Spirit of Atlanta

I'm rooting for you Spirit! And signing up for the recurring $20 monthly donation was easy. I'm glad I did it & I encourage fans to vote with their wallet too.

Harvey

Very cool, Harvey!!! Thank you very much for doing that! This has all been very emotional, and the love that other corps have given Spirit is unreal. DCI has also been very supportive of what we are all doing... When I say "we" I speak of alumni in general, but I am just a itty bitty alum who cares for my corps.

• Like 1

I'm rooting for you Spirit! And signing up for the recurring $20 monthly donation was easy. I'm glad I did it & I encourage fans to vote with their wallet too.

Harvey

Harvey -

As a representative of the Alumni Association I want to say THANK YOU! You should receive an email stating that you have set up an Automatic Payment. For anyone wanting to join, make sure the "make this recurring" is checked, on the review page, before completing the transaction, make sure that box is still checked...for some reason on the check out page, the recurring box is unchecked, just recheck it and hit submit.

I can assure you, the corps is in EXCELLENT hands, and making some strides of which I have never seen. So, thank you...and PLEASE CONSIDER helping, no amount is too small.

Regards,

Keith

• Like 1

I wish I could be convinced all is well or heading in that direction before I obligate myself. I am not an alumni, just a fan which makes me an outsider. Hopefully by the holidays they will release something a little more concrete.

It's really chicken & the egg. I have no allegiance to Spirit (in fact, Regiment gets most of my love and support). But - I do know if we all sit on the sidelines and wait to see what happens, the corps will miss the very support needed to move forward. I for one am tired of losing World Class Corps - especially those with a heritage & tradition like SOA.

Harvey

• Like 2

I wish I could be convinced all is well or heading in that direction before I obligate myself. I am not an alumni, just a fan which makes me an outsider. Hopefully by the holidays they will release something a little more concrete.

I know several alums of SOA, one who is in a particular position to know and do something about things. This person dedicated money to Spirit when all logic said they shouldn't. This isn't about logic though... it's about passion, loyalty, and family. My wife and I set aside a percentage of our income every year to donate to charity, and now every penny of that I can spare will be going to SOA. There aren't many activities left that instill the positive traits in youth that drum corps does. When Little League teams cheat to win and high schools illegally recruit football players to win 1 or 2 extra games, I look to support anything that will help kids learn about hard work, dedication, perseverance, and loyalty.

• Like 3

So my question is why stop at spirit? Why not help other corps you wouldn't? Souvies, donations for gas, or help a member march? Most people only care abut a group when it's abut to fold or if they are G7 (since several have fallen out of top 6)

Many years ago, before I had children to soak up all my income, I donated $500 to BD, just because I was a fan. I have donated to Friends of DCI twice as well. I just don't have the same income anymore and I have a LOT more expenses, so it's easy to justify focusing what I can give locally, in one place.

Mind you, my family tithes, which means 10% of our income goes to the church and other charities. We as a nation only donate to charity at a 3% rate, so I think I'm doing pretty good. :satisfied:

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have, to the best of my ability, and as forthcoming as I can be in an internet forum.

As of last count this AM, The Delta Group has 49 members who have joined, mostly since Monday. We have Harvey here, and his name is on the sight as a Delta Group member!! Many of the recurring $$ is greater than the $20.00, which is awesome. However, literally, no amount it too small, and the Alumni Association is a 501c3 Non profit...so there's the tax benefit angle too.

www.soaaa.org

#jointhemovement

Keith

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 1

Early in the season one of the Admin staff did a LOT of fund raising on the Spirit FB pages -- and she was VERY good at it. Some of it was just general stuff -- fuel, food, Gatorade -- that every Corps could use more of. And there were some specific items on the wish list -- plastic tubs for the souvie booth, some sheer fabric for the Guard (used near the end of the show), walkie-talkies for the staff, etc.

At the time (and I still think this currently), this was NOT a plea for "send us $$$ or we won't finish the season". These were (IMO) items that we've wanted for a while and if we can get them donated, that would be awesome. And the families, friends, and alums stepped up.

This sounds pretty standard corps operations to me. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. I do wish Spirit well!

• Like 1