MADISON SCOUTS 2016

Not that I give a flip about scores and placement, but the reason why Scouts might be that low this year is because the corps is pretty new in terms of membership. For example the drumline has 1 returning bass, no returning tenors, 2 returning snares, and 3 returning cymbals.

Seriously? Only 6 returned in the entire drum line? Thats just terrible retention. How does this compare to other corps? Again, the lack of local membership is not a good thing. I really wanted to be wrong when I predicted about a Month ago that Madison would be battling for the 12th finals spot. This situation really saddens me. Wait 'til next year.

Seriously? Only 6 returned in the entire drum line? Thats just terrible retention. How does this compare to other corps? Again, the lack of local membership is not a good thing. I really wanted to be wrong when I predicted about a Month ago that Madison would be battling for the 12th finals spot. This situation really saddens me. Wait 'til next year.

It doesnt matter where the membership comes from. It matters if its quality.

• Like 4

It doesnt matter where the membership comes from. It matters if its quality.

It does matter. When drum corps membership was mostly local, members went to school together, hung out together, & could easily get together to practice, learn charts, & bond. Members were more inclined to stay with a corps because their buddies were with the corps. It was much easier to retain local members than out of state members. The drum corps activity must figure out a way to increase local membership, perhaps by offering a discounted in state tuition & a reduced tuition for returning members.

It does matter. When drum corps membership was mostly local, members went to school together, hung out together, & could easily get together to practice, learn charts, & bond. Members were more inclined to stay with a corps because their buddies were with the corps. It was much easier to retain local members than out of state members. The drum corps activity must figure out a way to increase local membership, perhaps by offering a discounted in state tuition & a reduced tuition for returning members.

nm

Edited by GUARDLING

Nevertheless, fighting for 12th is not going to help Madison's recruitment efforts...efforts that they've been working hard at improving upon for a number of years now! Can't spin it any other way...we just ran out of lipstick to put on that pig...This is a huge OUCH moment for the Scouts, and all of the hype!

What year are we in?!st DCI doesn;t decide anything, corps do ( mainly for themselves ) Don't you think if corps could get local membership to fill their corps there would have been no need to go cross country in some cases to recruit?

I remember those days of kids getting together also BUT it was mainly because we had nothing else to do. It's 2016 and the demand on kids as well as what is available to kids today is not even close to what we may have had. It';s a different kid with different needs with different demands . Good luck with trying to return to the Brady bunch days.

Hey don't get me wrong, wouldn't it be nice to be that care free again , just not realistic. JMO

Drum Corps aren't doing enough to recruit local members. Why aren't more local bandos signing up for Drum Corps? Why havent Drum Corps been able to forge close relationships with local bands? Its ironic & odd that Drum Corps has pretty much devolved into marching band, & show audiences are mostly bandos, yet Drum Corps have difficulty recruiting local band students. Perhaps the out of state camps & tryouts would yield a better ROI if that time & effort was spent locally? The current national recruiting model is a mess that cant be sustained long term.

a) The Scouts are a highly competitive organization performing in a highly competitive 'national' environment; B) They are mainly comprised of university age members; C) Lets put this in perspective: are the highly competitive organizations at the University of Wisconsin Madison comprised of mostly local-yokels? Nope. Well, there you have it!

Drum Corps aren't doing enough to recruit local members. Why aren't more local bandos signing up for Drum Corps? Why havent Drum Corps been able to forge close relationships with local bands? Its ironic & odd that Drum Corps has pretty much devolved into marching band, & show audiences are mostly bandos, yet Drum Corps have difficulty recruiting local band students. Perhaps the out of state camps & tryouts would yield a better ROI if that time & effort was spent locally? The current national recruiting model is a mess that cant be sustained long term.

You caught me before I revised my post...lol

1st in alot of cases Bands replaced the old local drum corps, especially the early training member.. There is not enough local in any area to sustain a corps.corps need tp recruit in many areas to get a full corps. AS I said before deleting . Its a very different world and kid now and we can not pretend it isn't . That for sure will be the total demise of the activity.

I will agree though that corps do need to do all they can to make a connection to area bands or possible membership but I'm sure most if not all do try.

Edited by GUARDLING

Seriously? Only 6 returned in the entire drum line? Thats just terrible retention. How does this compare to other corps?

This has been going on since well before time began. Jeff Queen, for example went from the Bluecoats to VK to SCV to BK; Jeff Prosperie went from Bridgemen to Star to Regiment. So, how about them apples?

This has been going on since well before time began. Jeff Queen, for example went from the Bluecoats to VK to SCV to BK; Jeff Prosperie went from Bridgemen to Star to Regiment. So, how about them apples?

Nope. This wasn't the norm in the 70's & 80's when many Corps had 50%+ retention. Queen & Prosperie were Corps hoppers.