Phantom Regiment returning to King Brass

Will the horns they play really help if the show concept continues in the same manner as the past couple of years?

Maybe it's just me but I found this past summer's show refreshing

• Like 1

I loved Phantom's show this year. But...I think this thread was about their returning to King brass. Good for them if it helps them move forward as an organization. Usually these moves are accompanied by some sort of financial break so I am sure it will probably help them on the financial side as well.

Dan

The King Brass will make a huge difference in their sound. Jupiter's sound is so dead it's not funny. I think the high brass has a little more character, but the low brass (especially the contras) play with the resonance of an old Rubbermaid tub. By contast, the King Ultimate Brass Mellophones are my absolute favorite mellos...

Edited by Lead
  • Like 1

I loved Phantom's show this year. But...I think this thread was about their returning to King brass. Good for them if it helps them move forward as an organization. Usually these moves are accompanied by some sort of financial break so I am sure it will probably help them on the financial side as well.

Dan

I apologize for getting off track.

Back to King brass.

Was that rich sound the result of the instruments, instruction or both? I'm leaning toward instruction.

Is changing suppliers (e.g., brass instruments, percussion instruments, uniform designers) common in the top six or so? I feel like Regiment does it more than others.

(I'm not suggesting that it's a good or a bad thing, but if it's being done for a financial reason, why aren't other corps doing the same thing?)

The King Brass will make a huge difference in their sound. Jupiter's sound is so dead it's not funny. I think the high brass has a little more character, but the low brass (especially the contras) play with the resonance of an old Rubbermaid tub. By contast, the King Ultimate Brass Mellophones are my absolute favorite mellos...

100% concur. The Rubbermaid tubas... I mean Jupiter... are just awful. I love the 1121 Mellophone. I don't even play mello and I can scream out ridiculously high notes and drop pedals like crazy. Seems to me the 1121 Mello is based on an early Zig Kanstul design.

• Like 2

It's not like it's one or the other. :mat:

Mike

Depends on your budget. Could certainly be one or the other

• Like 1

Will the horns they play really help if the show concept continues in the same manner as the past couple of years?

omg it's only september and the negativity is starting already lol.. Cripes stop already and at least wait till their first show.

• Like 1