heck to me.

Agreed. In fact the top 4 (talent in MMs is a given). It really becomes a competition of show designs. The top 4 are all capable of winning a caption or two but who grabs the GE price with no weak caption to drag on them. Should be another competitive season. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

meh -- just put him on your ignore list.

funniest thing so far is Cappy : "It's the same show as Inferno".

it's all good. i'm pretty hopeful about this show. the music is to die for.

percussion just needs to really come out smokin' hot.

other captions will continue to shine.

as much fun as the final race to finish was last season, i'd be perfectly happy to see crown take off on day one and never look back. they've had most of the pieces for a while now.

the time is at hand.

Corpsband: "Crown is going to win this year"

Huh, I guess inaccurately paraphrasing other people's posts IS fun.

This.

You and I share an opinion on this topic completely.

It's like seeing the dessert menu at a restaurant and deciding not to order something because you just know there's no way that peice of pie can be as good as the ones Grandma used to make.

• Like 1

Here comes George taking swipes at Crown. JMO....you know, because I can say anything as long as I put JMO at the end.

Translation: Only opinions of how awesomely awesome Crown was/is/will be are actual valid opinions. Everything else is just haters hatin'.

That said, I'm intrigued by the concept and what little I've heard from them certainly sounds promising. Like most shows of theirs, it usually takes the summer for me to buy in to what their doing (honking often gets in the way), but no doubt they've come to play this year.

I hope this opinion of mine passes muster.

If you wanna see stuff, make a donation and help them out a bit. They're going to start sending out vids once Spring Training begins.

Otherwise just wait or scour YouTube every day like I always do. Usually find a full show or two by mid June before they get taken down. ._.

Or, live a few miles from Gardner Webb and head over to watch evening rehearsals after work. Works pretty well for me. :)

• Like 1

Now, now. Let's not start this until at least mid July this year.

To each his own.

• Like 2

Ok Cappy I'll play. Heeeeeere we go:

Let's start off with with your analysis of the show structures.

What are these uncanny similarities?

Please show your work. Just a simple outline for 2009, 2010, 2015 will do.

BTW did you even *see* Crown 2010 live? That show was dominating the first part of the season. Then the battery starting losing members. And judges stopped crediting intent and nailed them for execution. There were parts of that show the brass never could get clean (and hosing didn't help). There were visual responsibilities that made accurate attacks and releases impossible. (I'll never forget -- boxingfred was on tour with Cadets and he'd come back to DCP and report the same d##n errors happening every show. I was so mad at him for doing that ).

Essentially the design team over-wrote and the battery disintegrated. The show designs weren't the same in 2009-10. But there *was* a story arc that connected the two designs. Was Crown anxious to get a win after tasting 2nd place? HECK YEAH! But they didn't design a show in response to their placement. 2009 was a fairy tale season for Crown -- I'll never forget a phone call from the kid telling me "Dad -- the WHOLE STAFF is crying their eyes out." me: "Why? What happened?" her:"I guess this is the first time Crown ever beat the Cavaliers".

I think now Crown tries to design shows to win every season. So that half of your assertion is true.

But trying to write a show in response to a 2nd place finish when they think they deserved first? Not really.

I think Crown's designers every year "reach" in some aspect. Sometimes those reaches work -- sometimes they don't. That willingness to "hang it all out there" is probably why I liked Crown in the first place.

Heck 2016 might have some visual idea (trampolines) that just never lives up to it's potential.

But having heard most of the music book -- they are in as good a place pre-season as they've ever been. Face value that repertoire is kind of disjointed. But the arrangements and consistent "feel" they all project -- it's just really cool.

So let me honk in peace!

No there wasn't. However, if you put that aside and just take a look at 2009's and 2010's show structure/theme, it seemed pretty similar.

Now look at their description of Relentless and tell me you don't see the thematic similarities between this and Inferno: "the performers deliver initial heartbreak, a physical and emotional journey to right a wrong, and ultimately, the moment of truth . . .[/size]vigilante justice."

The similarities are uncanny and both 2010 and this show are occurring a year after the crowd was pretty convinced that Crown should have won. Obviously this is all speculation from me and I doubt the Crown staff would ACTUALLY design a show around hurt feelings, I'm just saying that it seems like Crown tried to capture the same magic from 2009 ---> 2010 and seem to be doing the same 2015 ----> 2016.

And once again, I really hope my speculation turns out to be wrong.

Ok Cappy I'll play. Heeeeeere we go:

Let's start off with with your analysis of the show structures.

What are these uncanny similarities?

Please show your work. Just a simple outline for 2009, 2010, 2015 will do.

BTW did you even *see* Crown 2010 live? That show was dominating the first part of the season. Then the battery starting losing members. And judges stopped crediting intent and nailed them for execution. There were parts of that show the brass never could get clean (and hosing didn't help). There were visual responsibilities that made accurate attacks and releases impossible. (I'll never forget -- boxingfred was on tour with Cadets and he'd come back to DCP and report the same d##n errors happening every show. I was so mad at him for doing that ).

Essentially the design team over-wrote and the battery disintegrated. The show designs weren't the same in 2009-10. But there *was* a story arc that connected the two designs. Was Crown anxious to get a win after tasting 2nd place? HECK YEAH! But they didn't design a show in response to their placement. 2009 was a fairy tale season for Crown -- I'll never forget a phone call from the kid telling me "Dad -- the WHOLE STAFF is crying their eyes out." me: "Why? What happened?" her:"I guess this is the first time Crown ever beat the Cavaliers".

I think now Crown tries to design shows to win every season. So that half of your assertion is true.

But trying to write a show in response to a 2nd place finish when they think they deserved first? Not really.

I think Crown's designers every year "reach" in some aspect. Sometimes those reaches work -- sometimes they don't. That willingness to "hang it all out there" is probably why I liked Crown in the first place.

Heck 2016 might have some visual idea (trampolines) that just never lives up to it's potential.

But having heard most of the music book -- they are in as good a place pre-season as they've ever been. Face value that repertoire is kind of disjointed. But the arrangements and consistent "feel" they all project -- it's just really cool.

So let me honk in peace!

I'm honking there with you, CorpsBand! HONK, HONK!!!!!

The coolest thing about Crown 2009-2010 arc was when the ending of 2009 was secretly reintroduced a week before finals in 2010. Caught me totally off guard at the first show where they had it in (West Chester). Shivers.