MADISON SCOUTS 2016

I will simply, briefly, take this time to note that the song I recall him harping on the lack of the most (King Herod's Song), is, IMO (having watched the Jewison film adaptation that this particular Scouts show seems to be riffing on a couple months ago)...the worst song in the show.

Musically, it's completely out of place with everything that comes before it and everything that goes after it. Tonally, it goes in a very different direction humor-wise than the rest of the show, as well, to its detriment.

Most of the humor of the show comes from the lyrics (let us now pause to note that Lloyd Webber's only written one great show without Tim Rice, and Tim Rice has written far more great shows without Lloyd Webber). See: "Heaven on Their Minds"...

Nazareth, your famous son
Should have stayed a great unknown

Like his father carving wood

He'd have made good.

Tables, chairs, and oaken chests

Would have suited Jesus best

He'd have caused nobody harm

No one alarm

...and "Superstar"...

You'd have managed better

If you'd had it planned

Now why'd you choose such a backward time

In such a strange land?

If you'd come today

You could have reached the whole nation

Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication

And those songs both appear in this show. "King Herod's Song," on the other hand, is Dixieland jazz played for slapstick. In the Jewison, it's completely inconsistent visually (the use of color, makeup, costuming, etc.), musically, tonally...it just doesn't fit. Which makes sense, given that the music underneath was a leftover from a failed show.

I'd also argue that JCS adopts Judas's point of view, even though it has Jesus's name in the title.

All in all, focusing the story from Judas's point of view isn't just a reasonable adaptive choice...it's the one Lloyd Webber and Rice had already adopted.

Now, there are almost certainly other issues with the show as well--I haven't seen Madison live yet (Allentown next weekend), but I'll believe people who have when they say that it's poorly staged and doesn't do a good job of visually distinguishing Judas from the rest of the guard. And I'll also believe others who have issues with it because it isn't as good (to them) as '99 (which they've been listening to for 17 years now). I vaguely recall a similar debate (in the stands, at least) when SCV decided to do "Ballet for Martha" 22 years after Garfield '87.

But, all in all, the initial premise is not as completely flawed as some people here tend to believe. And for those of us who weren't around for '99 (my first show wasn't until '05), getting to see Madison do a JCS adaptation seems like fun.

I'll likely have more thoughts on this once I see it live.

(Likely important caveat: I liked the Scouts '14 show better than the '15 show...so I may not be the best judge.)

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 1

Wow. LOL. I was so glad Mason left after 2014. That show was a disaster.

Eh...it was flawed, but I wouldn't say it was a disaster.

Mostly, I just really like Don Ellis and it'd been a while since there was Don Ellis in drum corps. And I appreciated having a show end on a completely alone Madison screamer in one corner...one of the more gutsy design decisions I've seen. Overall, of the Mason years, that show's clearly fifth...but it's not far behind 2012. (The best of those shows being 2013, then probably 2011.)

And I'm not that much of a fan of Gene Kelly in general (respect and appreciate the work he did, just not my favorite thing), so leaning hard on him was kinda a non-starter for me.

Eh...it was flawed, but I wouldn't say it was a disaster.

Mostly, I just really like Don Ellis and it'd been a while since there was Don Ellis in drum corps. And I appreciated having a show end on a completely alone Madison screamer in one corner...one of the more gutsy design decisions I've seen. Overall, of the Mason years, that show's clearly fifth...but it's not far behind 2012. (The best of those shows being 2013, then probably 2011.)

And I'm not that much of a fan of Gene Kelly in general (respect and appreciate the work he did, just not my favorite thing), so leaning hard on him was kinda a non-starter for me.

It was a disaster in terms of a total lack of demand that left them in the dust come finals night. I knew when I first saw it that show was going no where. So unfortunate, because with that book it could have really been something.

It was a disaster in terms of a total lack of demand that left them in the dust come finals night. I knew when I first saw it that show was going no where. So unfortunate, because with that book it could have really been something.

Fair enough. And the results certainly don't disagree with you.

I just liked hearing Don Ellis more than the random assortment of Gene Kelly things.

Better uniforms in '15, though. By far.

And part of it may be that I had Fan Network for '14 (and thus got way more reads on it) and didn't in '15 (and thus didn't).

*shrug*

• Like 1

After watching the Scouts last night I will admit that the content and demand is there to be a top 8 corps at finals. I actually like this show. I will admit that there is still a lot of polishing that needs to be done between now and Indy. And I believe it will because I know the past few years they start pulling pretty much "all nighters" to polish going into finals.

DCP Administrator - Please continue to check other threads concerning disrespectful posts. I would hope that DCP is a place to post "positive" comments and uplift various corps and its members. It has been quite discouraging reading some of the attacks this year.