DCI Suggestion Box

Yah, but is it effective if only the green shirts post-critique sales pitch understand it as making sense? No disagreement on the performance aspect of same.

Can't we just imagine a Corps doing a show in performance revolving around the theme of " Total Confusion ". Nobody knows what in Hades is going on, everybody is confused, the Corps finishes the well executed totally confused, convoluted show, and the GE judge turns to the other GE judge and inquires " What the heck was that show all about ? " The other GE judge replies : " I'm with you too. I'm confused as well " . So both GE judges comment on the tapes that it was " pure genius ", and give high marks for even bringing the judges to a final state of " Total Confusion " at the end of the performance. The fact the whole thing is vapid, intellectually absurd, and mindless is its " genius ". Some Corps needs to think of doing a show theme along these similar lines. How about.... " Constantly Risking Absurdity " or some such ? hmnnn.... um,... to think about it more, some clever show designers have already figured out how to successfully do a show theme for the DCI judges like this with much upside, and with very little downside, theme wise, come to think of it.

Edited by BRASSO

Can you imagine a Corps doing a show in performance revolving around the theme of " Total Confusion ". Nobody knows what in Hades is going on, everybody is confused, the Corps finishes the well executed totally confused mess, and the GE judge turns to the other judge and says " What the heck was that show all about ? " The judge says " I'm with you too. I'm confused as well " . So both GE judges comment that it was " pure genius ", and hive high marks for even bringing the judges to a final state of " Total Confusion ". The fact the whole thing is absurd is its " genius ". Some Corps needs to think of doing a show theme along these similar lines. How about.... " Constantly Risking Absurdity " or some such ? hmnnn.... um, to think about it more.... some clever show designers have already figured out how to do a show theme with much upside, and very little downside, theme wise.

I would sure like to figure out what the heck this post is supposed to mean.

Do you really think that's how the judges reacted to that BD show?

Maybe I don't want to know...

:tounge2:

I would sure like to figure out what the heck this post is supposed to mean.

:tounge2:

Are you saying you are in a state of " Total Confusion " on a show theme discussion revolving around a potential future show theme entitled " Total Confusion " ?

If so, we might be headed in the right direction for a possible future Show Theme that could work in creating the neccessary uncomfortableness with both fans and judges alike required to attain its pure " genius " as a show theme and theme messaging for consideration, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I understand, and agree. I think that since, oh, at least 30 years ago (i.e. 1983 SCV soft ending, 1984 Suncoast Sound balloon), most people get this. But occasionally, a reminder is warranted.

That, of course, is one reason we use a judge to assess "general effect" instead of merely counting how many babies were thrown for each corps.

I have no data on this, but I would suppose a sizeable number of fans go to the shows, not for the scores or the placements, but to throw babies, do the oohs and the arrrs , which also can be done effectively with the quiet shows, the intellectual shows, the shows with the silent, or soft endings. Many of the former fans that liked their brass playing so loud that it would would pin their ears back are long gone now from following the activity. What remain now are many fans that can and do appreciate " quieter " shows or endings. For just one example, the Mandarins this season did not score particularly well ( had some execution issues ). They had a quiet ending. An almost completely silent ending as a matter of fact. While they did not score particularly well, the show was a huge hit with audiences this season. One read of the DCP comments too on the threads in which they competed confirms this response with most DCP'ers as well. What we learn from this ( once again ) is that there is little relationship at all between what fans like and what judges reward. Judges merely judge the sheets as written and agreed too and provided to them. The judges ( except for long time DCI judge George Oliviero ) did not write the sheets. It was given to them. And so they apply the sheets as written to reward these Corps in performance. But what is in the judges domain is not in the fans domain. They have separate interests. By choice.

Edited by BRASSO

I understand, and agree. I think that since, oh, at least 30 years ago (i.e. 1983 SCV soft ending, 1984 Suncoast Sound balloon), most people get this. But occasionally, a reminder is warranted.

That, of course, is one reason we use a judge to assess "general effect" instead of merely counting how many babies were thrown for each corps.

I remember that moment vividly. The single white balloon released at the wall, followed by dozens released by the crowd. The show could have stopped right there and there would have been a full minute or two of standing O. That was major GE, and it was done quietly and deftly.

What changes would you like to see in DCI? What are they doing right and what needs improvement? Share your thoughts!

Woodwinds. I want to see a whole line of woodwinds, the sooner the better!!!

Can't we just imagine a Corps doing a show in performance revolving around the theme of " Total Confusion ". Nobody knows what in Hades is going on, everybody is confused, the Corps finishes the well executed totally confused, convoluted show, and the GE judge turns to the other GE judge and inquires " What the heck was that show all about ? " The other GE judge replies : " I'm with you too. I'm confused as well " . So both GE judges comment on the tapes that it was " pure genius ", and give high marks for even bringing the judges to a final state of " Total Confusion " at the end of the performance. The fact the whole thing is vapid, intellectually absurd, and mindless is its " genius ". Some Corps needs to think of doing a show theme along these similar lines. How about.... " Constantly Risking Absurdity " or some such ? hmnnn.... um,... to think about it more, some clever show designers have already figured out how to successfully do a show theme for the DCI judges like this with much upside, and with very little downside, theme wise, come to think of it.

i think you just described BD 2010

• Like 1

Patience is a virtue, my friend.

Patience is a virtue, my friend.

Then again drugs can damage the mind and make one delusional.

Love and passion can sometimes be considered a drug.

Edited by xandandl