Digital Video Rights Issues Continue - Music For All Joins The List

How recent is all this? I couldn't figure out why I could no longer find some shows that I had wanted to let the wife see...I guess this is why. is it summarized anywhere?

It seems to have started late last fall. Use DCP's search function for "Tresona" (a music license company which is generally understood here to be the one causing so much heartache, although neither DCI nor MfA has publically confirmed it), and that should lead you to various threads about this issue.

Tresona is very likely the devil. :devil: (wish there was a more evil looking devil)

It is going to kill our activity, either through astronomical copyright fees or through destroying the history of the activity.

I'm a high school band director who saw our copyright fees go from < $700 last season to > $2200 this season. This is unsustainable for most groups. And now that they are the managing firm for ALL copyright requests, they can determine (read: assure) that copyright fees ascend to whatever price point they deem to be acceptable to them.

...agree this sux...so, in the meantime while the fight goes on, public domain. Plenty of material...and, of course, those who write original music would be a resource...

no?

Which brings up a question I have Charlie. How does one protect (copyright) original music without getting sucked into the black hole that this mess has become?

...agree this sux...so, in the meantime while the fight goes on, public domain. Plenty of material...and, of course, those who write original music would be a resource...

no?

Exactly.

Time to play hardball. If the terms Tresona dictates are really that onerous, then DCI should require all corps to stick to public domain and/or original music exclusively.

why is this on here, it's marching band, who even cares?

Mods !!!!

It's relevant and directly related to what DCI just experienced for the 2015 season, which had to be a huge loss of revenue for them. Drum corps fans need to know what forces are pushing on our activity, and not in a good way.

"Who even cares?"

You should care, and we all should care. This severe legal challenge to music rights drastically affects our enjoyment of the drum corps activity. It has significantly severed the ties to our musical heritage.

Edited by wvu80

Which brings up a question I have Charlie. How does one protect (copyright) original music without getting sucked into the black hole that this mess has become?

Don't play anything except original music. Or pay to license someone else's work. Seriously, those are your two options.

Pure speculation here, but I would not be surprised if one of the issues involves the number of bootlegged videos on YT. If I were a licensor I would want DCI to do a much better job hunting for and working to have YT take down unauthorized video or audio. Some people (specifically those with low disposable income) are perfectly happy watching DCI on YT instead of paying for FN or DVDs/Blu-Rays. That practice brings in absolutely no money to DCI, the licensing company, or the original artists. And it also devalues the copyrighted work.

My guess--and it's only a guess--is that when we do finally get FN or other videos, we're going to paying through the nose. There are too many stakeholders who each want their "cut." And with the shift in mainstream music away from physical media to streaming, which generally results in less income for artists, they're looking to squeeze more juice out of sources with deeper pockets than the average Joe.

If Bill Cook were still alive, I wonder if this copyright issue would be a problem that would go away, or if it would still be an issue...he was such a lifesaver for DCI over the years financially in more ways than we all probably know. With his business savvy, I imagine he would have been able to work out a solution for all involved...

Pure speculation here, but I would not be surprised if one of the issues involves the number of bootlegged videos on YT. If I were a licensor I would want DCI to do a much better job hunting for and working to have YT take down unauthorized video or audio. Some people (specifically those with low disposable income) are perfectly happy watching DCI on YT instead of paying for FN or DVDs/Blu-Rays. That practice brings in absolutely no money to DCI, the licensing company, or the original artists. And it also devalues the copyrighted work.

Funny that more and more people are relying on those youtube videos now because of this mess. . .