Cadets 2016

Tobias

So it seems the show concept is being altered not scrapped. Glad the statues are still in. That could be really neat. More staging and emphasis on guard vs frenzied movement. A different viz product from Cadets. They were not rewarded for moving last year so I guess they're adapting.

So it seems the show concept is being altered not scrapped. Glad the statues are still in. That could be really neat. More staging and emphasis on guard vs frenzied movement. A different viz product from Cadets. They were not rewarded for moving last year so I guess they're adapting.

Definitely gives the impression that they seem to be 'playing the game' so to speak. The activity certainly has placed more reward on staging, effect, and "moments", which IMO are hit and miss with this design team.

2005 was the last time I'd say they nailed this concept of design.

Still very much intrigued with the idea.

• Like 1

Definitely gives the impression that they seem to be 'playing the game' so to speak. The activity certainly has placed more reward on staging, effect, and "moments", which IMO are hit and miss with this design team.

Kinda saddens me a little. I wish it were possible to be rewarded for both movement AND "staging, effect, and 'moments'". I'll try to keep an open mind because we still do not know what the show will look like, but I'm still hoping they incorporate some of their more traditional technique in addition to the other elements that get more rewards than anything else. HOWEVER, I am still excited the show concept (well, most of it) is still in.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Too many new faces on viz team to predict one way or the other but the previous viz team, I agree. Hit or mostly miss.

Kinda saddens me a little. I wish it were possible to be rewarded for both movement AND "staging, effect, and 'moments'". I'll try to keep an open mind because we still do not know what the show will look like, but I'm still hoping they incorporate some of their more traditional technique in addition to the other elements that get more rewards than anything else.

I'm sure some of the signature "Cadets movement and drill" will remain. That's who they are but eventually you need to see what's rewarded and adjust to stay competitive.
  • Like 1

Disagreed. How many folks even know that Respighi meant for the fourth movement to represent Roman soldiers marching down Via Appia? I suspect few.

Drum corps design, to me, is all about programming for moods. Designers pick music that fits that mood, then arrange it to better fit the mood.

A couple recent examples to me of where the original tune seemed to be an odd fit (and certainly away from the original intent of the composer) but was transformed to fit the mood: Crown's use of Sensemaya in 2009 and Copland's Organ Symphony in 2015. Especially Sensemaya, as it lost much of its latin feel in 2009, but it worked.

Shows me you understand my point. And you're probably right that most wouldn't know, but I'd bet they'd care. And I think Cadets would take it as important to teach their fans (and MMs!) what their source music was written to mean (Pines was NOT "Stoned"). Like several here already, apparently, who learned something new about Respighi's libretto, I think Cadets would respect the source enough to not overlay it on another theme.

I, personally, think it's an obligation, and one they take seriously.

When I designed my house the architect said "Colonial. Sure I get it." And I said, "No, Federalist. Like I survived the worst." He got it then.

Same with Via Appia. Teach the source and be true.

Edited by garfield

Frankly I thought for sure it was either Cadets in 1st or a tie with BD this last summer.

2015 is by far my favorite Cadets show and I hope they do more stuff like it.

Yea OK I saw it on FN or what ever they called it. I was totally blown away by Cadets more so than I have have before.

• Like 1

I did predict at the end of Championships in August on a thread here on DCP that the Cadets would tone down significantly now their high speed velocity drills. The Cadets move on the field like nobody else. That velocity is demanding, but no longer rewarded as such by the new judging sheets. Judges now are rewarding staging much more now. Thats been clear to me for awhile now. ( nobody does staging better than BD currently, imo ). So it was no surprise at all to hear GH confirm in this clip that the Cadets will tone down the high velocity marching we've known from them and gravitate more now toward more staging with their MM's with their production for this season.

Edited by BRASSO

I did predict at the end of Championships in August on a thread here on DCP that the Cadets would tone down significantly now their high speed velocity drills. The Cadets move on the field like nobody else. That velocity is demanding, but no longer rewarded as such by the new judging sheets. Judges now are rewarding staging much more now. Thats been clear to me for awhile now. ( nobody does staging better than BD currently, imo ). So it was no surprise at all to hear GH confirm in this clip that the Cadets will tone down the high velocity marching we've known from them and gravitate more now toward more staging with their MM's with their production for this season.

Crown has done it to a degree too. showing the same skill over and over and over again doesnt make it the most demanding. i've been saying that for years