Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

drumcorpsfever, on 17 Sept 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:snapback.png

However, if you want to classify "Noise" as a game-changer, I disagree.

I believe the syncing musically and rhythmically with the electronics setup was game changing as that is not easy from a front to back or side to side environment.

I can agree with you though that the "what" of it could be a non-game changer.

Yeah, I think Bluecoats actual show isn't necessarily a game changer, and maybe will never be as memorable (or infamous) as Star 1993. But the music/sound design of the program feels revolutionary and different, and an interesting way to explore different aspects of acoustic physics that I don't think we've seen before in DCI.

I do think it would be hard to mimic or recycle with the frequency of "body sculpting" or asymmetrical drill was. It's maybe more of an inspirational thing that could cause designers to try new things than it is a "lets copy that idea next year" type of thing: maybe more subtly influencing than the obvious body movement stuff from Star 1993.

FWIW I think the activity hasn't really had any major innovations in design since Star 1993. Obviously Cavaliers visual design trend 1999-2006ish were influential, and BD's WGI-in-arenas approach is influential: but nothing to the extent of Star 1993 IMO. As a game changer of that magnitude it would be difficult to find something that has such a far-reaching, long-lasting trend, though I look forward to hopefully the summer it happens! Many friends of mine in 1993 looked at Star as gimmicky, but their entire approach felt like a radical departure, even when I first saw them before they went to the white (creme?) uniforms in mid or early June.

* edit *

after reading the original post I realized I jumped off the handle based on one sentence probably taken out of context. Like, I took it naively out of context

Edited by perc2100

What do you folks think was the last big musical evolution of design? Star 1993 or Cavaliers 1999/2000ish, or BD recently are easy to maybe pinpoint as influential and evolutionary fundamental design trend shifts, but what do we think was the last huge music design revolution?

Someone else would be better at describing this, but the integration of recorded sound with live music. 2011 was the genesis of this, to me - BD, Crown, Cavies. (Cavies did it quite a bit in 2010, though seemed mostly alone that year).

I'm not referring to "electronics," as I don't consider BAC 2004 or Crown 2004 or Cadets 2006 revolutionary. But we're seeing more overlay between recorded sound/music with live music from most everyone now.

Serious question:

Had the Blue Devils done Kinetic Noise would there be this debate?

Probably not. But it is mostly the Blue Devils, more than any other corps, that has shifted the paradigm in drum corps. The shfit in show design began years ago - not 2015. One can only hope that 2016 will be a whole new story.

Someone else would be better at describing this, but the integration of recorded sound with live music. 2011 was the genesis of this, to me - BD, Crown, Cavies. (Cavies did it quite a bit in 2010, though seemed mostly alone that year).

I'm not referring to "electronics," as I don't consider BAC 2004 or Crown 2004 or Cadets 2006 revolutionary. But we're seeing more overlay between recorded sound/music with live music from most everyone now.

Yeah the "Mad World" show had some cool electronic effects. I don't remember a ton of stuff in 2011, besides the pianist featured soloist in Crown's show and some of the Cavaliers' sampled stuff (that was my least favorite Blue Devils show in a loooooong time so I haven't revisited that show since Semifinals that year). I guess you could argue that season was when electronics started to be used for more than just chords/doubling low brass/ambient stuff.

While I'm not a visual-oriented person per say, it's much easier to see the design trends radically change visually than maybe musically. When did the shorter musical phrases start to become en vogue (the "chop & bop" that many around here like to refer to it as)?

drumcorpsfever, on 17 Sept 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:snapback.png

Yeah, I think Bluecoats actual show isn't necessarily a game changer, and maybe will never be as memorable (or infamous) as Star 1993. But the music/sound design of the program feels revolutionary and different, and an interesting way to explore different aspects of acoustic physics that I don't think we've seen before in DCI.

I don't think it will be as memorable because to me, the show doesn't play well on video. Live it was great, but I have no desire to watch any videos of it becuase without the effects as they are meant to be heard, there's not much meat to the music (at least the brass) for me and I come away not remembering anything. Last year I couldn't stop humming Hymn of Acxion, this year as soon as the video is done I cant remember any of the melodies. Anyway, just my personal opinion.

perc_2100 said: Now THAT would be a gimmick...

Actually, I'm talking about the use of electronics in 2014 not the tilting. It was integrated far more effectively than 2015.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

What do you folks think was the last big musical evolution of design? Star 1993 or Cavaliers 1999/2000ish, or BD recently are easy to maybe pinpoint as influential and evolutionary fundamental design trend shifts, but what do we think was the last huge music design revolution?

One that comes to mind for me was '91 cadets when they put John Adams on the field. I don't recall anyone before them doing minimalist music. It was my first exposure to the style and hooked me for life.

One that comes to mind for me was '91 cadets when they put John Adams on the field. I don't recall anyone before them doing minimalist music. It was my first exposure to the style and hooked me for life.

I don't know...he looks a little old to me..plus, I think he would have been in the 2014 show if any.

john_adams.jpg

...or our 1971 Revolutionary War show, come to think of it... :tounge2:

07-04-2008092933AM.jpg

• Like 1