Spirit of Atlanta

Deleted.

Edited by gabe211

All DCI fans who would like to see Spirit of Atlanta survive should go donate immediately at www.soaaa.org. It is the Spirit of Atlanta Alumni Association, and you don't have to be an alumni to donate... You can set up a recurring donation. The BoD is currently restructuring, and changes are definitely happening for the future existence of the corps. Don't believe me? Go to read it for yourself on the Facebook page for Spirit... https://m.facebook.com/spiritdrumcorps

Please, if you care at all that Spirit survive this next year, donate... Most companies match, so please explore that option.

This alumni movement is unreal, and DCI is 100% behind these changes... We will be back!!!

I happened to see it posted on FB by Spirit. I guess I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I figure somebody would have beat me to it.

Jeff Nelson certainly seems like the right man for the job even if it is an interim basis. I know nothing about him personally but his resume in the release is impressive.

Not to mention he was a great pitcher....oh....never mind. :tounge2:

nelson.jpg

• Like 1

Those items are expensive... If you are asking if Spirit is in a bind again are you donating or just asking? I'm asking you because I don't know if you currently donate, or not... Take no offense... You may not be privy to the current alumni movement to save the corps for next year, but the need is for future years to come. Go read the post on what was recently set up...

Edited by jsualumnus

I think as with most corps, save a few of them, money is always an issue. However, what they are doing now, building a base of individuals who can set up a recurring monthly donation of $20 (more if possible, and any amount is good) to build for the future. They are planning on investing money into an interest bearing account, setting aside 10% as an emergency fund and down the road, being able to have a very secure financial model.

When you think about it, makes sense as $20 a month is not much at all...

• Like 1

Though only second hand knowledge, I was told that just after the end of the 2013 season, the corps was out of debt for the first time in decades. My source was in a position to know that as fact. I have no reason to doubt his honesty.

I would have to know much more about why they need money before I would donate.

• Like 2

Well judging from the events of the past week or so I would venture to guess poor/mismanagment........but it seems as if the new chair is well qualified and has implimented one of many plans to get things going not only for next season but long term. If anything I would be happy that the previous chairman of the BoD has been replaced.

The simple answer to how the corps got into this situation is a board chairperson who spent way beyond the corps's means.

The simple answer to why the corps is now a good thing to donate to is that after much effort, that person is no longer on the board, and there is a new, RESPONSIBLE person heading up the organization. That person has a good plan (and a LOT of alumni support) to right the fiscal ship, take care of the old debts that he inherited, and hopefully put the corps in position to prosper long into the future.

Edited by oldsoprano

Though only second hand knowledge, I was told that just after the end of the 2013 season, the corps was out of debt for the first time in decades. My source was in a position to know that as fact. I have no reason to doubt his honesty.

I would have to know much more about why they need money before I would donate.

Additional information:

Our goal:

* To be the most well run support group of any Alumni Association in the activity!!

* To be a positive force for the organization by tangible contributions!!

* To make a difference!!

* To establish financial stability ensuring longevity.

* 100% transparency!!

How do we accomplish this?

Simple…we pool all our money together such that we collectively have more bang for the buck.

Many of you commented on how convenient it would be if there were an option to have a recurring monthly donation. Many of us simply cannot afford a couple of hundred dollars in one pop…We heard you!! It makes sense too...for many of us, this option just simply works better based on our current state of finances.

This money goes straight to Spirit of Atlanta… It helps Jeff and the board as they begin the process of restructuring. It helps offset debt. Bottom line – IT HELPS NOW!!

But, we did not stop there…it gets better!

Looking into the future at how we can always be there, and not just in times such as these. Looking at how can we actually help prevent future issues, in addition to fulfilling our mission of being the most well run, transparent and supportive group in the activity. We see additional value we can add…and it packs a punch!!

Future function of The Delta Group!:

1) 20% of the quarterly donation is invested into an interest bearing account. Overtime this account will grow. Imagine if we did this 10 years ago?! Imagine where it will in 10 years!!

a. Quarterly statements will be provided via Delta Group fb page.

2) 10% of the quarterly donation will be held in reserve for the purpose of:

a. To be used as an emergency fund.

b. To pay for any bank/transaction associated fees.

c. The percentage shall be adjusted lower as it makes sense to do so.

3) The account has oversight from board members on the SoAAA.

a. The SoAAA will work closely with the Friends of Spirit BoD.

b. Regular updates will be provided to you, and will available upon request.

4) A new Facebook group will be created called The Delta Group!.

a. This will not be exclusive to alumni only.

b. Anyone who cares to support SoA is welcome.

5) Whenever the corps is in need of assistance, they provide their list to the SoAA and it is posted on The Delta Group! Facebook page.

a. If funds are limited, we will vote and agree prior to taking action.

b. NOW, you not only know WHERE your money is going, but YOU have a say.

c. Best of all, no more mid-tour pleas for help from the road…It’s ALREADY COVERED!! No more, having to scramble on a late Saturday and figure out how much money can you send within the next 24 hours…It’s ALREADY COVERED!!

d. The Emergency fund shall be used in cases of unforeseen needs. (Equipment breakdown, medical issues, etc.)

6) As the group grows, we can expand what we do and extend it to the members: scholarships, age out awards, catered food while on the road, etc.