Bloooooooooooo! Bluecoats Official 2016 Thread

This is almost approaching a G hornline sound. Kind of nuts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_uio_lxO4

I love how that horn line sounds. Very mature with lots of control.

By the way, that 8 chord clip they were working on, which is one of the first big hits in their show, reminds me so much of a similar passage of music in Godfather III. It's not quite the same, but similar.

• Like 1

Since about last night's show or so, I'm starting to hear some more disappointing comments about the Bluecoats' show. I've been hearing opinions such as the show seems more like a novelty now, there isn't enough demand in this year's books (especially brass and colorguard), the visual program is very repetitive, etc.

Maybe they'll get stuck in this rut for the rest of the season, or maybe they'll improve. But right now, IMO, this is the kind of show that is better appreciated in an indoor setting (i.e. San Antonio, Atlanta, Indy). As a result, I'll hold back my humble opinion of this show until it is seen in one of those settings.

Drum corps is competitive, so of course you're going to hear comments about quality, demand, peaking too soon, not having enough traditional marching, repetitive nature, and blah blah blah. It's what people do. They look for a weakness to exploit to try and make their corps look better.

Unless you've heard and seen this show live you can't really understand the full impact and beauty of this production. The brass and percussion books are plenty difficult. The color guard is almost perfectly woven into the visual program. They simply need to clean. The visual ensemble is stunning, and the GE is off the charts. Do they need to clean. Yes. They are dirty. Do they need a few more visual enhancements. Likely, but more so with movement of the brass and percussion at times and not so much with a redesign of props or a complete change of a portion of the show (as some corps have to deal with right now).

The show was designed for outdoor presentation. Not indoor. You're hearing people spew out myths and jargon that competitive folks usually do when they are looking for a way to convince themselves that their drum corps will beat the corps in question.

I can promise you that the Bluecoats will not peak until the end, that the book is plenty hard, that they will be in the thick of the medal race, that their show is more than just a novelty act (it's highly entertaining and fun and artistic), and that when their brass, percussion, guard and overall marching clean they will have super strong marks in VISUAL and GE.

Does this mean they will go undefeated? No. They will only go undefeated if they deserve it and if the judges see it that way. They have their competition cut out for them. BD and Crown are amazing!!! At this juncture I see Bloo, BD, and Crown as the top 3 in some order. SCV is certainly a contender to jump in there, as are The Cadets with their work ethic and performance quality. So the season should be fun and we should concentrate on enjoying the positives and quality of these amazing corps instead of looking for often-used remarks about peaking, novelty, too easy, too repetitive (go listen to Star 93), etc.

If for some reason people think Bluecoats will fall to 5th or 6th by season's end I have news for you....NO!

• Like 7

Drum corps is competitive, so of course you're going to hear comments about quality, demand, peaking too soon, not having enough traditional marching, repetitive nature, and blah blah blah. It's what people do. They look for a weakness to exploit to try and make their corps look better.

Unless you've heard and seen this show live you can't really understand the full impact and beauty of this production. The brass and percussion books are plenty difficult. The color guard is almost perfectly woven into the visual program. They simply need to clean. The visual ensemble is stunning, and the GE is off the charts. Do they need to clean. Yes. They are dirty. Do they need a few more visual enhancements. Likely, but more so with movement of the brass and percussion at times and not so much with a redesign of props or a complete change of a portion of the show (as some corps have to deal with right now).

The show was designed for outdoor presentation. Not indoor. You're hearing people spew out myths and jargon that competitive folks usually do when they are looking for a way to convince themselves that their drum corps will beat the corps in question.

I can promise you that the Bluecoats will not peak until the end, that the book is plenty hard, that they will be in the thick of the medal race, that their show is more than just a novelty act (it's highly entertaining and fun and artistic), and that when their brass, percussion, guard and overall marching clean they will have super strong marks in VISUAL and GE.

Does this mean they will go undefeated? No. They will only go undefeated if they deserve it and if the judges see it that way. They have their competition cut out for them. BD and Crown are amazing!!! At this juncture I see Bloo, BD, and Crown as the top 3 in some order. SCV is certainly a contender to jump in there, as are The Cadets with their work ethic and performance quality. So the season should be fun and we should concentrate on enjoying the positives and quality of these amazing corps instead of looking for often-used remarks about peaking, novelty, too easy, too repetitive (go listen to Star 93), etc.

If for some reason people think Bluecoats will fall to 5th or 6th by season's end I have news for you....NO!

Thanks God someone finally said it! Well written and to the point.

• Like 2

This is at least the third year in row you’ve been quick to claim Star 93 for Bluecoats, your loyalty and hype is impressive but all shows and corps have things to work on at this time of the season (as shown in the video) - I'm sure everyone will get much better still

• Like 1

I'd just like to point out that at this time last year, everyone was pretty sure Crown was slotted for a 5th place finish (including you I think). And Cadets were a lock for the medals. Almost a DCP consensus.

Unless you're keeping the time machine a secret, no ones really knows how these shows will develop over the course of the season. I think it's pretty unlikely Bluecoats will fall to 5th. But with not even a regional under our belts, I don't think anything's a lock. There are too many really good corps out there.

Personally I think what makes the difference is:

(a) how well (and how quickly) can the corps respond to the tape commentary

(b) how detailed a timeline did the corps develop in the pre-season to plan the development of the show

I think you can actually see those two items in play as the show evolves. Some corps are throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. Some corps seem to release things on their schedule. Some corps know how to get sparkling feet. Some corps are just frantically trying to adjust. Some corps seem to just do their thing and the hell with everyone else.

Unless you're keeping the time machine a secret, no ones really knows how these shows will develop over the course of the season. I think it's pretty unlikely Bluecoats will fall to 5th. But with not even a regional under our belts, I don't think anything's a lock. There are too many really good corps out there.

Thank you and I wish more people on here will realize this. I don't think people truly realize how stupid they sound when they say things like "x corps will peak early because historically..." not even once thinking this is a different group of kids with a different vehicle.

Personally favorite: "x corps is a lock for y placement." There's rooting for your corps and wishful thinking, but saying it's a fact is idiotic. Ask Crown at Finals last year.....