DCI Suggestion Box

To DCI: Advise your members that if they are going to put an honor guard out there in retreat, make sure they know proper flag protocol. I was surprised by the number of units that didn't seem to have a clue!

Probably because the staff doesn't have a clue.

I've been mostly responding and reading, but this is my first "wish" from DCI and, by which, I mean the corps that make it up:

Please, please, STOP STOP STOP teaching pit members to bob up and down with a completely over-emphasized beat of the tempo like an apple thrown in a bucket of water. I understand and agree with mechanical and defined mallet pre-positioning and even orchestrating the unison hand movement, but...

THE BOBBING UP AND DOWN IN MOCK-EMOTION KEEPING TIME IS NOT USED ANYWHERE ELSE IN KEYBOARD PERFORMANCE - YOU SHOULD NOT BE TEACHING OR ALLOWING IT IN DRUM CORPS!

IT LOOKS S-T-U-P-I-D, *NOT* PROFESSIONAL, AND IS A ***HUGE DISTRACTION*** FROM ENJOYING THE QUALITY OF THEIR PLAYING.

Thank you for allowing me to spout off. I'm sure some of you actually enjoy watching the pit act like bobble-headed puppets at the end of some "magical" string controlling their movements. So be it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

I think the judges sheets could be an issue in and of themselves. The sheets state for both repertoire and performers, "To what extent does the...(repertoire or performer)...engage the audience?"

Who is the audience?

The easy answer is the crowd. But are the judges judging how engaged they themselves are? Or measuring what the crowd is responding to?

It's a bit like the Oscar's vs the Box Office. A movie that is critically acclaimed may win the Oscar, yet the movie that connects most with people receives the box office dollars. Except in drum corps, the corps that doesn't win gold doesn't necessarily receive more $$$. Maybe a bad analogy.

I am sure all of this has been discussed ad infinitum. Just my take.

engagement doesn't just mean throwing babies at the field. Do you want hooting and hollering during a ballad designed to make you cry?

• Like 2

I've been mostly responding and reading, but this is my first "wish" from DCI and, by which, I mean the corps that make it up:

Please, please, STOP STOP STOP teaching pit members to bob up and down with an completely over-emphasized beat of the tempo like an apple thrown in a bucket of water. I understand and agree with mechanical and defined mallet pre-positioning and even orchestrating the unison hand movement, but...

THE BOBBING UP AND DOWN IN MOCK-EMOTION KEEPING TIME IS NOT USED ANYWHERE ELSE IN KEYBOARD PERFORMANCE - YOU SHOULD NOT BE TEACHING OR ALLOWING IT IN DRUM CORPS!

IT LOOKS S-T-U-P-I-D, *NOT* PROFESSIONAL, AND IS A ***HUGE DISTRACTION*** FROM ENJOYING THE QUALITY OF THEIR PLAYING.

Thank you for allowing me to spout off. I'm sure some of you actually enjoy watching the pit act like bobble-headed puppets at the end of some "magical" string controlling their movements. So be it.

Some of it can be too much, but I think it's just a way that the members keep themselves "in" the performance and communicate with each other with regards to tempo without having to look at each other (can use peripheral vision). Just my theory though.

Some of it can be too much, but I think it's just a way that the members keep themselves "in" the performance and communicate with each other with regards to tempo without having to look at each other (can use peripheral vision). Just my theory though.

While I can certainly perceive the logic as put forth in your rationale...personally, I'm not buying it. I think that it might be far safer to argue that it is nothing other than a spontaneous physical expression of a performer being "into the music." (a point of which, if I am reading your rationale correctly, you were inferring). As far as the "communicating with each other" point...naaahhh. If nothing else, nobody can argue that the performer is incorrect in his or her assertion of "I was just into the vibe, man."

Edited by HornTeacher

While I can certainly perceive the logic as put forth in your rationale...personally, I'm not buying it. I think that it might be far safer to argue that it is nothing other than a spontaneous physical expression of a performer being "into the music." If nothing else, nobody can argue that the performer is incorrect in his or her assertion.

No offense taken! I personally don't mind it since the members seem to be enjoying the heck out of themselves while bouncing like those balls you get in those gumball machines.

I'd rather that than them looking lifeless like the guard members in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

You're much too gracious, IMO.

The pit is the most-amped section of the entire corps - they couldn't possibly be more "in" the performance but, even if they wanted to be more "in" it, they need only turn the dial on the master board.

There is not other line in the percussion "section" that gets to "bob" to each other to keep time. They are expected to listen and be aware and the pit should be no different. The guy at one end of the pit can't possibly be affecting the girl at the other with his gyrations any more than the snares, basses, or tenors.

Now, if they judge the pit on the GE sheet and grant praise for emoting in time with the tempo, then have at it. Until that, it adds nothing to GE or to the presence of their performance.

IMO

Please, please, STOP STOP STOP teaching pit members to bob up and down with a completely over-emphasized beat of the tempo like an apple thrown in a bucket of water. I understand and agree with mechanical and defined mallet pre-positioning and even orchestrating the unison hand movement, but...

The bobbing for apples never bothered me, but if it's a good enough reason to remove the entire junk pile from the front sideline...

No offense taken! I personally don't mind it since the members seem to be enjoying the heck out of themselves while bouncing like those balls you get in those gumball machines.

I'd rather that than them looking lifeless like the guard members in the 70s and 80s.

Of this you and I most definitely share agreement. :colgate:

:sarcasm:

If we were to demand a removal of "excessive head-bobbing in mock emotion" from pit members...are we also ready to demand a removal of the sudden body-swaying, horn-angle changing, outward physical demand of "HEY!!! LOOK AT US!!! LOOK AT JUST HOW MUCH WE'RE INTO THE MUSIC" motions from the horn lines common during park-and-bark high points in the music??? To me, at least, the two share very similar realities...and sometimes, rather false expression.

Edited by HornTeacher