Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

Percussion with brass....kinda like drums with bugles. :silly: (just having a little fun)

All opinions are certainly welcome here. I'd invite you to listen to the show again...or a few times.

Not too concerned with it holding up at the end. This corps, as pointed out by Steve Rondinaro at the DCI Preview, has no weakness.

That stands up well throughout the season I think.

Sure hope you get to see it live!

Percussion with brass....kinda like drums with bugles. :silly: (just having a little fun)

All opinions are certainly welcome here. I'd invite you to listen to the show again...or a few times.

Not too concerned with it holding up at the end. This corps, as pointed out by Steve Rondinaro at the DCI Preview, has no weakness.

I love Steve...but really? And I have listened to the show many times. And like I said it is a great show. But the brass is there to create an audio effect and not necessarily there to lead the show. The percussion is what drives this show until the ballad and closer. That's not a bad thing....but it will effect their ability to max out the music caption in the end. And that has been the concern the last couple years.

• Like 1

So your theory is: Reliable Rondo says it, so it must be so?

Awesome. Hope all the judges were filled in on that rule!

Anyway the show looks fun -- can't wait to see it.

Kind of avoided the point the poster raised. Do you think they have a valid point?

A partial point .. I think the opener is a slow build that starts percussion heavy but adds horns bit by bit ... That is the point ... It is a slow burn but gets to full ensemble with a wall of sound. I think it is brilliant. Great Gig is more than a solo, there is small ensemble work, but yes, the rest of the horn line is back-up until the hits. This is something I noticed too, and I honestly wonder if this could be a content hit on the sheets. The closer is just bat #### crazy. No worries there. That's my honest opinion.

A partial point .. I think the opener is a slow build that starts percussion heavy but adds horns bit by bit ... That is the point ... It is a slow burn but gets to full ensemble with a wall of sound. I think it is brilliant. Great Gig is more than a solo, there is small ensemble work, but yes, the rest of the horn line is back-up until the hits. This is something I noticed too, and I honestly wonder if this could be a content hit on the sheets. The closer is just bat #### crazy. No worries there. That's my honest opinion.

I think it's one of those things that opinions will vary greatly on as the season wears on. Music guys with a percussion background will love it. Music guys with a brass background may want to see a more balanced approach. So it's somewhat the luck of the draw.

I agree with you on the opener. And the ballad there is certainly some ensemble work. The closer is a great tune...but there is where they play as a full brass line and where some execution issues crop up. Overall Crown, Cadets and BD all have more challenging brass books and more demanding overall music programs.

I think it's one of those things that opinions will vary greatly on as the season wears on. Music guys with a percussion background will love it. Music guys with a brass background may want to see a more balanced approach. So it's somewhat the luck of the draw.

Oh I am not sure it isn't balanced ... Maybe this is a more balanced approach than what we are used to -- and I am a brass guy. My biggest concern is Great Gig. I think it needs both more brass content and visual content.

Unfortunately music music guys with a percussion background only hear percussion.

Oh I am not sure it isn't balanced ... Maybe this is a more balanced approach than what we are used to -- and I am a brass guy. My biggest concern is Great Gig. I think it needs both more brass content and visual content.

Me neither. I stopped watching Bloo videos -- there's absolutely no point. It's definitely a must-see-live show.

• Like 1