The Cavaliers 2016

From what I understand the electronics are all set up for the big stadiums (regionals/denver/Indy). Went to a few rehearsals and there was huge emphasis on making sure they were heard. This show is very complex electronically and would be very hard to continually adjust depending on the venue. Not ideal, but definitly understand the reasoning. It was amazing watching the process. They would run section after section trying different volumes. Very impressive.

That's what I figured, but we were in San Antonio, which is one of those big venues. We were likely too close to the speakers though (row 3). It's just that their setup was much louder longer than any other corps that night; BD was second, but not ear drum shattering.

I haven't heard anyone else complain on here, so there's that.

Edited by jjeffeory

They KILLED it tonight. HUGE crowd reaction. Some FANTASTIC changes too, they milked the ending a little more, and I think the best change I've seen to a show this year was clearing up the soundscape so we can hear the singing in the ballad more, so much clearer there now. Fantastic change.

• Like 2

Just give me a couple of hours with their trumpet section....

Just give me a couple of hours with their trumpet section....

Would you rip off their third valves or tape them shut first?

• Like 1

Would you rip off their third valves or tape them shut first?

That's funny -- but I would do neither one of those things. The Cavaliers have some "pinchy" moments in the high brass and there are some breathing techniques which put more "core" in the sound. It's a lead trumpet thing we all learn eventually.

That's funny -- but I would do neither one of those things. The Cavaliers have some "pinchy" moments in the high brass and there are some breathing techniques which put more "core" in the sound. It's a lead trumpet thing we all learn eventually.

I played Tuba/Comtra and I don't think I could help those guys. They sound great!

But yeah that's kind of the trumpet sound we've had for years.

• Like 1

I played Tuba/Comtra and I don't think I could help those guys. They sound great!

But yeah that's kind of the trumpet sound we've had for years.

The Cavaliers' low brass is amazing in 2016; I couldn't agree more. As for the "pinchy" trumpet sound in the high register it comes down to three factors: (1) Compressing the air you take in, (2) equipment, and (3) the brass arrangement. Let's eliminate factor #2 as the brass instruments The Cavaliers use are fantastic. I think factors #1 and #3 are in play here. I know if I take a lot of air in, compress it, then let it out, I get a better sound in the high register than if I just take in a lot of air and let it out any way it wants to come out. The arrangement usually contributes, too, and I'm more of a fan of "split lead" parts where trumpets play in octaves to increase the resonance of the higher tones.

The Cavaliers' low brass is amazing in 2016; I couldn't agree more. As for the "pinchy" trumpet sound in the high register it comes down to three factors: (1) Compressing the air you take in, (2) equipment, and (3) the brass arrangement. Let's eliminate factor #2 as the brass instruments The Cavaliers use are fantastic. I think factors #1 and #3 are in play here. I know if I take a lot of air in, compress it, then let it out, I get a better sound in the high register than if I just take in a lot of air and let it out any way it wants to come out. The arrangement usually contributes, too, and I'm more of a fan of "split lead" parts where trumpets play in octaves to increase the resonance of the higher tones.

The Cavies have always had a thin sound to their hornline due to their brass arrangements. I've never been a fan of that type of sound, but it works for them.

I'm really hoping the design staff has a few surprises for us in the next few weeks. While there have been few minor tweaks musically and visually the ending has been changed, there has not been much else. If the creative minds could come up with this show hopefully there's more in the works to take it over the top. I believe they have 5 full rehearsal days before Indy.