Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

Yeah, I loved everything about that ballad!

Actually, I love everything about that show in general. Really fun drum line

The tenors. Ohh - the tenors!! All 60 or so of them. Slight exaggeration but #### that was FUN

TOTALLY agree with that. I never saw them live and saw videos, and it wasn't until a few of their designers, fans, and others described the effects. It is definitely not as easy a concept/innovation to grasp onto on video as Star was (though a lot of their exposure musically doesn't "read" as well on video than it did live, IMO).

I personally don't think ANY drum corps show translates that well onto video. You lose so much of the nuance and power. Even with BD and a great video/sound system. This is probably most especially true of more subtle and musically sophisticated programs such as the ones we are discussing.

Tim K, they did medal. Bronze.

Poor wording on my part. I know they medaled, and "did deserve" would have been better wording than "should,'" but I do know Bloo took third

I blame technology. When I wrote everything longhand or on a typewriter, my grammar was more precise and my spelling was near perfect, but I should probably claim xanandi is correct and it's an oversight because I'm busy.

Agreed. Looking back it is one of my most remembered finals

I also LOVED the 12th place corps - COLTS - and their Seasons show. Great soloist and the horn book was FANTASTIC. A very small corps that marched its feet off to find a place in finals!

Cavaliers second place show was very good as well - I just wish they had done a better job limiting / hiding all the flags used throughout the program. Maybe the most sets of flags ever??!! Musically that corps was stellar - especially percussion.

Sky Ryders were 12th in 1991 with their Camelot show along with some nifty drill from Steve Brubaker. Colts made finals two years later in 1993 with their seasons show.

• Like 1

Sky Ryders were 12th in 1991 with their Camelot show along with some nifty drill from Steve Brubaker. Colts made finals two years later in 1993 with their seasons show.

that's right. I always get the year for Colts wrong. Camelot was good too.

I personally don't think ANY drum corps show translates that well onto video. You lose so much of the nuance and power. Even with BD and a great video/sound system. This is probably most especially true of more subtle and musically sophisticated programs such as the ones we are discussing.

Maybe. I don't think I've been to a live DCI show since 2008 or 2009. I've seen most seasons via FN and while knowing I'm not getting the full effect I've still enjoyed MANY programs, "gotten" most of the design ideas, etc. I think DCI translates OK for the most part to video, even if the caveat is DCI translates significantly better live when you can choose to visually follow whatever you want, get a better idea of blended arrangements, see cool visual stuff the video crew didn't focus on at a particular moment, etc.

I think, however, Bluecoats 2015 is a significantly different case than the average show. Their show seems to be all about the concept of acoustic physics, and that is something that doesn't really translate at all video video I think. I love the idea of the show, and I've had designers & fans explain it in depth; I can watch the show and appreciate the visual design & arranging, as well as performances. But the acoustic physics stuff is difficult to convey short of the most amazing surround-sound stereo mix on a Blu-ray + amazing surround-sound home theater setup.

How did their show play in a movie theater? Is that presentation mixed for awesome surround sound or is it just standard stereo?

The tenors. Ohh - the tenors!! All 60 or so of them. Slight exaggeration but #### that was FUN

It really was a cool effect, and I love watching rehearsal or warm-up footage of that battery in the lot. From what I understand, the snare line was hating it since the tenor drums were too high and the snares were too low (or vice-versa, I don't remember) so nothing was really super comfortable. As a snare drummer (who played tenors in high school) I don't know if I would love & have a blast with that show (the snare book seemed pretty awesome to me throughout, and I love how the 1994 WSS percussion feature in "Rumble" quoted the 91 Berstein piece in the battery book) or if the coolness would wear off and I'd quickly hate the discomfort + weight of those tenors all summer.

Regardless, I think IMO it's easily the most under-appreciate Cadets show of Hopkins' tenure as Director: it's certainly their lowest-placing and only non-Top 5 show of his history as Director. I don't know if that's because judges just flat-out didn't like the show, or the competition that season was just off-the-hook competitive (certainly the Top 3 at least, with Miss Saigon & Conversations in Jazz not too far behind). Looking at the recaps 4-6 seem pretty spread-out, with GE judges split heavily:

* Cadets in GE Brass 6th, BD GE Percussion 9th, and SCV GE Vis 6th

* BD winning Brass, SCV 7th, Cadets 5th

* SCV tying 1st Percussion, BD 9th, Cadets 5th (with PR 7th!)

* Cadets & Devs tied 4th in percussion (w/captions splits of Cadets 6 Field/3 Ensemble; BD 7 Field/1 Ensemble) and SCV 6th

Really crazy/interesting caption judging in 1991 where medaling & placement maybe came down to who has the least-weak Caption. Star won DCI by .7 with 4th place in Field Vis, and Top 3 everything else (tying 1st Percussion with Cavaliers & SCV; tying 1st GE with Phantom, tying 1st Brass with BD, and 3rd in overall Vis!)

Would have been a fun year for the fans, it seems!

** EDIT **

sorry for hijacking ish this thread studying the 91 recaps. It does seem like a loaded Top 6 where all corps had their strengths and weakness; Cadets were the only corps in Top 6 who did not win a Caption: has that happened since?!

Edited by perc2100

But the acoustic physics stuff is difficult to convey short of the most amazing surround-sound stereo mix on a Blu-ray + amazing surround-sound home theater setup.

How did their show play in a movie theater? Is that presentation mixed for awesome surround sound or is it just standard stereo?

The theater where I watched is usually the primary non-IMAX 3D screen room, so the sound was maxed out. Having heard the show at the Ga Dome a few weeks earlier, I knew it would be impossible to capture in the theater, but it was enough that most of the folks watching were really impressed.

Wow, you think Star 1993 was underscored? No it wasn't. The Medea show finished second by 1/10 of one point. I saw both live that year. It lost because the Cadets show was better and MUCH more interesting.

In MY opinion.

And not that it matters, the Blue Coats 2015 show was not "underscored" either. It finished 3rd, less than one point from first place. Frankly I would have placed it lower.

Edited by wvu80

Wow, you think Star 1993 was underscored? No it wasn't. The Medea show finished second by 1/10 of one point. I saw both live that year. It lost because the Cadets show was better and MUCH more interesting.

In MY opinion.

And not that it matters, the Blue Coats 2015 show was not "underscored" either. It finished 3rd, less than one point from first place. Frankly I would have placed it lower.

Yeah - well. We all have opinions. I would have had Star win by a mile (and I'm a Cadets fan) -- and as far as Coats this past season, I would have had them over Crown and possibly beating BD by taking GE, which in my view the program had in spades. JMO.