Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

With how adventurous they've been with electronics, kinda surprises me they haven't been with instrumentation. Looking forward to see how they push the envelope this year! :)

Any word how things are going up in Canton?

Considering how adventurous they've been with electronics, I'm surprised they think they need trombones.

I remember seeing a video where Doug Thrower said something along the lines of electronics giving him a bunch of new "colors of sound" to work with. That makes sense, and I think they've been doing some remarkable things. But trombones seem like just a slightly different shade of a color they already have.

Edited by losnickes

Considering how adventurous they've been with electronics, I'm surprised they think they need trombones.

I remember seeing a video where Doug Thrower said something along the lines of electronics giving him a bunch of new "colors of sound" to work with. That makes sense, and I think they've been doing some remarkable things. But trombones seem like just a slightly different shade of a color they already have.

I don't think they're just going to use them to use them, just like I don't think they're using electronics to use them.

As long as they're well integrated, add something, and sound great, I'm all for just about anything personally. Except maybe woodwinds.

Also, I brought this up in the predictions thread, but I think a real unsung hero this past season was the color guard. I think they really deserve a lot of credit for the corps ending up where they did, they were incredibly solid and really added a lot more than I originally noticed during the season. They were only 2 - 3 tenths off the 2nd place guard each night of championships, and we all know how GOOD those two were. I think I was so caught up in things in other parts of the show that this kidna slid by me. They added some really cool stuff, love the equipment work with the half circle metal pieces at the beggining of the show, they really reflected what was going on musically there. Also, the silk change towards the end of the front half of the show to the blue, orange, yellow flags and that unison work there to the end of that section was outstanding, at least to my eye. Dance stuff in the ballad was really cool stuff too, at least to me.

They really overcame being a big weakness in previous seasons into an asset that really, placed just as well as the other two sections of the corps in championships and no doubt, paired with their outstanding visual ensemble performance, propelled them into a razor thin 3rd place finish.

Can't wait to see what those ladies and gentlemen are spinning in 2016. :smile:

The only missing component for the Bluecoats in the last two years has been in the design category: depth of concept. Symbolism isn't enough. There must be an underlying theme with an observation about a universal human truth, or at very least a recurring pattern that heightens for dramatic effect. Standing on top of your prop or jumping off of it isn't enough for an ending. The ending should be a culmination of the thematic set pieces that preceded it.

2015 BD: Children can teach us to listen to stories again.

2015 Crown: Dante endured the seven circles of hell to free the soul of Beatrice.

2015 Bluecoats: Visualizing sound theory.

2014 BD: Fellini's scenes reveal his character as an anti-establishment artist.

2014 Bluecoats: Things tilt.

Edited by Channel3

The only missing component for the Bluecoats in the last two years has been in the design category: depth of meaning. Symbolism isn't enough. There must be an underlying theme with an observation about a universal human truth, or at very least a recurring pattern that heightens for dramatic effect. Standing on top of your prop or jumping off of it isn't enough for an ending. The ending should be a culmination of the thematic set pieces that preceded it.

2015 Crown: Dante endured the seven circles of hell to free the soul of Beatrice.

This again? From the person that accuses people of having a templated approach to what they post on DCP?

4290112148_7365c444e6_z.jpg

• Like 1

The only missing component for the Bluecoats in the last two years has been in the design category: depth of meaning. Symbolism isn't enough. There must be an underlying theme with an observation about a universal human truth, or at very least a recurring pattern that heightens for dramatic effect. Standing on top of your prop or jumping off of it isn't enough for an ending. The ending should be a culmination of the thematic set pieces that preceded it.

Another week (2015) and I'm convinced you could have seen the Coats catch up with Crown. They hands down had the fan favorite show in 2014, also beating out the Cadets and their "meaningful" show. Right now, I think the Bluecoats are 100% on the right track. Seems to me that the "only thing missing" is a cleaner show. Edited by Name

This again? From the person that accuses people of having a templated approach to what they post on DCP?

4290112148_7365c444e6_z.jpg

That's what I said when I saw Kinetic Noise. Tell us what you thought the meaning was. Go ahead. We're dying to hear what you thought it was about.

The Bluecoats are the only team seeking to be progressive and try new ideas.

Thats an interesting assessment on the dozens of other DCI teams too. Not sure I'd agree with you, but thats cool and all too.

Edited by BRASSO