Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

I agree with you on the opener. And the ballad there is certainly some ensemble work. The closer is a great tune...but there is where they play as a full brass line and where some execution issues crop up. Overall Crown, Cadets and BD all have more challenging brass books and more demanding overall music programs.

The closer needs scrubbing, true, but that will come. Crown has a crazy horn book, and their run cluster towards the end of the show also needs serious cleaning. I think you are right about Cadets and Crowns horn demand being higher, but I like the integration of music and visual with Bloo better at this point. So will balance prevail over sections? You got me.

• Like 1

How long is the Bluecoats show this year?

So, from the past few pages of discussion on here, I've seen that Bloo is going to get gold or silver without a doubt, and BD will be lucky to get bronze.

Really interesting.

It's funny because I do actually say stuff to my non drum corps friends like this as a Bluecoats homer and they are always like "oh yeah but what about the blue devils... Don't they always get 1st or second...?" (They know this from my 15 years of telling them about DCI) And I'm like "oh yeah.. Well they are out west so we Bluecoats don't have to worry about them yet"

• Like 1

It's funny because I do actually say stuff to my non drum corps friends like this as a Bluecoats homer and they are always like "oh yeah but what about the blue devils... Don't they always get 1st or second...?" (They know this from my 15 years of telling them about DCI) And I'm like "oh yeah.. Well they are out west so we Bluecoats don't have to worry about them yet"

I wish they would come east for the start of the season sometime. But as it is, I am pouty that Madison is out west.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

I wish they would come east for the start of the season sometime. But as it is, I am pouty that Madison is out west.

I love Madison out west!

don't know if anyone has pointed this out but going into the balled the guard take there hair out (kinda neato), not sure what significance this has to there show but i noticed it last night.

don't know if anyone has pointed this out but going into the balled the guard take there hair out (kinda neato), not sure what significance this has to there show but i noticed it last night.

Maybe to commemorate the hair band era that Pink Floyd took place in?

It used a different judging system I believe (tic system), but SCV came out with pretty much the same show in 1988 and 1989. In 1988 they came in 2nd. In 1989, they came in 1st.

Unfortunately there's no such example for a more modern era.

I'm of the opinion that the judges reward what's on the field and compares it to other corps from the same year. Of course, BD would never field the same show in two consecutive years, they would probably lose members for doing such a thing.

Tic system wasn't used in '88. That switch was between '82 to '83. You'll notice the scores from finals increased a lot from '82 to '83.

'88 was build-up for 5 years by that time and the shows were completely different about Cadets' '83 Rocky Point show.

SCV used to used parts of previous years' shows from one year to the next until the year you mentioned. Then the trend for SCV was to use Broadway shows for several years in a row. Bluecoats played Autumn Leaves several years in a row. Cadets played music from American composers for 7 or 8 years. Madison did Latin shows and jazzy shows, et cetera.

The only repeats were like Anniversary shows; Cadets with WSS, Cavaliers with Firebird, Blue Devils with Chick Corea, Boston playing Conquest every year. Freelancers redid Bells, Phantom played Classic music every year; that kinda repeating happened....

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1