DCI Suggestion Box

"Pulsing"can look really false to me and detract from the unbelievable mallet work going on in the pit (IMHO). And, I think excessive Duts are also a crutch to some degree. I don't want to hear it....the composer did not pen Duts into the score.

Absolutely agree.

Spot on.

• Like 1

Cappybara - Thanks for using the word "incompetent".

Do you know if we're talking about DCI's digital crew per se? I wonder if they simply farmed everything out... the video to NeuLion... the billing to "nmnathletics"? Did they wash their hands of it completely? Is that why things are so screwy? Sometimes I wonder if DCI's sitting back thinking all is well while the technology ship is actually sinking. I surely don't get the feeling that anyone at DCI gives a darn about the problems we're having.

Edited by paulie1340

Wow, at least 80% of the comments is thread crapping! The OP started a thread for suggestions to DCI.

Please respect the OP's wishes on his thread, and please don't make any comments or arguments regarding my suggestion. It's just my suggestion and I will not comment further or respond on this thread.

+++

DCI: Please get the judges OFF the field.

I feel there is a safety factor that is being ignored for the marchers. Don't wait until even ONE kid gets hurt, it's not worth it.

There are plenty of smart people who can make intelligent suggestions as to how to properly adjudicate the performers from the sideline or wherever. Work it out, make safety your #1 priority, everything else is a distant second.

+++

Wow, at least 80% of the comments is thread crapping! The OP started a thread for suggestions to DCI.

Please respect the OP's wishes on his thread, and please don't make any comments or arguments regarding my suggestion. It's just my suggestion and I will not comment further or respond on this thread.

+++

DCI: Please get the judges OFF the field.

I feel there is a safety factor that is being ignored for the marchers. Don't wait until even ONE kid gets hurt, it's not worth it.

There are plenty of smart people who can make intelligent suggestions as to how to properly adjudicate the performers from the sideline or wherever. Work it out, make safety your #1 priority, everything else is a distant second.

+++

It's a discussion forum. It's not a discussion if everyone says their suggestion and then leaves without talking about the ideas.

I'm gonna let the percussion guys fight it out with you with regards to your suggestion, but I'm just gonna say... think about all the differences between brass and percussion, AND then ask yourself whether you'd like to risk adjudication accuracy in order to prevent something that pretty much never happens.

My only retort is that for the same reasons you can tell when kids are faking it instead of just playing notes. Their expressiveness and "communications" comes from their hands and arms, not from their heads.

oh no swami, it can come from heads too. watch a bettery some time...you can see it there too.

That sounds expensive and complicated.

Not only that, DCI already has a pretty incompetent digital crew in my opinion. The way they've handled their new streaming service, their redesign of their website, posting scores early multiple times at competitions.. Heck, they even screwed up the Awards feed which you pointed out as well.

I think your idea is good in principle, but does not seem practical.

popularity contests don't really tell you who won. it just tells you who fans liked.

judging by the reactions Saturday, the fans liked a lot of the corps

It's a discussion forum. It's not a discussion if everyone says their suggestion and then leaves without talking about the ideas.

I'm gonna let the percussion guys fight it out with you with regards to your suggestion, but I'm just gonna say... think about all the differences between brass and percussion, AND then ask yourself whether you'd like to risk adjudication accuracy in order to prevent something that pretty much never happens.

the odds are higher of dying in a fiery car crash the a judge getting hit

Can we have a non-electronics division? Half the sound coming off the field anymore is controlled by some fat guy sitting in the stands. I want to hear wind+muscle, not electrons+paper cones.

"Fat guy sitting in the stands?" Really?

Edited by JCMusic251
  • Like 1

DCI should RETURN to the days of NO electronics, no vocals, (sorry) NO trombones/F-Horns. A MAJOR CHANGE needed in order to promote QUALITY and fairness during finals week is ALL scores earned during Prelims, Semi and Finals should be used and the WINNER determined based on the teams with the highest average scores. I for one am NOT willing to support an activity in which ONE panel of judges is allowed to make the call. The GRAND Champion should be based on the most consistent team during FINALS WEEK!

• Like 3

For DCI and Michael Boo - I'd love to have a way to search the all the Live Blogs after the fact by individual corps. Don't know how this could be done, but scrolling through the entire live blog to look for the live blog portion regarding a specific corps performance (say I want to find out all the background that was discussed about Bluecoat's show during finals for example) is extremely tedious. Other than that - sure love the live blogs as an extension to the other ways to view the shows both online and live.