Spirit of Atlanta

I came too late to ever meet Jim Ott, but Freddy was a joy to be around and I loved it when we made him smile. Great guy.

This "literally" just happened...as in it was announced less than 1 hour ago! And, this is huge!

Edited by JKT90

This "literally" just happened...as in it was announced less than 1 hour ago! And, this is huge!

I happened to see it posted on FB by Spirit. I guess I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I figure somebody would have beat me to it.

Jeff Nelson certainly seems like the right man for the job even if it is an interim basis. I know nothing about him personally but his resume in the release is impressive.

I happened to see it posted on FB by Spirit. I guess I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I figure somebody would have beat me to it.

Jeff Nelson certainly seems like the right man for the job even if it is an interim basis. I know nothing about him personally but his resume in the release is impressive.

He's interim because the bylaws state when voting is to take place...(as I understand it) I was going to post something as soon as I found out it was official, but you beat me to it. In addition to this, the alumni have come out in droves in support, and putting their $$ where their mouth is. We are about to see a very different organization in the near future...and it is well past time for it.

He's interim because the bylaws state when voting is to take place...(as I understand it) I was going to post something as soon as I found out it was official, but you beat me to it. In addition to this, the alumni have come out in droves in support, and putting their $$ where their mouth is. We are about to see a very different organization in the near future...and it is well past time for it.

It good to hear that. looks like they are in solid hands. I definitely don't want to see happen to them what happened to my own corps.

Good luck to Spirit. I hope this is part of a change that propels them back into Finals and beyond.

Somehow I had never realized, before reading a recent post here, that Spirit was just 0.8 from the first place Blue Devils in the 1980 Finals, when they placed fourth. (It was nearly a decade after that before I first heard of drum corps.) The second- and third-place finishers, 27th Lancers and Bridgemen, no longer exist. Just knowing that Spirit has persisted is heart-warming, but oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if they could start climbing the ranks back to the elite.

• Like 1

Ka-Ching $$$$$

• Like 1

Well, if the new guy has a clue at all, he will reach out to that group that pulled off the 2011- 2013 miracles. Not necessarily to re-hire them, etc., but to nform himself as to the insights, strategies they employed to get the corps back into finals, and to stay there, to gain a fan base, to deal with dis-unified alumni, to keep their staff in place for three + years, to deal with an incomplete and weak board. Too much at stake to not be completely informed. Too much at stake to not cover all basis. Too much at stake to not be humble and open. Here's hoping this person in charge isn't simply looking of for a toy to play with, but one who gets that this is not a backyard, throw-together, merely keep-kids-off-the-street, mid-life crisis hobby.

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 1