Cadets 2016

Tobias

please don't injure babies during the Cadets 2016 performances! :)

George, have you been to any camps? I know you're an insider...

Funny you say that. I saw the Cadets 2005 early in the season and I was very skeptical. I found it querky and wierd and not very Cadet like. I was with a friend who marched Cadets with me and she turned to me after the show and said very definitively it was the best drum corps show she'd ever seen. Funny.. I came around as it was tweeted and cleaned but we saw very different things early on,

I felt that way in 2011. Saw them 2nd show out of the gate, and it was a boring mess. Somewhere along the way it turned great. :)

Mike

I'll wait for something official. Wouldn't be the first time though.

Honestly though if every corps was as open with their design processes we'd probably see that lots of corps at some point in the past have scrapped ideas or even started over. We just don't hear about it. Still HIGHLY applaud their transparency and look into what goes on between August and June. No one else even remotely comes close to it.

:withstupid:

Mike

OMG. Dude. You've GOT to go listen.

THIS is Asphalt Cocktail ('Coats, '11, I think?) Put on phones, crank it, and hang on.

Ok I can see (and hear) the significance of John Mackey's comment on WDS. The above is fantastic.

Mackey's definitely a rockstar in the band world right now. Great music and a seemingly hilarious and cool guy.

I've either played or heard some of his music locally just about every year since 2010 where I go to college/went to high school and some summer camps. Xerxes, Asphault Cocktail, Turbine, Highwire, Foundry, Aurora Awakes, Strange Humors, Lightning Fields, and Kingfishers Catch Fire off of the top of my head. Very distinct and ridiculously intense music. Also takes A LOT of time to set up and tear down as a percussionist. :p

Very cool choice from the Cadets. I knew Wine Dark Sea would be used pretty fast after that amazing TMEA premiere. Would have definitely picked someone like Bluecoats first. I like the breaking stereotypes thing. That hornline and percussion + that intense music = VERY fun.

Edited by DrumManTx

Complete with John Mackey commenting on listening to Cadets camp:

http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1169-new-music-by-mackey-for-the-cadets

Such cool stuff. Those last three brass spots are now filled too. Cadets since around 2013 have such intense music..

Mackey's definitely a rockstar in the band world right now. Great music and a seemingly hilarious and cool guy.

I've either played or heard some of his music locally just about every year since 2010 where I go to college/went to high school and some summer camps. Xerxes, Asphault Cocktail, Turbine, Highwire, Foundry, Aurora Awakes, Strange Humors, Lightning Fields, and Kingfishers Catch Fire off of the top of my head. Very distinct and ridiculously intense music. Also takes A LOT of time to set up and tear down as a percussionist. :p

Very cool choice from the Cadets. I knew Wine Dark Sea would be used pretty fast after that amazing TMEA premiere. Would have definitely picked someone like Bluecoats first. I like the breaking stereotypes thing. That hornline and percussion + that intense music = VERY fun.

Sorry if this is too erudite, but to me Mackey is not just a musical star but the literary source work he pivots his pieces on is amazing and super well read.

His Wine-Dark Sea is based on Homer's description of what he sees of sailors of his time and the condition of the drinking wine.

Kingfishers Catch Fire (commissioned in Japan) is also the name of a poem written by the English Jesuit Gerard Manley Hopkins who lived concurrent with our Civil War era and was part of the high school curriculum I studied back in the late '60's. (Note the rhythm and pacing of the poem; a literary genius.) (poem is at end of this post)

Marian Catholic Marching Band did a field show based on a different G.M. Hopkins poem.

In all this Mackey reminds me of Cadets' percussion arranger Colin MacNutt with his college degrees in Latin and Greek plus the music percussion we all know him for and love. Much more than surface level composing here on both.

Some have criticized that the Cadets shows, though technical, have been too cerebral. WSD certainly isn't but it is definitely complex yet exciting. No wonder the other Hopkins liked it.

As Kingfishers Catch Fire

BY GERARD MANLEY HOPKINS

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame;
As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell's
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
Selves — goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,
Crying Whát I dó is me: for that I came.

I say móre: the just man justices;
Keeps grace: thát keeps all his goings graces;
Acts in God's eye what in God's eye he is —
Chríst — for Christ plays in ten thousand places,
Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
To the Father through the features of men's faces.
Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2