The Cavaliers 2016

So Democrat/Liberal politicians' comments aren't propaganda? Every political speech is propaganda. It can be subtle or blatant, but It is being uttered to change your mind or direct your thoughts somehow.

The rest of this post deals with the faulty show design.

I'm not sure the Cavaliers designers know what propaganda is. The selected speech clips are just wrong-- why play clips of the good guys in a show negatively titled Propaganda?

Didn't we cover this a couple of months ago? In fact I pointed out while propaganda has been used for thousands of years, the first use of the word was by the church in converting "the savages" to Catholicism.

Edited by DAvery

In its strictest definition, neither "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall" nor "We will build a wall" is truly propaganda. The first is merely an exhortation, and the other is merely a statement of intention. Neither is presenting information or disinformation in order to sway opinion, and should really only be deemed propaganda if we expand the definition to include virtually all political speech and discussion. The following are better examples of propaganda - spreading disinformation/information to influence:

Donald Trump: "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."

Baghdad Bob: "They're not even within 100 miles of Baghdad. They are not in any place."

George Bush: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa"

Joseph Goebbels: "No one can doubt that the warmongering cliques in London and Paris want to stifle Germany, to destroy the German people. "

John F. Kennedy: "We have vowed that we shall not see space filled with weapons of mass destruction, but with instruments of knowledge and understanding, yet the vows of this nation can only be fulfilled if we in this nation are first, and, therefore, we intend to be first."

Boris Johnson: “Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically. The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods."

Lyndon Johnson: "If we are driven from the field in Viet-Nam, then no nation can ever again have the same confidence in American promise, or in American protection. In each land the forces of independence would be considerably weakened, and an Asia so threatened by Communist domination would certainly imperil the security of the United States itself."

(PS - this is not an attack on their show - I just like discussing historical propaganda and it's a lazy Saturday morning for me)

Edited by Eleran

In its strictest definition, neither "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall" nor "We will build a wall" is truly propaganda. The first is merely an exhortation, and the other is merely a statement of intention. Neither is presenting information or disinformation in order to sway opinion, and should really only be deemed propaganda if we expand the definition to include virtually all political speech and discussion. The following are better examples of propaganda - spreading disinformation/information to influence:

Well, Trump's statement is certainly meant to sway voters. Implicit in it is an assumption: "If you elect me, we will build a wall".

(I'm stunned by the quote from the probable future English (probably not British) PM Boris Johnson. That's hideous. One huge reason the EU was formed was to prevent war between its members--which had happened pretty frequently before that--and in that regard, it appears to have been successful.)

In its strictest definition, neither "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall" nor "We will build a wall" is truly propaganda.

In it's original context, that is possible. But what about the context it is used in the show? The combination of these two statements presented in this way could be construed as propaganda, by the Cavaliers (or anyone else that has used these two quotes in a similar way).

• Like 1

Please email any concerns/ideas/advice to the Corps Design and Administration teams. I'm sure they will be happy to hear your suggestions for improvement. You have a very nice drum corps.

:exclamation:

• Like 1