Phantom Regiment 2016

I think I'm at the point where the only thing I can't get past in this show is that it totally dies during the two minutes in between the ballads. Brass plays maybe 3 different notes. I'm going through 100 DCI shows in my head and can't think of a single one that goes opener -> ballad -> drum feature -> ballad -> closer. It's like my brain can't cope.

• Like 1

I think I'm at the point where the only thing I can't get past in this show is that it totally dies during the two minutes in between the ballads. Brass plays maybe 3 different notes. I'm going through 100 DCI shows in my head and can't think of a single one that goes opener -> ballad -> drum feature -> ballad -> closer. It's like my brain can't cope.

It's definitely odd lol. I would've preferred if they did opener --> ballad ---> drum feature ---> fast section ---> ballad closer

Phantom does a true percussion feature. Something not programmed for a long time.

A few more things....

Two ballads. How dare they.

Uniforms inspired from their past. How dare they.

Vanguard gets a pass for a uniform that is almost identical to something they wore in the 80's.

Vanguard starts out with a ballad. Then has another ballad later in the program.

This is not a knock on Vanguard. The show is beautiful. I can't help but think that Phantom get's knocked for things others are doing but because it's Phantom, the attitude is a bit different.

• Like 2

Phantom does a true percussion feature. Something not programmed for a long time.

A few more things....

Vanguard gets a pass for a uniform that is almost identical to something they wore in the 80's.

Vanguard starts out with a ballad. Then has another ballad later in the program.

This is not a knock on Vanguard. The show is beautiful. I can't help but think that Phantom get's knocked for things others are doing but because it's Phantom, the attitude is a bit different.

Except when Vanguard does it, it isn't boring.

• Like 4

There is at least a ton of precedent in DCI for openers that start slow before the first big hit, and then a fast section. See basically every Crossmen show between 1990 and 1994.

I have not seen drum corps in years. Watched some DCI TV from Minnesota last weekend. Regarding Phantom Regiment; I truly enjoyed their program. I congratulate them for their non-fragmented delivery of musical phrases. They completed many musical sentences, and in some instances, completed entire musical paragraphs! They must have a unique set of brass instruments? On my computer, they were a completely intonated family. Wow! Soloists, as well as the ensemble were totally pitch centered, even centered with the pit instruments. Again, Wow!

Bravo Brett K! The percussion scoring was outstanding, and very tastefully complimented the brass program. Their battery sounded great on TV, clearly a different tuning range than all other groups I heard. Bravo! The snares were much wetter than others, and actually had a "bit" of width to the signal. They may not tape the snares to the bottom head. What rebels!! Their tenors were clear, and much warmer than others. I so appreciate any deviation from the norm, especially if it best suits your musical program.

Granted Phantom, does not perform the COMPULSORY, fabricated brass runs and numerous syncopated angry endings with gong and concert bass drum strikes, they do deliver a very entertaining and musically worthwhile program. Congrats to their staff and kids for surviving the season with So Few Notes!

• Like 4

2012 Bluecoats is the closest you'll get.

A few more things....

Sorry Vanguard's show construction makes sense, Regiment's does not. Vanguard's show builds throughout and the slow opener is thrilling and exciting because of the visual that accompanies it, and their ballad is perhaps one of the most beautiful ever. Their show is a masterpiece this year. The design and construction completely makes sense.

Phantom's ballads are beautiful, no doubt, but the construction of the show doesn't work. It's odd the ballad -> log drum feature -> ballad. It just was not a good idea. And, they are going to pay for it down the road.

While I absolutely love Regiment's guard uniforms, I'm not a fan of the corps proper and especially the pit uniforms. I don't know why they had to add the black. Man, I remember in '87 when them came out with those all whites. There was nothing like it. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on the field (still to this day). I don't like the black in the tops of the corps proper uniforms. It doesn't look good from afar. SCV's uniforms enhance their show. They look magnificent on the field. Regiment should have just stuck with all white, with silver accents, IMO.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

I support all corps and their members but I will say that the Phantom Regiment doesn't excite me too much this year. I liked 2012, 2011 was okay, 2013-2015 weren't my cup of tea AT ALL, and 2016 just loses me.

I used to love this corps (90s and 00s were just fantastic) but they are losing me :-(

Funny you say this.....I used to like drum corps as an activity 1971- 2012 but now it's become a circus. DCI has lost me....and my dollars.

While this year's show is miles ahead of 2015 in many ways, I'd say the best finish for Regiment will be eighth (essentially where they were last year, plus a much improved Cavaliers).

But Blue Stars are also much improved, with effective drill, guard, and percussion, as well as design depth. And apparently Xmen are neck-and-neck (I like Xmen, but I have the feeling that Blue Stars will pull away). We'll see Regiment's brass performance rise in particular as we still have three weeks, but will it rise enough?

As such, it's not outside the realm of possibility that Regiment finishes in 10th. I don't think the finish will be lower than ninth, but 10th is indeed possible.

Let's say that happens. What happens next? (and I don't mean "the buses head back to Rockford from Indianapolis")

I've said all along that placement doesn't matter so much to me... but if they finish in 10th...!

Of course, the season has to play out. But my two-hour drive home from Broken Arrow had me thinking...

• Like 1