Spirit of Atlanta

Okay, this just helped me to decide where I'm writing the first check after I win the lottery. I'll just bankroll a new board. :xmas:

• Like 1

You are right bill, however that doesn't happen in this case. The BOD will not stand up to, when they did in at the end of 2013, she did what she wanted and hired who she wanted, JW. She is on the road 99% of the time, leaving her in control on everything.

By-laws should offer (in writing) what authority (i.e. duties) each executive officer has; if they are ambiguous---there lies the issue in any organization; otherwise it's akin to chasing feathers in the wind, a lot of flailing action with no results. Nothing will change in any organization if procedures and protocols are not followed in some constructive fashion. At some time or another, someone has to "grow a set"

One thing should be noted; if any member of any BOD has their personal name (on the line) in the form of contractual obligations (financial or otherwise)---then one could appreciate a vested interest in the running of any organization; although one would hope that vested interest would be passive in nature and the organization has a guarantee to hold the person from harm by assignment of collateral or a surety bond of sorts---as a peace of mind.

• Like 2

When a person has financially placed themselves in that matter and did it on purpose to show power and make themselves high authority, what are you to do with said person?

Many times it depends on what is exactly written within the edges of the contractual piece(s) of paper. If an organization, or any corporation for that matter, has a contractual financial agreement (i.e.loan) and the terms of the contract are being met--there should not be any issue. The holder of "the paper" only has one concern, that being---are the terms being met.

I have never seen a bank teller, bank auditor, bank officer, etc. flippin' burgers or asking "would you like fries with that?" at the local McDonald's just because the franchisee had a loan with their financial institution.

This is not directed to any organization or business per sie, but rather simply a general statement in how to properly conduct business in a professional fashion. At sometime, someone has to put their "big boy" pants on if they have failed to do so from the onset.

• Like 2

Many times it depends on what is exactly written within the edges of the contractual piece(s) of paper. If an organization, or any corporation for that matter, has a contractual financial agreement (i.e.loan) and the terms of the contract are being met--there should not be any issue. The holder of "the paper" only has one concern, that being---are the terms being met.

I have never seen a bank teller, bank auditor, bank officer, etc. flippin' burgers or asking "would you like fries with that?" at the local McDonald's just because the franchisee had a loan with their financial institution.

This is not directed to any organization or business per sie, but rather simply a general statement in how to properly conduct business in a professional fashion. At sometime, someone has to put their "big boy" pants on if they have failed to do so from the onset.

How DARE you speak reasonably, and with sense!!!!! That will be ten lashes (plus accrued interest) for you, Sir!!

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

From things read on the alumni page when it went down was BOD let money be used on electronics and such but didn't have a way to make the money back since the bingo hall was closed. Then they hid the problems of the debt from the people and let people audition to then say we are bankrupt. The BOD would not communicate with alumni. I did not once get any news talking about the debt until someone posted saying the corps is folding. So Spirit alums knowing is a good start on keeping them alive next season. Also, once the Glassmen BOD were replaced the new ones that were supposed to fix things also weren't transparent. Alumni said they won't donate until they know what their money was going towards. Those same alumni are the ones trying to bring the corps back under the Glassmen Alumni Association

Even before all of that, the Bingo essentially was not making any money for the 3 full years before the issues surfaced. Outside of lack of transparency at the end, etc. The root issue is that the people in change on all ends failed to have any plan of replacing that lost income and let it continue for more than 2 seasons.

The bottom line is nobody tried to do anything until it was too late. If Spirit happens to have similar issues starting to arise, it's in everyone's interests to speak up now before it is too late and a hole has been dug that is so big you can never find your way out of it.

I can remember when I first heard of Spirit of Atlanta. DCN and DCW (the days of multiple publications) were both on sale at CYO Nationals and the big news was a new corps that would probably make finals, the first time, a first for a new corps. This was 1977. It didn't happen and wouldn't till Star, but the drum corps community was abuzz. When they did make finals 8th in prelims, 6th in finals, it was only a matter of time till they won, and while the highest they placed was 4th, in 1980 they were within a point of 1st place. 1980 was Jim Ott's passing.

Since 1980, the criticism was Spirit is no longer Spirit. Yes they had some excellent shows, and a famous miss (Petroushka) which I did not think was as much of a miss as others did. The JSU days followed, then the 200'0's, and 2011, 2012, 2013 finals performances and recent years.

I see Sprit not having an identity, but identities that are somewhat closely related. I'm also not certain Jim Ott and the first staff of Spirit wanted a southern style as much as a strong brass sound and a southern style allowed this to happen. So my hope for Spirit as they move forward is recapturing that magical and powerful brass sound. If southern music makes this happen, great, but 2011-2013 were not particularly southern, at least in my opinion, but they worked.

I can remember when I first heard of Spirit of Atlanta. DCN and DCW (the days of multiple publications) were both on sale at CYO Nationals and the big news was a new corps that would probably make finals, the first time, a first for a new corps. This was 1977. It didn't happen and wouldn't till Star, but the drum corps community was abuzz. When they did make finals 8th in prelims, 6th in finals, it was only a matter of time till they won, and while the highest they placed was 4th, in 1980 they were within a point of 1st place. 1980 was Jim Ott's passing.

Since 1980, the criticism was Spirit is no longer Spirit. Yes they had some excellent shows, and a famous miss (Petroushka) which I did not think was as much of a miss as others did. The JSU days followed, then the 200'0's, and 2011, 2012, 2013 finals performances and recent years.

I see Sprit not having an identity, but identities that are somewhat closely related. I'm also not certain Jim Ott and the first staff of Spirit wanted a southern style as much as a strong brass sound and a southern style allowed this to happen. So my hope for Spirit as they move forward is recapturing that magical and powerful brass sound. If southern music makes this happen, great, but 2011-2013 were not particularly southern, at least in my opinion, but they worked.

If you've never read the stories of Spirit's "birth", go find them and read them. IMHO, what made Spirit "Spirit" was Freddy Martin and Jim Ott. Freddy was the engineer and Jim was the engine. Everyone who played under Jim will tell you they would have gone to the brink of death to play for him, to make him happy about their performance. In a way, what Spirit was meant to be, what it looked like it was going to be, died that day with Jim. The future, the identity of the corps even, was ripped away from them very cruelly. Freddy managed to rewrite their identity and had some very good success in the 80's, but the momentum that was there from 1978 until July 8, 1980 went away and was never to return.